The Google Pixel 5 takes on the role of the Pixel 4‘s successor, with a more affordable package that falls in the upper mid-range category. This package is aimed at pushing the Pixel brand to a spot where it stands the chance of accruing the title of one of best valued smartphone, which sort of similar to what Samsung has going with the Galaxy S20 FE.
Where to Buy Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5 Key Specs & Features
- 6.0-inch, P-OLED Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (432 PPI)
- Android 11
- 8GB RAM
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G (7 nm)
- 128GB built-in Storage
- 12MP + 16MP Dual Rear Camera
- 8MP Front Camera
- 5G Connectivity
- Water and Dust Resistant (IP68 certification)
- 4080mAh non-removable Li-ion battery
The Design and Display
On the basis of design, the Google Pixel 5 can be best described as the Pixel 4a with a bigger chassis and more color variants. in a nut shell, both smartphones are identical. This is evident on both the front and rear panels.
Upfront we have got a 6.0-inch OLED display which houses a hole punch camera. This display has a resolution of 1080 x 2280, a density of 432 PPI and a 90Hz refresh rate, which will help make animations smoother.
On the rear, you will find a square camera module housing dual cameras, an LED flash. You will also find a capacitive fingerprint sensor and the Google mascott, which indicates its a a Google phone.
The Build of the Google Pixel 5 comprises of Gorilla glass 6 upfront, aluminum on the frame and aluminum on the rear. It also bears and IP68 rating for water and dust resistance.
Speaking on color variants, enthusiasts have the option of choosing between two colors, that include Just Black and Sorta Sage.
The Google Pixel 5 doesn’t really stretch the boundaries to offering a top notch camera system. Its pretty much subtle just like its predecessor. However, it makes one key change that may appeal to a lot of Google Pixel enthusiasts.
Google replaced the telephoto camera on the Pixel 4 rear setup with an ultrawide camera here, which is a better implementation for most people.
As such the rear camera setup comprises of a 12.2MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.7 and a 16MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f.2.7. This rear setup is capable of shooting videos up to 4k @ 60fps.
The selfies area manned by an 8MP camera with an aperture of f/2.0. This camera is capable of shooting videos maxed out at 1080p @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
The big news on the Pixel 5’s hardware package, is its adoption of an upper mid-range which is the major factor that facilitates its more affordable price tag, when compared to the Pixel 4 which rocked a high-end flagship hardware
Backing up performance on here is an Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdagon 765 processor with a 7nm process. Other performance facilitators, include an Adreno 620, 8GB RAM, 128GB of internal storage.
The Google Pixle 5 features a non-removable 4080mAh Li-Po battery, which happens to be the biggest that has been featured on any Pixel smartphone, even bigger than what we got on the Google Pixle 4 XL.
On the software side, we have got stock google user interface running on the Stock Android 11 interface, which is pretty much expected from a Google owned smartphone.
The Google Pixel 5 features a NFC, Low energy Bluetooth 5.0 and dual-band Wi-Fi. It also features a USB Type-C port.
Internet connectivity on here is capped at 5G, which means, enthusiasts can utilize 5G connectivity for downloads, streaming and uploads.
Google Pixel 5 Price and Availability
Google Pixel 5 price starts at around $699.99 at leading online stores. The smartphone costs around 455,000 Naira in Nigeria.
The Google Pixel 5 was announced on September 30 2020 and is expected on be available for purchase, as from October 15 2020.
Google Pixel 5 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Google Pixel 5:
- Platform: Android 11
- Processor: Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Just Black, Sorta Sage
- Dimension: 144.7 x 70.4 x 8 mm
- Weight: 151 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.0-inch OLED Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (432 ppi), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, HDR10+, Always-on Display
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Primary) f/1.7, 27mm + 16MP (Ultrawide) f/2.7, 107˚
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, Auto-HDR, panorama, 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 8 MP Camera, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm, Auto-HDR
- Built-in Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1700 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: 2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 28, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 258, 260, 261 Sub6/mmWave – GD1YQ 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 28, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78 Sub6 – GTT9Q
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz + 5 GHz 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2×2 MIMO
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth v5.0 + LE, A2DP (HD codecs: AptX, AptX HD, LDAC)
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB Type-C Gen 3.1
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Rear Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes (Google Assistant)
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4080 mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 18W Capacity