The iPhone 6 is one of the two flagship smartphones released by Apple in 2014. It is the smaller of the two, though still bigger than its predecessor, the iPhone 5S. iPhone 6 offers the usual high quality build with a newer faster processor, iOS 8 as the operating system, improved camera optics as well as NFC with Apple that is set to revolutionise mobile payment. The iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Mini, and iPhone 12 Pro Max are latest members of the iPhone lineup.
iPhone 6 Key Specs & Features
- 4.7-inch IPS Touch Display, 750 x 1334 pixels (326 ppi)
- Apple A8 Chipset
- 1GB RAM
- iOS 8, upgradeable to iOS 12
- 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB Built-in Storage
- 8MP Rear Camera
- 1.2MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE (up to 150 Mbps download)
- Fingerprint Sensor (Front)
- 1810 mAh Li-Po Non-Removable Battery
iPhone 6: What’s New?
The iPhone 6 is slightly slimmer at 6.9 mm thickness, which is still slimmer compared to the 7.6 mm thickness of the iPhone 5S.
iPhone 6 comes with the usual round edged design with the home button housing the TouchID fingerprint sensor and an anodized aluminum back. However, the sides are now curved rather than flat.
The standard Apple logo is created from stainless steel inlay. iPhone 6 is available in three different colors: silver, gold and space grey. Apple also moved the power button from the top to the side.
The smartphone comes with a new processor, the Apple A8 chip. The A8 is a 64-bit chip like the A7, but promises 50% faster graphics and 25% faster processor, which should make iPhone 6 run more smoothly on iOS 8.
The more recent iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus offers A10 Fusion chip, which Apple claims is twice as fast as the A8 chip.
Display & Camera
iPhone 6 comes with a bigger display, stepping up from the 4.0-inch screen. It features a 4.7-inch display IPS display, but retains the 326 pixel-per-inch Retina resolution with 750 x 1334 pixels.
iPhone 6 comes with the same 8 megapixels rear camera, but with obvious improvements for better and faster photos. The camera features a dual-LED flash and HDR with 1080p HD video recording. iPhone 6 features a 1.2 megapixels camera with 720p HD recording.
Apple now offers a 4-inch iPhone SE if you prefer a more compact design.
Apple Pay on NFC
Aside the bigger display the other major talking point of the iPhone 6 is its support of NFC and the incorporation of the Apple Pay mobile payment service, which will enable you make payments at local stores and services with just a tap.
Apple Pay is limited to the United States for now with over 220,000 merchants already on board.
You can store Visa, MasterCard, and AMEX cards on your iPhone 6 and easily make payments with a simple tap at local stores without sharing details.
iPhone 6 does not support wireless charging.
iPhone 6 Price & Availability
iPhone 6 Price in Nigeria starts at around 52,000 Naira depending on your location, the build condition, and built-in storage. The iPhone 6 costs around Price starts at $99.99 at leading online stores.
The iPhone 6 launched initially in eight countries (United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Puerto Rico, Japan, and Singapore) on September 19, 2014 though preorders opened September 12.
iPhone 6 is available in 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB models with launch price starting at $649.
iPhone 6 Battery Replacement
A battery replacement will give your smartphone a new lease of life. Buying a new battery and finding a certified technician to install the battery will give your iPhone more life. Here are some iPhone 6 battery replacement:
iPhone 6 Cases
Here are cases for your smartphone:
iPhone 6 Screen Replacement
A cracked screen does not look great. If you are looking for screen replacement for your smartphone, here are some options:
Apple iPhone 6 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Apple iPhone 6:
- Platform: iOS 8, upgradeable to iOS 12
- Processor: 1.4GHz dual-core 64-bit Processor (Apple A8)
- GPU: Hexa-core graphics Processor
- Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Colours: Gold, Silver, Space Grey
- Dimension: 138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm
- Weight: 129 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM
- Display: 4.7-inch IPS Display, 750 x 1334 pixels (326ppi)
- Screen Protection: Yes (Shatter proof Glass)
- Rear Camera: 8 MP Camera, Dual-LED Flash, 1080p HD Video
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus, Geo-tagging, HDR, Face Detection, Panorama, Slo-mo video
- Front Camera: 1.2 MP Camera, BSI, 720p HD FaceTime Video
- Built-in Storage: 16 GB, 64 GB, or 128 GB Storage
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes, iCloud
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100MHz (CDMA version)
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes (CDMA version)
- 4G LTE: 700 / 800 / 1700 / 1800 / 2600MHz (not in all models)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes, up to 21Mbps
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: Yes, up to 3.1 Mbps (CDMA version)
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 150Mbps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, microUSB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: IMAP4, POP3, SMTP
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- Pedometer: Yes
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (TouchID)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes (Siri)
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Fingerprint Resistant Coating: Yes (oleophobic coating)
- Mobile Payment: Yes, Apple Pay with NFC (Visa, MasterCard, etc)
- M8 Motion coprocessor: Measures your steps, distance, elevation as well share tasks with the main processor
- Wireless Charging: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 1,810 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Standby time: up to 250 Hours
- Talktime: up to 14 hours
- Music Playback: up to 50 hours