Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 Key Specs and Features
- 7.6 inches Foldable Dynamic AMOLED Display, 1812 x 2176 pixels (~373 ppi density), ~91.1% screen-to-body ratio
- 6.2-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X Cover Display, 904 x 2316 pixels
- Android 13, One UI 5.1.1
- Qualcomm SM8550-AC Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 (4 nm) Octa Core Processor
- 12GB RAM
- 50 MP (wide) + 10 MP (telephoto) + 12 MP (ultrawide) Triple Rear Camera
- 4 MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (side mounted)
- 256GB, 512GB, 1TB Built-in Storage
- 4G LTE Support
- 5G Support
- 25W Fast Charging Capacity
- 4400 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 is a refinement of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 from 2021, with significant improvements over the barely-changed Z Fold 4 from 2022. The design is slimmer and lighter than the Z Fold 4, making it more comfortable to carry around. One of the major design changes is the ability to shut the Z Fold 5 completely flat.
Thanks to the new Flex hinge, the Z Fold 5 feels incredibly solid, staying open at any angle and adding to the premium feel. The improved hinge also eliminates the gap issue that previous Samsung foldables had when folded, making the phone look more polished and complete.
The phone is impressively thin at 13.4mm when shut and has a premium feel with its 253g weight and bar of gold bullion-like shape. It has a tall-and-thin design with a skinny outer display, the Z Fold 5 is comfortable to use and type on one-handed, even for users with small hands. Additionally, the right-side-mounted fingerprint sensor allows easy unlocking when closed with one hand, making it more convenient to use than some other flagship phones like the Samsung Galaxy S23 or iPhone 14.
One notable omission in the design is the S Pen, although the phone supports it, and there is a separate S Pen case available. The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 is also rated IPX8 water-resistant but lacks particle resistance, so it’s not ideal for use at the beach.
Similarly, the camera bump has been slightly improved, and the LED flash has been repositioned outside the bump. The 5G phone comes in three colors, including the new ‘Ice Blue’ option, and two exclusive colors available on Samsung’s website.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 comes with a a 7.6-inch QXGA+ AMOLED panel main display with a 120Hz refresh rate. It is now up to 30% brighter, reaching a peak brightness of 1,750 nits, which should help with outdoor visibility. The main display has a 2176 x 1812 resolution and uses LTPO technology for dynamic refresh rates between 1Hz and 120Hz.
Furthermore, there is a 6.2-inch AMOLED cover display with a tall aspect ratio of 23.1:9. The cover display may feel cramped for some users, and it has a refresh rate of 48-120Hz with HD+ (2316 x 904) resolution. While the cover display is sharp and supports a smooth 120Hz refresh rate, it is narrower compared to the Google Pixel Fold’s wider cover display.
Both displays on the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 are punchy and vibrant, and the main display is more enjoyable for full-screen apps or split-screen multitasking due to its aspect ratio. However, when watching videos, there is still a noticeable crease in the middle of the display, though it becomes less apparent when the screen is illuminated.
Overall, the Galaxy Z Fold 5’s displays offer excellent viewing experiences, especially with the improvements in brightness and refresh rates on the main folding display. The cover display’s narrow aspect ratio may not be preferred by all users, but the main display’s performance is commendable.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 features a camera setup that remains unchanged from its predecessor, the Z Fold 4. The rear camera system includes a 50MP primary camera with an f/1.8 aperture and OIS, a 12MP ultra-wide camera, and a 10MP telephoto lens with 3x optical zoom and OIS. There is also an 4MP shooter under-display selfie camera on the inner display, while the front-facing camera on the cover display is a 10MP sensor.
The main camera offers a wide f/1.8 aperture and Dual Pixel autofocus, which results in aesthetically pleasing photos with proper exposure and some software-assisted bokeh. The night mode helps in low-light conditions, although some images may look slightly artificial due to digital sharpening.
Additionally, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5’s 12MP ultra-wide camera captures sweeping landscapes without distortion and properly exposed skies. In low light, the ultra-wide camera, like most phones, suffers from softer images.
The 10MP telephoto lens with 3x optical zoom is strong in the foldable space, and its performance is on par with the Google Pixel Fold’s periscope zoom, which is impressive considering the Pixel Fold’s technology advantage.
