The Motorola Edge Plus is a smartphone designed to help Motorola make a come back in the flagship category. This comes after Motorola spent a couple of years manufacturing smartphones weren’t flagships. The Motorola Edge plus packs flagship hardware in an attractive chassis.
Motorola Edge Plus Key Specs and Features
- 6.7-inch OLED Display, 1080 x 2340 Pixels, (385 ppi)
- Android 10.0
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Processor (7 nm+)
- 12GB RAM
- 256GB Built-in Storage
- Fingerprint Sensor (Under Display, Optical)
- 108MP + 8MP + 16MP + TOF Quad Camera
- 25MP Front Camera
- 5000 mAh Non-Removable Battery
Design and Display
The main story on the Motorola Edge plus design is its edge to edge display which gives 90 degrees wrap around the left and right side. This display is similar to what we saw on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.
This 6.7-inch display is powered by an OLED panel. It has a screen resolution of 1080 x 2340 Pixels, a screen density of 385 PPI, and a 90Hz refresh rate. This sets it back on cheaper Android smartphones like Oneplus 8 Pro which offers 1440 resolution alongside a 120Hz refresh rate.
The rear of the Motorola Edge Plus is home to a camera bump housing triple cameras, an extra above its camera flash, and the Motorola logo mascot which indicates its a Motorola smartphone.
The Motorola Edge Plus build comprises of a Gorilla Glass upfront and an Aluminium. There is no word on the IP rating, which clearly indicates that it isn’t dust and water-resistant.
The Motorola Edge plus is equipped with camera hardware that sets in a position to compete with the top doughs in the smartphone camera business. It features a quad-camera system on the rear and a single camera up front.
Thanks to this 108MP camera, the Motorola Edge plus can shoot 6K videos at 30fps, which is far cry from the 4k / 8k video norm we have seen on other smartphones.
Its quad rear camera system also comprises of an 8Mp telephoto camera capable of 3x zoom, a 16MP ultra-wide camera and aTOF flight camera for depth information.
This rear camera setup is also capable of shooting 4k videos at 30fps, 1080p at 30, 60, and 120fps. You also get Panorama and HDR for taking stills.
Selfies are manned by a single 25MP camera which is also capable of HDR photos and 1080p videos at 30 and 120fps.
Hardware and Software
The Motorola Edge Plus is packed with smartphone hardware that clearly describes a 2020 flagship smartphone, the kind that is built to tackle power-intensive tasks.
Powering this mobile phone is an Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, an Adreno 650 graphics processing unit 12GB of RAM, 256GB of internal storage, and a non-removable battery.
Having storage options maxed at 256GB for a flagship adds to a bitter taste to the experience. To make matters even worse, it doesn’t support the Micro-SD card, which means storage isn’t expandable.
On the software side, the Motorola Edge plus runs its interface on top of the Android 10.0 operating system.
The Motorola Edge Plus features a 3.5mm jack, USB- Type C port, Dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 5.1, and NFC.
Thanks to its 5G support, downloads, upload, and streaming can benefit from 5G speed, as long as there is 5G reception.
Motorola Edge Plus Price and Availability
The Price of the Motorola Edge Plus is around $1000 which is about 390,000 Naira, 106,990 Kenyan Shillings, and 5,800 Ghana Cedi.
The Motorola Edge Plus was announced on April 22, 2020, and is expected to go on sale in May 2020. It comes in Smokey Sangria and Thunder Grey.
Motorola Edge Plus Specs
Here are a few specs of the Motorola Edge Plus:
- Platform: Android 10.0
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 12GB RAM
- Colours: Smokey Sangria, Thunder Grey
- Dimension: 161.1 x 71.4 x 9.6 mm
- Weight: 203 g
- SIM Type: Nano
- SIM Count: –
- Display: 6.7-inch OLED 1080 x 2340, 385 PPI, 90Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 180 MP (Wide) f/1.8 + 8 MP (Telephoto) f/2.4 + 16 MP (Ultrawide) + TOF (Depth)
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-tone flash, Panorama, HDR, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps
- Front Camera: 25 MP, f/2.0, HDR, [email protected]/120fps
- Built-in Storage: 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: –
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 66, 71
- 5G: 5,41,66,71,77,78 Sub6
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: –
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: –
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, Hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C
- SMS/MMS: –
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with Dual-Band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Maps: –
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: Yes, 15W
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor:
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 18W