Samsung Galaxy S10 is the 10th iteration of Sammy’s flagship Galaxy S family. Launched in February 2019 at Samsung’s first Unpacked event of the year to mark the tenth anniversary of the Galaxy S range alongside other members of the Galaxy S10 Series and the all new Samsung Galaxy Fold with a foldable display, the smartphone offers a new Infinity-O display, a triple-camera, on-screen fingerprint sensor, more powerful hardware and software all wrapped in a gorgeous build.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy S10
Samsung Galaxy S10 Key Specs & Features
- 6.1-inch, Dynamic AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1440 X 3040 pixels (550 ppi)
- Always On Display, HDR10
- Android 9.0 (Pie), One UI with 8GB RAM
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 (USA, China, Latin America), Octa-core Exynos 9810 (EMEA)
- 128GB / 512GB Built-in Storage, up to 512GB Memory Card
- 12MP + 12MP + 16MP Triple Rear Camera
- 10MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE
- Fingerprint Sensor (under Display)
- Fast Wireless Charging
- Water and Dust Proof (IP68 certification)
- 3,400 mAh Non Removable Li-ion Battery
The Design and Display
The Samsung Galaxy S10 comes with a new design. You now get an all-screen design with an infinity display. However, Samsung had a new take on how to implement the front camera.
Rather than use the top-notch design to house the front facing camera like most smartphones with infinity display like the Oppo A7 and Infinix Hot 6X, the Galaxy S10 has an O-shaped cut-out in the top-right corner of the display.
This is the reason why Samsung calls the display an infinity-O display to indicate that it is an infinity display with an O-shaped cutout.
The front is all-screen with bezels barely visibly. Even the speaker (earpiece) has moved to the very fringes of the top almost aligning with the top bezel.
The new all-screen design means the Samsung Galaxy S10 can be built with a bigger display while still being somewhat more comfortable to handle than its predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy S9.
Despite adding more screen real-estate, the smartphone is just about 2mm taller and wider than its predecessor. It is however slightly thinner. This means you have a bigger screen that is comfortable to hold.
Samsung Galaxy S10 features a brilliant 6.1-inch Dynamic AMOLED display that promises deep blacks and and a crisp view, thanks to the 1440 x 3040 pixels, HDR10, and 19:9 aspect ratio.
The display is protected by a Corning Gorilla Glass 6. The is IP68 rated, which means has water and dust resistance. The smartphone can survive submersion in water of up to 1.5 metre level for up to 30 minutes.
The mobile phone will be available in Prism Green, Prism White, Prism Black, and Prism Blue.
In-Display Fingerprint Sensor
Despite offering an infinity display, Samsung is moving the fingerprint sensor from the back of the Galaxy S10. With nowhere to place it in the front, the biometric sensor is now being place under the screen.
The under-display fingerprint sensor on the Samsung Galaxy S10 is an ultrasonic sensor that uses soundwaves to capture 3D representation of every single ridge on your finger.
Want to unlock the the Galaxy S10? Just press the power button and the fingerprint sign will appear on the display. Place your finger on it to unlock your phone.
In 2018, Samsung introduced dual rear camera in the Galaxy S range with dual rear camera provided on the Galaxy S9 Plus that brought bokeh effect.
This year, Samsung is taking things further with the introduction of additional camera, to make it a tri-camera setup on the back of the flagship smartphone.
The rear camera setup consists of a 12 megapixels main camera with Optical Image Stabilisation, dual pixel phase detection autofocus, and an aperture capable of f/1.5 and f/2.4 and a 12 megapixels telephoto lens camera with 2X optical zoom.
The new third camera is a 16 megapixels ultra-wide angle camera. This enables 0.5X wide-angle shots. The rear camera can record 4k videos at 60fps.
Slow motion recording is maintained at the same levels as the S9, with the Samsung Galaxy S10 recording 1080p full HD videos at up to 240fps and 720p HD videos at up to 960fps.
We have already mentioned briefly the front facing camera housed on the O-cutout on top right corner of the edge to edge display. What we have not told you yet is that the camera is a 10 megapixels camera with dual-pixel phase detection autofocus.
Hardware and Software
Samsung is keeping with its tradition of offering two different options for processor depending on your region. The Samsung Galaxy S10 will offer the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 in the United States, Latin America, and China.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 (SDM855) is an octa-core processor consisting of tri-core processor, quad-core processor, and a single-core processor clocked at 2.4GHz, 1.7GHz and 2.8GHz respectively.
