The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro continues the trend of Redmi Smartphones being one of the best-valued in the mid-range category. When compared to the Redmi Note 8 Pro, you have got an improved design, display, processor, and lots more. In summary, it offers a lot of substantial upgrades that are worth considering.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Key Specs and Features
- 6.67-inches IPS LCD Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels, (395 ppi)
- Android 10.0; MIUI 11
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G Processor
- 4GB RAM or 6GB RAM
- 64GB / 128GB Built-in Storage, with Micro-SD Support
- 48MP + 8MP + 5MP + 2MP Quad Rear Camera
- 16MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side-Mounted)
- 5020mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Despite being under a mandate to offer enthusiasts a smartphone that meets the budget of many, Xiaomi has shown no signs of relenting in making substantial design tweaks.
Redmi Note smartphone releases have featured disparities with their predecessors. Compare the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro with its predecessor and you discover a new design/setup that is appreciable.
However, the build materials have pretty remained the same. You have got gorilla glass 5 on the rear, Gorilla glass 5 upfront and a plastic frame, which is pretty much one of the best builds any mid-range smartphone.
The gradient design we saw on the Redmi Note 8 pro is absent here, all we have now is a plain glossy design and curve edges.
Its rear panel holds a squared camera enclosure houses quad cameras and a camera flash. You have also got the Redmi moniker branding, which indicates is a smartphone from Xiaomi.
Upfront, you have got a setup which I termed as the best on any smartphone from the Redmi Note series. You have got a 6.67-inch display housing a tiny single punch hole camera. This setup is similar to what we have on the Samsung Galaxy A51 and the Samsung Galaxy A71
My only complaint is the fact that an IPS display was retained. In my own opinion, having an AMOLED display would have really spiced things up.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro comes in color variants which include Aurora Blue, Glacier White, and Interstellar Black.
Without a doubt, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro features very substantial camera hardware for a mid-range smartphone. However, there seems to be a let-down in the camera spec sheet.
Instead of featuring a 64MP primary camera sensor or higher like the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 did, you have got a 48MP rear primary camera. Other cameras on its quad rear camera setup include an 8MP ultrawide camera, a 5MP macro camera, and a 2MP depth camera.
For selfies, you have got a 16MP wide camera for selfies. This camera is capable of taking photos in HDR, Panorama and also capable of shooting 1080p videos.
Hardware and Software
Aside from featuring an improved design, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro also improves performance, it offers enthusiasts a more powerful mid-range smartphone hardware.
This year Xiaomi ditched Mediatek processor and opted for an Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G processor instead.
Aside from the processor, you have also got the option of choosing either 4GB or 6GB of RAM and also 64GB or 128GB of internal storage.
Giving juice to the hardware components of this smartphone is a Non-Removable 5020mAh Li-Po battery. A meer 18W fast charge is supported here. I said meer because its gonna take an 18W fast charge time ample time to get the 5020mAh battery full.
On the software side, you have got MIUI 11 running on the Android 10.0 Operating system.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro features a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C port, dual-band Wifi Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.
Internet connectivity on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro is capped at 4G LTE, this means you don’t have the luxury of 5G internet speed. Download and uploads are limited to 4G speed.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Price and Availability
The price of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro is around $177 which is around 64,970 Naira, 18,420 Kenyan shillings, and 989 Ghana Cedi.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro was announced on March 12, 2020, and is currently available for purchase.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro:
- Platform: Android 10.0; MIUI 11
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 618
- Memory: 4GB RAM or 6GB RAM
- Colours: Aurora Blue, Glacier White, Interstellar Black
- Dimension: 165.8 x 76.7 x 8.8 mm
- Weight: 209 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.67 inch IPS LCD Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 2400, (395 ppi).
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (Wide) f/1.8 + 8MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2 + 5MP (Macro) + 2MP (Depth) f/2.4 Quad Cameras
- Rear Camera Features: PDAF, LED Flash, HDR, Panorama, [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]
- Front Camera: 16 MP Camera, HDR, Panorama, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 Reversible Connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, NavIC
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (Side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: No
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 5020 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 18W