The release of the Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming is basically Xiaomi featuring its gaming-oriented smartphones in a series other than the Black shark’s as we have become accustomed to seeing. Comparing the Redmi K40 Gaming to its siblings reveals extras that set it apart. More on that later in the article.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming
Jumia Nigeria – See Offers | Jumia Kenya – See Offers | Jumia Ghana – See Offers
Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming Key Specs & Features
- 6.67 inches Super OLED Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels, ~395 PPI, 120Hz Refresh Rate
- Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Octa-core MediaTek MT6893 Dimensity 1200 5G (6 nm)
- 6GB / 8GB / 12GB RAM
- 256GB Built-in Storage
- 64MP + 8MP + 5MP Triple Rear Cameras
- 16MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint (side-mounted)
- IP53, Dust, and Splash protection
- 5G Network
- Fast Charging (33W Capacity)
- Non-Removable Li-Po 5065 mAh Battery
Design and Display
The Redmi K40 Gaming saw Xiaomi opting for a design more subtle in lieu of what we have seen on smartphones in the Blackshark series. This goes to say you can pretty much present this smartphone on any occasion, without attracting a multitude of questions.
For most gaming smartphones, the rear panels is where you will find the most peculiar features in its design delivery. However, what we have got here is far from being a truckload of surprises.
The regular model features a text that reads ‘fighting’ in the middle, which is bordered by two not entirely straight lines running from the top to the bottom.
In lieu of the ‘fighting’ text, enthusiasts that opt for the bruce lee edition of the Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming phone will have the text ‘bruce lee Kung fu’ in white, in the middle of a black line running from top to bottom.
Xiaomi managed to tuck in LED lights on the top and bottom of the triple camera module. You can count these lights as the only gamer-oriented aesthetics you can find.
These LED lights are more than just aesthetics elements, they also serve as notification indicators.
Switching sides on the Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming to get a front view, reveals a 6.67 inches OLED display with a punch hole camera in the top middle position. The highlights of this display includes a resolution of 1080 x 2400, a density of about 395 PPI and a 120Hz refresh rate.
The build on both the front and back panels includes comprises of Gorilla glass 5 protection. There is also an IP53 rating for dust and water resistance. It isn’t as top notch as the IP68, but its nice to see Xiaomi making efforts.
Enthusiasts that decide to purchase this device, will have three colour options, which include Black, Gray, Silver, and Bruce lee yellow, for the Bruce lee edition.
Turns out the absence of strong gamer aesthetics, doesn’t really equal not having provisions for gaming ergonomics that sets gaming smartphones apart from normal smartphones.
The fact stated in the above paragraph is at least true in the Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming. Here we have retractable magnetic shoulder buttons that function when gaming mode is activated.
As mentioned in previous articles on gaming smartphones, having gaming controls outside the screen provides mobile games with more screen estate.
Also worthy of mention, is the inclusion of stereo speakers that have JBL tuning, as well as Dolby Atmos support. The essence of good speakers for gaming cannot be undermined.
The cameras on the Xiaomi Redmi K40 gaming aren’t anywhere near the best in the gaming smartphone industry, as a matter of fact, we have got a slightly more capable setup on the Xiaomi Redmi K40 Pro.
On the rear, we have got a triple camera setup that comprises a 64MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.7, a 2MP macro camera with an aperture of f/2.4, and an 8MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2 and a 120˚ field of view. Video recording with this setup is capped at 4k @ 30fps.
On the front setup, we have a single 16MP camera, as opposed to 20MP on the K40 Pro. Video record on this setup is capped at 1080p @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
In the performance arsenal, we have the MediaTek MT6893 Dimensity 1200 5G processor, in lieu of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor as seen on the other member of the Redmi K40 series.
Also on board, the Mali-G77 MC9 GPU, a non-removable 50565 mAh battery, which is bigger than the 4520mAh battery on the Xiaomi Redmi K40 Pro plus. This battery is paired with a 67W fast charging mechanism.
Lastly, the RAM and storage variants available on this device includes 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 128GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM and 256GB 12GB RAM.
On the software side, we have the MIUI 12.5 user interface running on the Android 11 operating system.
The Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming features low-energy Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, Wifi-6, an IR Blaster, and a USB Type-C port with OTG support.
Please note that there is no headphone jack on this device and as such, enthusiasts will need either a USB Type-C headphone or a wireless headphone for private audio listening.
Internet connectivity on this device is capped at 5G, which means enthusiasts in areas with 5G reception can download, stream and upload at 5G speeds.
Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming Price and Availability
The Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming price is around $308 for the 8GB / 128GB varaint, which translates to about 117,194 Naira in Nigeria, about 1,786 GHC in Ghana, and 33,369 Ksh in Kenya.
Enthusiasts who desire the top of the line 12GB / 256GB variant, will have to shell out about $416, which translates to about 158,288 Naira in Nigeria, 2,413 GHC in Ghana and 45,069 KSH in Kenya.
Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi K40 Gaming:
- Platform: Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Processor: MediaTek MT6893 Dimensity 1200 5G (6 nm) (1×3.0 GHz Cortex-A78 & 3×2.6 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G77 MC9
- Memory: 6GB / 8GB / 12GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Gray, Silver, Bruce Lee Yellow
- Dimension: 161.9 x 76.9 x 8.3 mm
- Weight: 205 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.67-inches OLED, 1080 x 2400 Pixels, ~395 PPI, 120Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64MP (Primary) f/1.7 + 8MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2, 120˚ + 2MP (Macro) f/2.4
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, Panorama, [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], HDR
- Front Camera: 16MP Camera, HDR, [email protected], [email protected], HDR
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: CDMA 800
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: CDMA2000 1x
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 18, 19, 26, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
- 5G: 1, 3, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Version 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Side-mounted
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP53)
- Dust Resistant: Yes (IP53)
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 5065mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 67W Capacity