DSTV Now is a service from Multichoice that enables you watch your favourite shows online via a browser on your desktop or laptop or with a mobile app on your smartphone or tablet. It a successor of DSTV Mobile, which used the DVB-H technology to broadcast select TV shows to compatible mobile phones. DSTV Now enables you stream live shows, watch and rewatch your favourite movies, and even catch-up on episodes you may have missed.
Unlike DSTV Mobile that required the DVB-H technology, which meant only a few devices could support it, DSTV Now just requires internet access and a browser. This means that any device that supports fast 3G internet can support the service. In addition unlike DSTV Mobile, the DSTV Now service does not require any additional subscription. Once you are subscribed to a qualified subscription plan you can start enjoying the service without any additional payment.
What you need to Access DSTV Now
- A valid Subscription to DSTV Premium, DSTV Compact Plus, or DSTV Compact
- An Internet enabled PC, Mac, Android Phone, iPhone, iPad, or any Smartphone or Tablet
- A supported Browser or DSTV Now App for Android or iOS. To download DSTV Now for Android Click Here and to Download DSTV Now for iOS Click Here
- A DSTV Connect ID (easy to register, requires your smart card number)
- An Internet Connection (Broadband connection like Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G LTE, 5G)
- A Data Plan (Preferably an unlimited Data plan)
Browser support for DSTV Now
In case you a are planning streaming TV shows using a browser. Here are browsers currently supporting DSTV Now
- Chrome version 53 or higher
- Firefox version 47 or higher
- Internet Explorer 11 or higher on Windows 8.1 or higher
- Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 or higher
- Safari 9 or higher on Mac OS X 10.11 or higher
- Opera 43 or higher on Windows 10 or higher
With DSTV Now you can watch TV shows and live TV on up to four devices, though only two can be active simultaneously at a time. Now that you know what you need to access the service, let us now show you how.
How to Watch Live TV, Sports, Movies on DSTV Now
- Visit now.dstv.com on your browser or open the DSTV Now App on your Android or iOS devices. You can download the App at the PlayStore or Apple Store
- Login with your DSTV Connect ID. You will be required to create a DSTV Connect ID the first time you login
- Search for the TV show you want to watch. You go to the Live TV section to see programmes airing now on DSTV. Catch Up enables you watch episodes of your favorite shows that you may have missed. You can also visit the TV Guide to see upcoming shows and set reminders on shows you may want to watch
- When you see a TV show you want to watch, click or tap on it to get to the details page where you can either stream or download the show
Features of DSTV Now
Now lets look at some of the value added services on the service.
Watch Live TV
The DSTV Now service enables you stream live TV on your computer or mobile devices. On the live TV section of the app, you will find all the channels that are available live with the current show airing. You will also see an indicator of how far long the program has gone. Clicking on the channel will open the screen where you will then watch the live TV show.
The channels are also tagged to categories, which makes it easy to filter channels by category. Categories available include Sports, General Entertainment, News & Commerce, Music, Documentary, Children, Lifestyle & Culture, and Religion.
With live TV, you nolonger have to worry about programme interruptions during power failure or bad weather as you can continue your viewing on your mobile phone or laptop. You can now watch live TV programs including Big Brother Naija while on the move just like in the days of DSTV Mobile. You can also watch Live football matches and more.
Missed any episode of your favourite show or you just want to rewatch a recently aired TV show? The Catch up section is for you. The Catch up feature of DSTV Now keeps a catalog of popular programmes on DSTV. It is a Video on Demand service that enables you watch episodes of your favourite TV shows that aired for the first time over the last 7 to 28 days.
You can either stream the episode or download it so that you can watch offline later. However, downloads are only available on the Mobile App. When you are using a browser, you are restricted to streaming only. Shows are usually available on Catch up within 24 hours of their first broadcast on DSTV.
Lots of Entertainment for Kids with Kids lock
Aside the children shows on Live TV and Catch up, DSTV Now provides a special kids section with lots of shows for children. The beauty of the kids section is that you can setup a PIN so that once you navigate to the kids section and handover the phone to your children they will not be able to navigate to other features of DSTV Now until they enter the same PIN you setup. With this, your kids are protected from potentially inappropriate content.
Full TV Guide
DSTV Now comes with an 8-day worth of TV programming Guide. On the TV Guide, you can watch a programme live if it is currently airing live. You can also set a reminder if the programme is upcoming. If you have an Explorer decoder, you can also instruct your Explorer decoder to record an upcoming TV show via the App.
The TV Guide also provides information about each TV show like the season, episode, duration, rating, and a brief description. You will also see when the particular episode will air again on the channel.
Cast to TV or Big Screen
DSTV Now supports Screen mirroring technologies like Apple AirPlay and Google Chromecast. With screen mirroring, you can cast the current screen on your mobile App to a bigger screen like your laptop, desktop, or TV.
With Airplay you can mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to your Apple TV or Mac computer, while Google Chromecast is more versatile supporting both Android and iOS devices. Note that Wi-Fi is required and both devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi hotspot.
How to Save Data on DSTV Now
Using DSTV Now involves streaming or downloading of videos. This means huge data is involved. In addition, some channels on DSTV come in HD quality, which means you might need to break a bank if you choose to watch in HD. For example, watching videos in HD can consume up to 2GB for just an hour of viewing, which might just be insane for most budgets in Nigeria and Africa. This is why it is recommended you use DSTV Now only when you are subscribing to a unlimited data plan or a data plan with huge cap.
However, DSTV Now offers a switch in settings that enables you reduce the quality or resolution of the video in order to save data consumption. In fact, you can reduce data consumption by up to 10 folds by switching to the lowest quality. According to DSTV’s own data, you consume approximately 210MB per hour of viewing if you switch to the Low Video Quality setting.
While 210MB per hour is still huge for some budgets, it is a significant savings from HD quality. So, to avoid spending too much on data, it is a good idea to lower the video quality in settings.
To Save Data on DSTV Now with lower video quality
- Go to the DSTV Now Menu
- Tap on Settings
- Tap on Maximum Video Quality
- Set the required video quality. Options: Highest, High, Medium, Low
DSTV Now also has an option for restricting viewing only on Wi-Fi networks. This is on by default. If you want to watch TV shows using your mobile data, you must go into settings and toggle on the Use Mobile Data option.
In addition, there is also an option that timeout live streaming after a certain period. The default is 2 hours, but you can set for as little as 5 minutes or as high as 4 hours. This feature ensures you do not get lost in streaming. It could also be helpful if you sleep off while streaming a TV show. If you choose, you can disable this feature entirely.
To access this option, just go to the Live Streaming Timeout setting and choose the timeout duration you prefer. All these features will help you conserve data.
Which Devices can you use to Watch DSTV Now
You can watch DSTV Now on the following devices including Cheap Android Phones:
- Android Phones running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or higher
- Android Tablets running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or higher
- Windows PCs via a Web Browser
- Android TV devices running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or higher
- Macbook or Mac Computer via a Web browser
- iPads running iOS 9 or higher
- iPhones running iOS 9 or higher
- iPod Touch running iOS 9 or higher
Countries with DSTV Now
You can access DSTV Now in the following countries:
- South Africa
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Equatorial Guinea
- Guinea Bissau
- Ivory Coast
- Sao Tome and Principle
- Sierra Leone
- St Helena Island
Note that these are the same countries where DSTV Pay TV satellite services are available. You will not be able to watch DSTV Now if you travel outside any of these countries.
How to Watch Big Brother Naija (#BBNaija) free Online and on Mobile
- Visit now.dstv.com on your browser or open the DSTV Now App on your Android or iOS devices.
- Login with your DSTV Connect ID
- Click or Tap on Live TV on the DSTV Now Menu
- Scroll down to Big Brother Naija 2: Live Broadcast
- Tap or Click on the BBNaija item to begin streaming the show
That’s a wrap on this comprehensive overview of the DSTV Now service. Hope we got everything covered. If we missed something or you have anything to add, we would love to hear from you.
More on DSTV
- Box Office from DSTV
- Netflix is not yet a threat to DSTV
- DSTV Access
- DSTV Mobile
- GoTV Nigeria
- DSTV Compact Plus
- StarTimes Decoder
- DSTV Explora Decoder