iPhone 12 comes in as Apple’s provision for a smartphone that succeeds last year’s iPhone 11. It comes in a chassis with traces of elements picked up from other Apple devices. Packed in that chassis, is an improved hardware that promises improved performance over last year’s model.
Where to Buy iPhone 12
What’s more, Apple eliminated the charging brick in the box. Meaning the iPhone 12 comes without a charger. More on that later in the article.
iPhone 12 Key Specs and Features
- 6.1 inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, 1170 x 2532 Pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (460 PPI)
- Apple A14 Bionic (5nm)
- iOS 14.1
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB / 128GB / 256GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP + 12MP Dual Rear Cameras
- 12MP Front Camera
- Fast Wired Charging (20W)
- Qi Wireless Charging (15W)
Design and Display
The best way to describe the iPhone 12 design, would be as a blend of the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 11, which sort of combines the past and the present, offering enthusiasts what is assumed to be a better mix.
On aesthetics, there are traces of the iPhone 11 elements on the rear and front panel. What’s more, Apple didn’t reduce the notch, which is sort of a deviation from what the leaks foretold and also a bummer for enthusiast like me who desire the demise of the notch.
Speaking on the front panel, apple kept the display at 6.1-inches, as seen on the iPhone 11. However, the display tech got upgraded, seeing a leap from an LCD panel to a Super retina XDR OLED panel.
The display has a resolution is set at 1170 x 2532. It also bears a density of 460 PPI. However, apple skipped featuring a 120Hz refresh rate, which was a feature most users expected to see on the iPhone, considering how popular the feature has become amongst high-end flagship smartphones.
Paired with this display for protection, is a Ceramic Shield, which Apple claims will offer four times the drop protection we have had on other iPhones from the past. This ceramic shield comprises ceramic glass crystals, which were placed inside the glass layer, to make the screen more durable.
Magsafe on an iPhone
Amongst the features released with the iPhone 12, is Magsafe, a feature that was first seen on Apple Macbooks.
Magsafe is pretty much a circular magnet on the rear, which will help align wireless chargers faster, in more of a snap mechanism. Aside fro chargers, Magsafe will also allow attachment of other accessories like cases, third-party wallets and lots more.
The iPhone 12 retains the same cameras from the iPhone 11, but with a smaller aperture, which is evident in the primary rear camera.
The rear camera department packs dual cameras, with the primary camera being a 12MP wide camera with an aperture of f/1.6, in lieu of the f/1.8 aperture on the iPhone 11.
This reduction in aperture will help in low light photography and portrait photography. Speaking on low light photography, the iPhone 12 supports portrait photography in low light conditions.
The other camera on the rear is a 12MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.4 and a 120˚ field of view. Video recording is maxed at 4k 60fps, which enthusiasts may consider a slight let down, considering the fact that the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S20 plus feature 8k video record.
The front camera department maintains the same 12MP front as the iPhone 11, however, it adds night mode photography, which would help in taking photos in the low light conditions.
On performance hardware, the iPhone 12 is pushing the boundaries with the world’s first 5nm processor on a Mobile phone and its the Apple A14 bionic chip which we saw earlier on the Apple iPad Air 2020. It share the same processor with other models in the series like the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
The other performance facilitators include Apple’s quad-core GPU, 4GB RAM, it also offers triple storage options, which include 64GB, 128GB and 256GB of internal storage.
An iPhone Without a Charger in the Box
As foretold by rumors, the iPhone 12 as well as its other siblings in the series, will be shipping without a charger. Apple claims not featuring a charger in the box will reduce the package size, which will reduce number of vehicles needed for shipping, which will also help carbonic emission.
Apple may claim this move is geared towards reducing ecological harm, but it can also be seen as a move to through more light on its mag safe chargers, which will help increase sales.
However Apple hasn’t removed the charging port yet and this means Apple fan boys and girls can purchase charging bricks separately.
Speaking on charging, the iPhone 12 offers a 20W fast wired charging, which promises 50% charge in 30 mins and als0 15W wireless charging.
On the software the iPhone 12 rocks the iOS 14.1. It comes packed with all the latest goodies including the newly introduced widgets.
The release of the likes of the iPad Pro 12.9 2020 with USB Type-C ports may have given hints of getting a USB Type-C port on 2020 iPhones, but it certainly didn’t hold through with the iPhone 12 and its siblings.
Apple retained the lightning port. The cord that comes in the box bears a lighting connector on one side and a USB-C connector on the other side.
Other connectivity features on the iPhone 12 include NFC, Bluetooth, dual band WiFi.
First 5G iPhone
The iPhone 12 comes in as the first iPhone with 5G connectivity, which was pretty much expected, considering the innovation wrapped around 5G internet connectivity.
The fact that 5G coverage is a bit limited at the moment is pretty much undeniable. However with 5G connectivity, Apple is promising users smooth high definition video streaming, faster downloads and lots more.
In order to reduce the battery consumption as a result of 5G connectivity, Apple introduced what they termed “Smart Dara Mode” a feature that lets the iPhone 12 automatically switch to 5G when needed.
iPhone 12 Price and Availability
iPhone 12 starts at around $799. Price starts at around 428,000 Naira in Nigeria, 15,900 EGP in Egypt, 5,900 GHC in Ghana, and 125,500 KSh in Kenya. You can buy the smartphone at leading online stores.
The price of the 128GB iPhone 12 sells for $849, while the 256GB variant sells for $949.
iPhone 12 Specs
Here are a few specs of the iPhone 12:
- Platform: iOS 14.1
- Processor: Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm), Hexa-core (3.1 GHz dual-core Firestorm + 1.8 GHz quad-core Icestorm)
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Black, White, Red, Green, Blue
- Dimension: 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4 mm
- Weight: 164 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM / E-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR OLED, 1170 x 2532 pixels, HDR10, 625 Nits, (typ), 1200 Nits (Peak), 19.5:9 ratio (460 PPI Density)
- Screen Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, Oleophobic Coating, Ceramic Shield
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Wide) f/1.6, 2x Optical Zoom, Digital zoom up to 5x + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.4, 120° Field of view
- Rear Camera Features: Portrait Lighting with six effects, Optical image stabilization (Wide), Five‑element lens (Ultra Wide); seven‑element lens (Wide), Brighter True Tone flash with Slow Sync, Panorama (up to 63MP), Sapphire crystal lens cover, 100% Focus Pixels (Wide), Night mode (Ultra Wide, Wide), Deep Fusion (Ultra Wide, Wide), Smart HDR 3 with Scene Detection, Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos, Lens correction (Ultra Wide), Advanced red‑eye correction, Auto image stabilization, Burst mode, Photo geotagging, Image formats captured: HEIF and JPEG, [email protected]/30/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/240fps, HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 30fps), stereo sound rec
- Front Camera: 12MP Camera, f/2.2, 23mm (wide), SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor), HDR, [email protected]/30/60fps, [email protected]/60/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes (iCloud)
- 2G GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800, 1900 MHz
- 3G WCDMA: 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2172; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66 – A2403, A2404; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2402
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79, 260, 261 Sub6/mmWave – A2172; 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 77, 78, 79 Sub6 – A2402, A2403, A2404
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Lightning, USB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with Stereo Speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, and BeiDou, iBeacon Micro location.
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes (Face ID)
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes (Siri)
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes (15W Qi Fast Wireless Charging)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Apple Pay
- Water Resistant: Yes (1P68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 2815 mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 20W Fast Charging Capacity (USB Power Delivery 2.0)