Samsung finally kicked off the Galaxy event which brings the new Samsung Galaxy Z Flip making it the second foldable smartphone from Samsung.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Key Specs & Features
- 6.7 inches Foldable Dynamic AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2636 pixels (~425 ppi density)
- Cover display: 1.1″, Super AMOLED, 112 x 300 pixels
- Android 10.0; One UI 2
- Octa-core Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855+ (7 nm)
- 256 GB Built-in Storage
- 8 GB RAM
- 12 MP + 12 MP Dual Rear Camera
- 10 MP Front Camera
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- 4G LTE Network
- Fingerprint (Side-Mounted)
- 15W Fast Battery Charging Capacity
- Wireless Charging
During the launch event, Samsung introduces the new S20 series, but the Galaxy Z Flip stole the spotlight. This is the second in the foldable family. The device parades a proper foldable display.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip packs a largely different spin on the foldable formula – unlike the Galaxy Fold that when unfolded it becomes a Tablet size, this one will still remain a regular phone. It’s built with glass both on the back and front and also comes with an aluminum frame.
When unfolded, it measures 167.3 x 73.6 x 7.2 mm in dimensions while when folded it has 87.4 x 73.6 x 17.3 mm. The entire body weighs 183 grams.
On the front, you will get a 6.7-inch flexible hole-punch display covered with Ultra-Thin Glass (UTG). The company designed the phone to be used in three ways.
The close mode allow you to operates it by using the small 1.1” Super AMOLED cover display on the back, while the open mode that is when the phone is opened up flat can also be used as the normal regular phone and lastly is the Flex Mode, where the display can be stopped at any angle just the same way you adjust screen of your laptop.
In flex mode, some apps have been designed to make the best use of this position. For example, when you adjust the flex to the upper part, it will play a YouTube video while the lower part can display the chat or comment section of the video you’re playing.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is built around a tall 22:9 6.7″ Dynamic AMOLED. It has a resolution of 1080 x 2636 pixels and 425 PPI density with display protection that is scratch resistant.
On the camera, the flip phone has a 12MP sensor with f/1.8 aperture and a big 1.4µm pixels. The camera is paired with an ultrawide unit of the same 12MP resolution that has a smaller sensor and slower F/2.2 aperture.
The front camera is 10MP resolution and f/2.4 which is a step behind the Galaxy S10 series. The good news here is that the phone can be folded into a different angle and laid flat on a table for entirely new video calls or self-recording.
Hardware and Software
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip packs a Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855+ chipset that is built with 7nm process technology. The SOC has an octa-core processor clocking at a speed of 2.95 GHz. It has Adreno 640 GPU.
The internal storage on the phone is 256GB with ample RAM of 8GB. It has no slot for micro SD. The fingerprint scanner is on the side.
Battery and Network
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is backed by a Non Removable battery of 3300mAh with support for 15W fast charge and it ships with One UI 2 based on Android 10.0 operating system with One UI 2 on top.
The battery also has support for wireless charging. Other noteworthy features include loudspeakers tuned by AKG, 4G LTE, NFC and 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip price starts at around $1380 which roughly converts to 500,000 Naira in Nigeria.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is now available for purchase. The phone will be coming with a Thom Browne Edition Limited Edition that will be available in New York. It will come with a free YouTube Premium subscription and will include a pair of AKG USB Type-C earphones and a case inside the box.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip:
- Platform: Android 10.0; One UI 2
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855+ (7 nm), Octa-core (2.95 GHz Kryo 485 & 2.41 GHz Tri-core Kryo 485 & 1.78 GHz Quad-core Kryo 485)
- GPU: Adreno 640 (700 MHz)
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Colours: Mirror Black, Mirror Purple, Mirror Gold
- Dimension: Unfolded: 167.3 x 73.6 x 7.2 mm, Folded: 87.4 x 73.6 x 17.3 mm
- Weight: 183 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, eSIM
- SIM Count: Dual Nano-SIM, eSIM
- Display: 6.7 inches Foldable Dynamic AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2636 pixels (~425 ppi density)
- Screen Protection: Yes
- Foldable Display: Yes, 1.1″, Super AMOLED, 112 x 300 pixels
- Rear Camera: 12 MP (wide) + 12 MP (ultrawide), [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/240fps, [email protected], HDR10+
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Front Camera: 10 MP (wide), [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 256 GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes
- 2G GSM: Yes, GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 14(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 46(5200), 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: Yes
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (side-mounted)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 3300 mAh battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, Fast battery charging 15W