ATM machines are well known in Nigeria as machines used to conveniently withdraw cash from bank accounts and check bank account balance. However, it is important to note that ATM machines offer more electronic transaction possibilities. These include fund/cash transfer, mobile phone airtime credit recharge, and bills payment. Here we will focus on using an ATM machine to load recharge voucher pin to your mobile phone.
Where to Buy Mobile Phones
Jumia.com.ng from ₦7,500.00 Buy Now
To load recharge PIN using an ATM machine you need to have a bank account with sufficient funds to pay for the denomination of recharge airtime you want to load. Of course, you need to have a valid ATM card tied to the bank account. Note that Top up may not be available for all networks.
Buying mobile phone recharge airtime from an ATM machine is similar to other ATM transactions. Here are the normal steps to expect in most ATM machines:
- Insert your ATM debit card into the slot provided on ATM machine
- Enter your PIN
- Select Recharge option from ATM menu
- Select required network, MTN, Glo mobile, Zain, Starcomms
- Choose the value of airtime required
- Enter your phone number when requested by ATM machine
- ATM will reveal transaction details for your confirmation
- Make sure transaction details are accurate especially phone number & recharge PIN value, confirm transaction
- ATM prints out transaction receipt, you will also receive an SMS confirming transaction
- Your phone is topped up electronically within minutes
Note that you will not have to recharge your mobile phone physically. Your Top up is loaded electronically to your mobile phone, so there is actually no pin to load. The ATM paper print out does not actually contain any PIN. Once transaction is confirmed your top up will be loaded to your phone electronically within minutes under normal circumstances.
Buying mobile phone top up with ATM card is free of transaction costs, only the value of the recharge credit will be deducted from your account. Therefore, transaction costs that you incur when withdrawing cash at ATM is absent when topping up at ATM.
Note that this service may not be available in all ATM machines. An ATM machine that support electronic top up will have an option for recharging phones. Once you enter your PIN, look for a recharge option on the ATM menu, if it is available then you can recharge phones with such ATM machine. Select this option to check whether your network is supported.
Transaction can be aborted at any stage. However, once transaction is confirmed, it becomes irreversible. It also important to double check top up value and phone number, in order to avoid any unpleasant surprise.
Buying your recharge top up from an ATM, come with a number of benefits, the first being that there are no extra charges. Another advantage of ATM airtime recharge is that you can buy at anytime 24/7.
All you need is an accessible ATM machine. With ATM topup, you can buy recharge airtime from anywhere in Nigeria your location is immaterial. All you need is an accessible ATM machine, money in your bank, and a valid ATM debit card.
- ATM Card Security
- Microsoft Lumia 950
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
- Nokia G300
- Nokia T20
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- Nokia G20
- Locate InterSwitch ATM, Shops, & e-commerce sites in Nigeria
- Electronic payment: PIN security basics for ATM
- Valucard payment solution with VPay ATM, Visa & VbV
- InterSwitch Verve Pin/Chip ATM Debit Credit cards