The Motorola Razr 5G succeeds the Motorola Razr 2019, bringing to table upgrades that make for a more capable clamshell smartphone with a foldable display. Highlights of the upgrades include a more powerful processor, improved cameras, a bigger battery more storage, and lots more.
Motorola Razr 5G Key Specs & Features
- 6.2-inch, Foldable P-OLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1440 X 3040 pixels 371 PPI (Unfolded)
- Second external G-OLED display, 2.7 inches, 600 x 800 Pixels
- Android 10
- 8GB RAM
- Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm)
- 256GB built-in Storage
- 48MP Camera
- 15W Fast Charging Capacity
- non-removable 2,800mAh Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Motorola Razr 5G takes cues from its predecessor, offering a very similar design and form factor. Its the same clamshell engrossing a foldable display.
Both the former and the later smartphone may bear similar design and form factor, but certainly aren’t the same thing. Motorola made some changes.
For starters, Motorola made provisions for a more premium build. In lieu of the plastic build prop, we had on the Razr 2019, the Razr 5G makes do with Gorilla Glass on the rear, aluminum on the frame, and stainless steel on the hinge cover.
Speaking of hinge cover, the hinge is now rated for 200,000 actuation, which translates to about 110 open/close cycles a day for 5 years.
Onto the placements, Perusing the chassis, you would discover the fingerprint reader was moved from the bottom chin to the Motorola logo on the rear. Which in my opinion is a better placement for good ergonomics.
The outer display on the folded clamshell was reserved. This means that enthusiasts will have the same 2.7-inch display bearing a resolution of 800 x 600, just like we got on the Razr 2019. However, Motorola uplifted the capability of this display, which makes the display more useful.
Enthusiasts can now pin 8 apps for quick access. Apps that could include your music player, dialer, google maps, and a suite of other useful apps you would love to get quick access.
Unfolding the clamshell reveals that Motorola didn’t just only reserve the outer display, but also the inner display. Inside the clamshell, is the same 6.2-inch Plastic OLED display, with a screen resolution of 876 x 2142 pixels and a density of 373 PPI.
Motorola once again managed to once again pull through the Razr’s display without having the issues of a conspicuous crease, as we have seen on the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G.
The Razr 5G offers enthusiasts triple color options, these options include Polished Graphite, Liquid Mercury, and blush Gold
The camera department on the Razr 5G shows improvements over last year’s Razr 2019. This year Motorola is offering enthusiasts more capable camera hardware.
For starters, the primary camera on the top lid was upgraded to a 48MP camera in lieu of the 16MP camera on last year’s model. This camera has an aperture of f/1.7. Its capable of shoot 4k videos capped at 30fps and also 1080p videos capped at 120fps.
The selfie camera inside the fold is now a 20MP camera in lieu to the 5MP camera we got last year. This camera has an aperture of f/2.2 and is capable of shooting videos up to 1080p @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
Performance-wise, the Razr 5G continues in the part of the upper mid-range category. Its unarguably the list foldable smartphone when it comes to performance, which is placed behind the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip.
It may not have pioneered from upper mid-range to flagship, but it does feature a more powerful upper-mid range processor when compared to its predecessor.
Onboard is an Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 765 processor, in lieu of the Snapdragon 710 processor we got on last year’s model. It also made a jump from the 6GB RAM / 128GB combo from last year, to a more capable 8GB RAM / 256GB built-in storage combo.
The battery was also slightly upgraded. It moved from the 2510mAh capacity from last year to 2800mAh here. However, it does retain the 15W fast charge capacity.
On the software side, we have got Its user interface running on the Android 10 operating system.
The Motorola Razr 5G features a USB Type C Port, a Dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.1, and NFC. Please note that it doesn’t feature a headphone jack.
Thanks to the new processor, Internet connectivity on the Razr 5G is capped at 5G, which means enthusiasts can utilize 5G internet connectivity for streaming, downloads, and uploads.
Motorola Razr 5G Price and Availability
The price of the Razr 5G is around $1,399, which translates to 535,817 Naira in Nigeria, 8,087 GHC in Ghana, 151,578 KHS in Kenya.
The Motorola Razr 5G was announced on September 9th 2020 and is currently available for purchase.
Motorola Razr 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Motorola Razr 5G:
- Platform: Android 10
- Processor: Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Polished Graphite, Blush Gold, Liquid Mercury
- Dimension: 169.2 x 72.6 x 7.9 mm (Unfolded) , 91.7 x 72.6 x 16 mm (Folded)
- Weight: 192 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM and/or eSIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.2-inch, Foldable P-OLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1440 X 3040 pixels 371 PPI (Unfolded) + Second external G-OLED display, 2.7 inches, 600 x 800 Pixels
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: Yes
- Rear Camera: 48MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm,
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, PDAF, OIS, Auto HDR, Panorama
- Front Camera: 20MP, f/2.2, (wide), 0.8µm, Auto HDR, [email protected]/60fps
- Built-in Storage: 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: –
- 5G: –
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB 3.1, USB Type-C 1.0 Reversible Connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Rear Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 2800 mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 15W Capacity