The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G can be best described as a fix to the majority of the shortcomings on the first-gen Samsung Galaxy Fold. It was designed with conscious efforts to lay waste to the factors that made the first-gen galaxy fold a bit unpractical. In summary, Samsung is offering a more capable foldable smartphone with lesser caveats.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G Key Specs & Features
- 7.6-inch, Dynamic AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1768 x 2208 Pixels, 120Hz refresh rate 372 PPI (Unfolded Display)
- 6.23 inches Super AMOLED Cover Display, 816 x 2260 Pixels (Cover Display)
- Android 10, One UI 2.5
- 12GB RAM
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+ (7 nm+)
- 256GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP Triple Rear Camera
- 10MP (Unfolded) Front Camera
- 10MP Cover Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side-Mounted)
- 25W Fast Charging Capacity
- 11W Fast Wireless Charging Capacity
- 4,500mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G features a more refined design that is at the same time more attractive when compared to the previous generation.
For starters, the display on the cover got a lift. It is now a much larger 6.23-inch display with lesser bezels. This is in contrast to the much smaller 4.6-inch display on the original fold which had chunky bezels.
Aside from having a refind look, having a bigger display on the cover, makes using the Galaxy Z fold 2 as a regular mobile phone more practical. This means enthusiasts can conveniently surf the web, reply to texts, and do other tasks in a fashion similar to how they would on regular smartphones.
The Galaxy Z Fold 2 seems to have grown a camera bump on the rear. This is in contrast to the flushed-in cameras we had on its predecessor. This camera bump houses triple cameras and a LED flash.
Unfolding this device, we are greeted with a 7.3 inch dynamic AMOLED display with a resolution of 1768 x 2208 Pixels and a 120Hz refresh rate. Honourable mentions to the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra which also had a 120Hz refresh rate.
This year, Samsung eliminated the notch which housed the front cameras in the unfolded display on the original fold. Instead, they opted for a hole-punch display, which facilitates a more clean look and more screen estate.
Good Riddance To Plastic
In a bid to making the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G display more durable, Samsung ditched the plastic covering on the unfolded display and went forward to replace it with an ultra-thin glass (UTG).
Having the Ultra-thin glass onboard means enthusiasts can bother less about having their display damaged from mistaking peeling of the not so durable plastic covering they had on the previous model.
The cameras on the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G aren’t as high-end as the ones we saw on the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ultra, which also shares the same high-end profile. However, they are certainly no slouch.
The rear camera department houses triple cameras that comprise of a 12MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, a 12MP telephoto camera with an aperture of f/2.4 and a 12MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2.
On the selfie side, we have got a 10MP camera on the cover and another 10MP punch hole camera when unfolded. Both cameras have apertures of f/2.2. They support 4k video record at 30fps and also 1080 video record.
Hardware and Software
Under the hood of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold, 2 5G is an Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus processor, an Adreno 650 graphics processing unit, 12GB RAM and a non-removable 4500 mAh Li-Po battery.
Storage capacity wasn’t confirmed as at the time this article was published. However, rumors have it that it will come with 256GB of internal storage, which sounds a bit ridiculous, due to the fact that its predecessor had more storage.
You would also wonder why a smartphone that costs so much will settle for as little as 256GB when there isn’t an option for storage expansion via Micro-SD.
On the software side, it runs the One UI 2.5 user interface on top of the Android 10 operating system.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G features Dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 5.1, and NFC. It also features a USB Type-C port for charging and data transfer.
Internet connectivity is capped at 5G on the Fold 2. This means enthusiasts will have the luxury of 5G internet speed, provided they are in an area with 5G reception.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G price starts at around $1980. You can buy it at leading global online stores. In Nigeria price starts at around 830,000 Naira.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G was announced on August 5th, 2020 and is expected to go on sale as from September 1, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G:
- Platform: Android 10, One UI 2.5
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865+ (1×3.09 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 12GB RAM
- Colours: Mystic Bronze, Mystic Black
- Dimension: Unfolded: 159.2 x 128.2 x 6.9 mm –
Folded: 159.2 x 68 x 16.8 mm
- Weight: 279 g
- SIM Type: Nano
- SIM Count:
- Display: 7.6-inch Foldable Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 1768 x 2208 pixels, 372 PPI + Cover display: 6.23″, Super AMOLED, 816 x 2260 Pixels,
- Screen Protection: Gorilla Glass
- Foldable Display: Yes
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Wide) f/1.8 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/2.4 + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, Panorama, [email protected], [email protected]/240fps (gyro-EIS), [email protected] (gyro-EIS), HDR10
- Front Camera: 10MP, f/2.2 – Unfolded + 10MP f/2.2 – Cover. [email protected], [email protected], gyro-EIS, HDR
- Built-in Storage: 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with Stereo Speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Bixby + Google Assistant
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes (25W Capacity)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes (Samsung Pay)
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 25W Fast Charging Capacity