The iPhone 12 Pro comes in as a successor to the iPhone 11 Pro and also a more premium sibling to the iPhone 12. It features similar design parameters and also falls in a performance category similar to that of the iPhone 12. However, it packs in more robust camera hardware, higher storage options, and lots more.
Where to Buy iPhone 12 Pro
iPhone 12 Pro Key Specs and Features
- 6.1 inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, 1170 x 2532 Pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (460 ppi)
- Apple A14 Bionic (5nm)
- iOS 14.1
- 6GB RAM
- 12GB / 128GB / 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP + TOF 3D LiDAR scanner Rear Cameras
- 12MP Front Camera
- 5G / 4G Connectivity
- Fast Wired Charging (20W)
- Qi Wireless Charging (15W)
- IP68 Water / Dust Resistance
Design and Display
The setup mainly comprises of the iPhone 5’s flat edges construction and the iPhone 11 Pro’s aesthetics. So in summary enthusiasts are presented with a very familiar device in terms of outward appearance.
The build materials on here comprise of Gorilla Glass on the rear and front, which is held in place by a stainless steel frame, as opposed to Aluminium on the iPhone 12 and the iPhone 12 Mini.
Much like what we have become accustomed to seeing on high-end iPhones, the iPhone 12 pro rocks an iP68 certification for dust and water and resistance.
According to data harvested, this iPhone can be submerged in up to 6m of water for 30 minutes, without being damaged. which is pretty much enough time to recover the iPhone in event of an accident.
To solidify the display, Apple employed the use of a Ceramic Shield setup, which is basically a layer of ceramic crystals inside the glass layer of the display.
Speaking on the display, we have got a 6.1-inch display with properties matching that of the iPhone 12. This display is based on a Super Retina XDR OLED Panel. It has a resolution of 1170 x 2532 and a density of 460 PPI.
However, Apple didn’t make mention of a 120Hz refresh rate, which is sort of a bummer, considering the fact that many high-end smartphones in this category have been feted for having this feature. Honorable mentions to the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G.
Apple has introduced MagSafe to the iPhone Pro series, this means enthusiats can snap wireless chargers to the back of their iPhones with ease, with help of a circular magnet system.
Aside from charging, these circular magnet engraved in the Magsafe system, will also allow the attachment of different accessories.
The cameras on the iPhone 12 Pro, are unarguably one of the major reasons you may want to consider making a jump from the iPhone 12. It packs in a more robust setup that steps up mobile phone photography.
For starters, we have got a quad setup on the rear, that comprises of a 12MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.6, a 12MP telephoto camera with up to 10x digital zoom, and an f/2.0 aperture. Please note that the iPhone 12 Pro max goes up to 12x digital zoom.
The rear camera setup also comprises of a 12MP ultrawide camera hinged at 120˚, with an aperture of f/2.4. Lastly, we also have a LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) sensor, which Apple debuted on the iPad Pro 2020.
This LiDAR sensor will help improve augmented reality and also autofocus in the dark.
Video record on the rear camera system is capped at 4k @ 60fps, which is sort of a let down considering the fact of the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ultra which already brandished 8k video recording.
However, Apple introduced a New Pro RAW feature and also 10 Bit Dolby vision HDR 4k 60fps video recording, which are both features designed to take video recording on iPhones to the next level.
Upfront on the front camera division, we have a 12MP camera with an aperture of f/2.2 and also a 3D depth sensor.
Hardware performance, the specs sheet of the iPhone 12 Pro doesn’t vary too much from what we got on the iPhone 12. Here performance is championed by Apple’s A14 Bionic chip, which is the world’s first 5nm processor.
Also for performance, we have 6GB of RAM, storage options that include 128GB / 256GB, and 512GB. We also have Apple’s 4 core graphics.
Apple Didn’t Include a Charging Brick In The Box
Ideally, Pro smartphones are supposed to come with a sufficient supply of accessories, however, Apple extended its “No Charging Brick Status” to its more premium line up of iPhone, which in my opinion is considered a big let down.
Apple claims the absence of a charger in the box will help reduce the package size, which will reduce the number of vehicles logistics vehicles on the road, which will in turn reduce carbonic emissions. It’s pretty sad but this is the reality.
However, the iPhone 12 Pro comes with a lightning cable in the box and buyers can thereafter purchase a charging brick or basically purchase the new MagSafe charger, which in my opinion is a strong reason Apple didn’t include charging bricks.
On the software, the iPhone 12 Pro rocks the iOS 14.1, Which comes packed with all the latest goodies including the newly introduced widgets.
The iPhone 12 Pro features a Lightning port, NFC, Bluetooth 5.0, and Dual-Band WiFi.
Internet connectivity on the iPhone 12 Pro is capped at 5GT, which means users will be able to utilize 5G for streaming, downloads, and uploads.
iPhone 12 Pro Price and Availability
iPhone 12 Pro price starts at around $849 for the 128GB Variant. The iPhone 12 Pro costs around 590,000 in Nigeria, 163,000 KSh in Kenya, 20,750 EGP in Egypt, and 7770 GHC in Ghana. You can buy the smartphone at leading online stores in the country.
The 256GB iPhone 12 Pro sells for $1,099, while the 512GB variant sells for $1,299.
iPhone 12 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the iPhone 12 Pro:
- Platform: iOS 14.1, upgradable to iOS 14.7
- Processor: Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm), Hexa-core: 3.1GHz dual-core Firestorm + 1.8GHz quad-core IceStorm
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Colours: Silver, Graphite, Gold, Pacific Blue
- Dimension: 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4 mm
- Weight: 189 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM / E-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, HDR10, 800 Nits, (typ), 1200 Nits (Peak), 19.5:9 ratio (460 PPI Density)
- Screen Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, Oleophobic Coating, Ceramic Shield
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Wide) f/1.6 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/2.0, Digital zoom up to 10x + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.4, 120° + TOF 3D LiDAR scanner (Depth)
- Rear Camera Features: Portrait Lighting with six effects, Optical image stabilization (Wide), Five‑element lens (Ultra Wide); seven‑element lens (Wide), Brighter True Tone flash with Slow Sync, Panorama (up to 63MP), Sapphire crystal lens cover, 100% Focus Pixels (Wide), Night mode (Ultra Wide, Wide), Deep Fusion (Ultra Wide, Wide), Smart HDR 3 with Scene Detection, Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos, Lens correction (Ultra Wide), Advanced red‑eye correction, Auto image stabilization, Burst mode, Photo geotagging, Image formats captured: HEIF and JPEG,HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 30fps), stereo sound rec,
- Front Camera: 12MP Camera, f/2.2, 23mm (wide), SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor), HDR, [email protected]/30/60fps, [email protected]/60/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes (iCloud)
- 2G GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800, 1900 MHz
- 3G WCDMA: 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2341; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66 – A2407, A2408; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2406
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79, 260, 261 Sub6/mmWave – A2341; 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 77, 78, 79 Sub6 – A2407, A2408; 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79 Sub6 – A2406
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Lightning Connector, USB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with Stereo Speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, and BeiDou, iBeacon Micro location.
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes (Face ID)
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes (Siri)
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes (15W Qi Fast Wireless Charging)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Apple Pay
- Water Resistant: Yes (1P68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 2815 mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 20W Fast Charging Capacity (USB Power Delivery 2.0), 15W Fast Wireless Charging Capacity