Lastly, for the the inner screen cameras, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 has a 4MP under-display camera that may not offer the best image quality, resulting in grainy photos. However, the 10MP front-facing camera on the cover display produces better selfies.
The Galaxy Z Fold 5 can record 4K videos on both the main and cover camera. Slow Motion recording is also supported on the main offering 960fps at 720p HD video recording.
Hardware and Software
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 comes with powerful hardware, starting with the custom version of the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor, specifically tailored for Samsung’s Galaxy lineup. This is the same chipset in the Galaxy Z Flip 5.
It offers a higher CPU clock including a 3.36 GHz Cortex-X3 and an additional Adreno 740 GPU core compared to the regular Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 found in most other flagship devices. This configuration provides an edge over most of the competition, making the Z Fold 5 a strong performer for both foldable and traditional smartphones.
The phone is paired with 12GB of LPDDR5X RAM, ensuring smooth multitasking and responsive performance. Storage options range from 256GB to 512GB, with a top-tier 1TB model available exclusively from Samsung’s website.
Furthermore, the Z Fold 5 features a 4,400mAh battery, which is the same as its predecessor, the Z Fold 4. However, thanks to the more efficient Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor, the device should offer improved battery life compared to its predecessor. The phone supports 25W wired charging and 15W wireless charging, which may not be the fastest in the market but should still be sufficient for most users.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 runs on Android 13 with Samsung’s OneUI 5.1.1 applied. It comes with minor improvements to the overall user experience. One notable feature is the ability to use Bixby to reply to incoming calls via text, offering some convenience.
The android phone provides a polished foldable experience, with features like an iPad-esque toolbar on the inner display for quick access to favorite and recently used apps. The drag-and-drop functionality also makes it easy to run two apps side-by-side.
Overall, the Galaxy Z Fold 5 is a solid choice for users seeking a high-performance foldable phone with a seamless user experience, especially for those who value productivity and multitasking on the go
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 features 5G network, which means enthusiasts will have the luxury of 5G internet speed, provided they are in an area with 5G reception. It also has Dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 5.3, and NFC. It also features a USB Type-C port for charging and data transfer.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 price starts at around $1,669 / € 1,899.00 / £ 1,749.00 / ₹ 164,999 at leading online stores. The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 price in Nigeria starts at around 1,466,000 Naira, 216,895 KES in Kenya, 11,621 GHC in Ghana.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5:
- Platform: Android 13, One UI 5.1.1
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8550-AC Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 (4 nm) Octa Core Processor (3.36 GHz Cortex-X3 and 2.8 GHz dual-core Cortex-A715 and 2.8 GHz dual-core Cortex-A710 and 2.0 GHz tri-core Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Adreno 740
- Memory: 12GB RAM
- Colours: Icy Blue, Phantom Black, Cream, Gray, Blue
- Dimension: Unfolded: 154.9 x 129.9 x 6.1 mm, Folded: 154.9 x 67.1 x 13.4 mm
- Weight: 253 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 7.6 inches Foldable Dynamic AMOLED Display, 1812 x 2176 pixels (~373 ppi density), 120Hz Refresh Rate, HDR10+, ~91.1% screen-to-body ratio; 6.2-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X Cover Display, 904 x 2316 pixels
- Screen Protection: Yes (Plastic and Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2)
- Foldable Display: Yes
- Rear Camera: 50 MP (wide), f/1.8, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS + 10 MP (telephoto), f/2.4, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom + 12 MP (ultrawide), f/2.2, 123˚ FoV Triple Camera
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, HDR, Panorama, 8K@30fps, 4K@60fps, 1080p@60/240fps (gyro-EIS), 720p@960fps (gyro-EIS), HDR10+
- Front Camera: 4 MP (wide) f/1.8 Under Display Camera: 10MP (wide) f/2.2, HDR, 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 256GB, 512GB, 1TB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 2G CDMA 1X: CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, Wi-Fi 6, tri-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.3, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type-C 3.2, OTG
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (side mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes, Bixby natural language commands and dictation
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes, 15W Fast Wireless Charging Capacity, 4.5W Reverse Wireless Charging
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes, Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Water Resistant: Yes, IPX8 water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 min in fresh water)
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 4400 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 25W Fast Charging Capacity, 15W Fast Wireless Charging