If you’re handy with tools and know a thing or two about fixing items around the house, you might consider starting a handyman business.
“Handyman” is a term used to describe home improvement contractors who offer services to fix homes or other structures.
The tips below (presented to you by NaijaTechGuide) can help you start and run your handyman business efficiently.
How To Start a Handyman Business
The first thing you should do is learn the legalities of doing handyman work. Search your state and local laws to see if you need a license.
Find out which type of work needs a permit and which kinds of work you are prohibited from doing. Once you’re familiar with the laws, it’s time to choose a specialty.
Think about where your skills lie. Focusing on a specific area of home improvement rather than being a jack-of-all-trades can help you target customers.
How To Form a Company
Next, you’re going to want to write a business plan. One item on the plan will be your business structure. A good option to consider is an LLC, or limited liability company. This structure limits your risks by limiting your liability.
An LLC structure can:
- Reduce paperwork. LLCs don’t require the same paperwork as a corporation, saving you from having to file annual reports.
- Lower your taxes. Corporations have double taxation, while an LLC has pass-through taxation where you only pay taxes on your income.
- Save on fees. You can form an LLC yourself, saving you from lawyer’s fees.
- Limit your liability. An LLC is a layer of protection against lawsuits, as it limits your personal liability and helps to shield your personal assets.
If you’re searching for specific information about this process, look for online resources that show you exactly how to start an LLC.
How To Get Paying Clients
Once you acquire clients through advertising, referrals, or other methods, you’ll have to do a great job for them so they’ll feel like they’ve been provided real value. Then it’s time to collect payment for your hard work.
You may have an app to collect payments or offer a way to pay on your website. A reliable and secure payment system offers several advantages:
- Your clients’ payments are secure.
- If the transaction is difficult, clients may think twice about using your services again.
- Fewer It doesn’t eat into your profit with excessive fees.
- It allows your clients to send payments reliably.
Additionally, you can add features such as financial API bank account balance software that allows your customers to access their bank accounts before making any payments. This can help ensure they have enough funds to cover the transaction.
How To Use Software To Estimate Jobs
Estimating jobs is a time-consuming but necessary task. Construction estimating software may help you reclaim some of that lost time. With this software, you can easily add up materials and labor costs to see how much a job should cost, including taxes.
The software will show you the total cost to the consumer and even provide a convenient payment schedule. The final form can have your branding, logo, and company colors. This estimate can be sent from the job site and can also send reminders for approval.
Run a Handyman Business Efficiently
The tips above are not an exhaustive list of ways to run a handyman business. They’re more about how to run a business as efficiently as possible with the right tools. For tech reviews and product guides that might help your business, visit NaijaTechGuide.