The rest of the world (Europe, South Korea, Middle East, and Africa) gets the Samsung Galaxy S10 with the company’s octa-core Exynos 9820 Octa processor.
The Exynos 9820 Octa also comes in a tri-cluster architecture, but consisting of two dual-core processors clocked at 2.7GHz and 2.3GHz respectively and a quad-core processor clocked at 1.7GHz.
No matter the chipset on your smartphone, you will get an 8GB RAM. Given the performance capacity of these two processors, it is fair to expect outstanding performance from the Samsung Galaxy S10.
For example, Samsung boasts that its new processor (Exynos 9820 Octa) is 40% more efficient than the one provided for the Galaxy S9. And considering that Galaxy S10 is getting an improvement in battery capacity from 3000 mAh to 3400 mAh, you should also expect some improvement in battery life.
The battery charging will not take too long as the smartphone supports fast charging whether you choose wired charging or wireless charging.
For built-in storage, Samsung Galaxy S10 offers 128GB or 512GB built-in storage. If need more storage space, the Galaxy phone has you well covered with support for up to 512GB microSD card.
A new One UI OS
Samsung Galaxy S10 runs on the new One UI out of the box. Built on Android 9 Pie, the One UI focuses on making it quite easy for one-handed use for the the big screen.
The Samsung Galaxy S10 retains the 3.5mm jack and the USB Type C (USB 3.1). Other connectivity options include dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, and NFC.
It also comes with support for global LTE (Cat20) with support for up to 2000 Mbps download speed. Samsung Galaxy S10 will support all major networks in Nigeria including MTN, 9Mobile, Airtel, and Glo Mobile.
As for 5G, the standard model will not offer 5G, but there will be a Samsung Galaxy S10 5G with a bigger display, which is expected in June 2019.
Samsung Galaxy S10 Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy S10 Price in Nigeria starts at around 190,000 Naira. The Galaxy S10 Plus price starts at around $229 in the United States, 209 GBP in the United Kingdom, 37,900 KES in Kenya, and 2,039 GHC in Ghana.
The official launch price of the Samsung Galaxy S10 was £799 (around $779, AU$1,400, NGN 377,000) for the 128GB variant and £999 (472,527 Naira) for 512GB of storage.
Preorder for the Galaxy S10 began on February 22 and it went on sale starting on March 7 and March 14, 2019.
Samsung Galaxy S10 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy S10:
- Platform: Android 9 (Pie), One UI, Samsung DeX
- Processor: Octa Core Processor, 2×2.7 GHz Mongoose M4 & 2×2.3 GHz Cortex-A75 & 4×1.9 GHz Cortex-A55 (Exynos 9820 Octa) Or Octa Core Processor, 1×2.8 GHz Kryo 485 & 3×2.4 GHz Kryo 485 & 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 485 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 855)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP12 or Adreno 640
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Prism Green, Prism White, Prism Black, and Prism Blue
- Dimension: 162.6 x 77.1 x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 198 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM or Dual SIM
- Display: 6.1-inch Dynamic AMOLED Display, 1440 x 3040 pixels, Always-On Display, HDR10
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (wide) + 12MP (Telephoto) + 16MP (ultrawide) Tri-Camera
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, Auto-HDR, Panorama, Autofocus (Telephoto), 2x Optical Zoom (Telephoto), f/2.4 (Telephoto), OIS (wide & Telephoto), f/1.5-2.4 (wide), Dual Pixel PDAF (wide), [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], video HDR, Dual-Video Recording
- Front Camera: 10MP Camera, f/1.9, Dual Pixel PDAF
- Built-in Storage: 128GB or 512GB
- Memory Card Support: up to 512GB microSD
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1900 MHz (optional)
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes (optional)
- 4G LTE: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100) – Global; 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 14(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 46, 66(1700/2100), 71(600) – USA
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes (optional)
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 2000 Mbps (download)
- 5G: –
- WLAN: –
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type C (USB 3.1)
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes (optional)
- Loudspeaker: Yes, Stereo Speakers, Dolby Atmos/AKG Sound
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: Yes
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: Yes
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (under-display)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes, Bixby
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes (Fast Wireless Charging)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: Yes (1.5m of water in 30 minutes)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 3,400 mAh Li-ion Battery (Non-Removable)
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes