The Infinix Hot 8 is the latest iteration to the Hot Series and successor to the Infinix Hot 7 and Hot 7 Pro. Infinix is back with the latest installment in the Hot series, and we have the Hot 8 to show for that. It offers improved performance with more battery capacity. This model is now replaced by the newer models like the Infinix Hot 10, Hot 10 Play, and Infinix Hot 10T.
Where to Buy Infinix Hot 8
For one, we already know that the Hot series is where Infinix releases the devices that will serve as their low-level midrange units for the season, so we are not expecting too much from it. Even at that, though, how does this compare?
Let’s find out.
Infinix Hot 8 Key Specs and Features
- 6.6-inch IPS infinity-V Display, 720 x 1600 pixels (~269 ppi density), 20:9 aspect ratio
- Android 9.0 (Pie), XOS 5.0
- Octa-core Mediatek MT6761 Helio A22 (12 nm), 2GB/3GB RAM
- Octa-core Mediatek MT6762 Helio P22 (12 nm), 4 GB RAM
- 32GB Storage (with 2GB/3GB RAM), 64GB storage (with 4GB RAM)
- 13MP + 2MP + QVGA Triple Rear Camera
- 8MP Selfie Snapper
- 4G LTE
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear)
- microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
- 5000 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Infinix has grown a lot from the wide notch to the waterdrop-style notch that they have on the current Hot 8. The 6.6-inch IPS screen might sound massive, but it becomes manageable with a 20:9 aspect ratio.
In the same vein, this screen is impressive with almost 82% of space covered relative to the body of the smartphone on the front.
Enough of the front for now.
On the back of the Infinix Hot 8, we have a horizontal triple-camera arrangement that we have seen more times than we care to mention just this year alone.
Infinix keeps the fingerprint scanner on the back, even though they could have moved it under the screen or hidden it on the side of the phone.
Worthy of note, though, is that the back of this phone is made of glass. We would never have expected such premium treatment on a phone of this level.
Coming in colour options of Quetzal Cyan, Cosmic Purple, Shark Grey and Midnight Black, the Infinix Hot 8 does score good points for design.
An 8 megapixels snapper on the front of the Infinix Hot 8 will handle selfie needs. We don’t suppose it would take the best selfies on the market, but it should be fairer than most.
On the back, though, we have some good challengers. The main 13 megapixels sensor is designed for wide image capturing, and that will be paired with a 2MP sensor for better depth capturing.
There is a third sensor (QVGA camera) in there, but that would be for bettering captures in low light.
Interestingly, the selfie camera comes with a LED flash of its own, so it will do well in some low light situations too. To better the prospects of the rear camera, we have a quad-LED camera setup in there.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
Infinix decided to test two different chipsets for different configurations of the Hot 8. The 2GB/3GB RAM + 32GB ROM storage option of this affordable Android phone comes with a MediaTek MT6761 Helio A22 chipset while the 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM option will use the MT6762 chipset instead.
Both of these chipsets are manufactured with the 12nm process, so they won’t differ much in their efficiency and operational capacity either. However, the first one is a quad-core chipset while the latter is an octa-core SoC instead.
The means the second model of the Infinix Hot 8 with octa-core and 4GB RAM is built for consumers looking for more performance for gaming and multitasking.
No matter which unit you pick, you get Android 9 Pie operating system with the in-house XOS 5.0 running on top, paired with the PowerVR GE8320 GPU in the chipset.
Connectivity and Battery
Fortunately, Infinix didn’t think to remove the 3.5mm jack from their own unit – and they even worked in Dirac Surround Sound for the speakers. It sports 4G LTE and a microUSB port.
Carrying a non-removable 5000mAh battery to match, users will get all the power they need with this device. But then, there is no promise of a fast charge technology in sight.
Infinix Hot 8 Price and Availability
Infinix Hot 8 price in Nigeria starts at 73,990 Naira for the model with 4GB RAM. In Kenya, price starts at around 11,999 KSh.
The phone is available in India starting at 8,980 INR. Infinix Hot 8 went on sale 12th of September at a retail price of about $97. Price in Kenya starts at KSh 10,545 and in Ghana it costs GH₵ 585.
Depending on the internal configurations of your choice unit, preferred colour and such other specifics, prices may differ from place to place
Infinix Hot 8 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Infinix Hot 8:
- Platform: Android 9.0 (Pie), XOS 5.0
- Processor: 2.0GHz quad-core Mediatek MT6761 Helio A22 (12 nm) – 32/2 GB; 1.8GHz octa-core Mediatek MT6762 Helio P22 (12 nm) – 64/4 GB
- GPU: PowerVR GE8320
- Memory: 2GB/3GB RAM (with 32GB), 4GB RAM (with 64GB)
- Colours: Quetzal Cyan, Cosmic Purple, Shark Grey, Midnight Black
- Dimension: 165 x 76.3 x 8.7 mm
- Weight: 179 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.6-inch IPS Display, 720 x 1600 pixels, 20:9 aspect ratio (~269 ppi density)
- Screen Protection: Glass Cover (also on the back)
- Foldable Display: – No
- Rear Camera: 13MP (wide) + 2MP (depth) + QVGA (low light) Triple Camera, [email protected] Video
- Rear Camera Features: Quad-LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Front Camera: 8 MP Camera, LED Flash,
- Built-in Storage: 32GB / 64GB
- Memory Card Support: microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: No
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes (up to 150 Mbps downloads)
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: – Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: microUSB 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: No
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: No
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: No
- Video Editor: No
- Document Viewer: No
- Document Editor: No
- Battery: 5000 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 2A Fast Recharge