Unlike the iPad 10.2 2020, the iPad Air 2020 does pack in features that can be tagged as worthy upgrades over its predecessor, the iPad Air 2019. It features a different chassis design, a more recent / faster processor, improved cameras an improved display and lots more.
Where to Buy iPad Air (2020)
iPad Air (2020) Key Specs & Features
- 10.9-inch Liquid Retina IPS LCD Display, 1620 x 2160 Pixels (264 PPI)
- iPadOS 14
- Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm)
- 64GB / 256GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP Rear Camera
- 7MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint (Top-Mounted)
- Wi-Fi + 4G LTE or Wi-Fi Only
Design and Display
The iPad Air 2020 comes forth with a refined design, that lays waste to the aesthetics we were accustomed to seeing on iPad tablets from the past.
This refined design may be new to this iPad series, but certainly isn’t new to iPad Pro series. The iPad air 2020 looks more like the iPad Pro 2018. This is evident in both the rear and front panel.
One of the most noticed design changes, is the top and bottom bezels that has been shrinked, which paves way for a more refined look.
The fact that the bottom bezel on the display was shrinked, means there isn’t enough room for the fingerprint sensor that used to be embedded in the home button. As such Apple moved the fingerprint sensor to the top, embedding it in the power button.
The display on the iPad air got slightly bigger this year. It moves from being a 10.5 inch on last year’s model, to being 10.9 inch on the 2020 iPad air.
This display is a liquid Retina LCD display with a 1620 x 2160 Pixels, a density of 264 PPI and a 60Hz refresh rate, which unlike its more premium siblings like the iPad Pro 12.9 2020 which has a 120Hz refresh rate.
Whats more, the 2020 iPad air uses the same pen housing system like the 2020 iPads Pro 11. It uses magnets to store the Pen on the side. Which in my opinion is a more convenient way to store the Pen.
The cameras on the iPad Air 2020 also saw a lift, which is geared towards offering enthusiats a more capable hardware for taking photos with the iPad.
This year, Apple is offering a single 12MP rear camera as opposed to the 8MP rear camera on last year’s model. This 12MP cameras has an aperture of f/1.8. It is capable of shooting 4k videos capped at 60fps and also 1080p videos capped at 120fps.
For selfies, we have a 7MP camera with an aperture of f/2.0. It is capable of shooting videos capped at 1080p at 60fps.
Hardware and Software
On the performance side, Apple placed equipped the iPad air 2020 with the A14 bionic chip which notch higher than the processor on the 2020 iPad pros include the iPad Pro 11 2020.
It also packed in a four core Apple GPU. Enthusiats have the option of choosing either 64GB or 256GB built-in storage. Talktime is up to 10hrs.
On the software side, we have got the iPadOS 14. Which is the same as what we have on the iPad 10.2 2020.
The Apple iPad Air 2020 takes a lift from lighting ports to join the league of apple devices using Type-C ports, which paves the way for faster file transfers and allows connection with USB devices.
Much like every other Apple Tablet, the iPad Air 2020, comes WiFi only variant and the WiFi + cellular network variant.
iPad Air 2020 Price and Availability
The Price of the iPad Air 2020 starts at $599 for the Wifi only 64GB variant. This price translates 219,417 Naira in Nigeria, 64,890 KHS in Kenya and 3,448 GHC in Ghana.
The iPad Air 2020 was announced on September 15th 2020 and will be available for purchase from October 2020.
iPad Air (2020) Specs
Here are a few specs of the iPad Air 2020:
- Platform: iPadOS 14
- Processor: Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm)
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Memory: –
- Colours: Space Gray, Silver, Rose Gold, Green, Sky Blue
- Dimension: 247.6 x 178.5 x 6.1 mm
- Weight: 458 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, eSIM
- SIM Count: –
- Display: 10.9 – Inch Liquid Retina IPS LCD, 1640 x 2360 Pixels, (264 PPI)
- Screen Protection: Scratch-resistant Glass, Oleophobic Coating
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/3″, 1.22µm, dual pixel PDAF
- Rear Camera Features: 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 7 MP Camera, f/2.0, 31mm (standard), HDR, 1080p@30/60fps
- Built-in Storage: 64GB, 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 29, 30, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2324 – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66 – A2072
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: –
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: –
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, EDR
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; magnetic connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS (LTE model only)
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Siri
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: –
- Talktime: Up to 10 hours
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: –