Surface Book i7 (a.k.a Surface Book with Performance) is Microsoft’s answer to users who wished the original Surface Book released last year was a bit more powerful and had a longer-lasting battery. It packs a more robust processor, higher graphics power and over 30% boost in battery life.
Where to Buy Microsoft Surface
Design and Display
The Surface Book i7 remains virtually unchanged from the previous model in terms of look. This means it still parades a detachable design that gives you the versatility of a tablet or laptop.
However, this upgraded version appears to be slightly bulkier, weighing 3.63 pounds (1,647 kg) to the original model’s 3.48 pounds. Surface Book i7 features the same 13.5-inch PixelSense Display which is optimized for touch and Surface Pen.
Power and Performance
On the inside is where Microsoft has worked on the Surface Book i7. The original hybrid was built to deliver professional-grade performance, but Microsoft noted that engineers and gamers wanted even more power out of this machine and it has obliged.
As you may have figured from the name, the new Surface Book is fitted with latest generation Intel Core i7 processor, an upgrade on the Core i5 and Core i7 chip option on last year’s model. The powerful quad-core CPU is backed with a generous 8 GB or 16GB of RAM.
Microsoft Surface Book i7 also gets double the graphics power. Graphics is now crunched by a more powerful NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M graphics solution.
With this setup, you should expect minimal glitches when working with intensive professional applications, such as Adobe Premiere Pro and AutoCAD Revit. You should also expect a better gaming experience.
To further guard against the innards of the laptop getting roasted, Microsoft has added another fan to its thermal management system.
As if the 12-hour battery life provided by the first Surface Book wasn’t good enough, Surface Book i7 offers an amazing 16 hours of battery runtime – and that’s for when you are using it in laptop mode.
Surface Book i7 runs on latest Windows 10 Pro operating system and offers ample storage of up to 1 TB. You should still get two full-size USB 3.0 ports, a Mini DisplayPort and a full-size SD card reader among available interfaces.
Pricing and availability
Microsoft Surface Book i7 2-in-1 laptop is not yet available in Nigeria, Ghana, or Kenya but will go on sale in the United States starting at $2,399 from November 10, 2016, though you can preorder right now.
Microsoft Surface Book i7 price in Nigeria is expected to start at around 820,000 Naira, depending on your location and the configuration of the laptop.
Surface Book i7 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Surface Book i7 2-in-1 Laptop:
- OS: Windows 10 Pro
- Processor: 6th Gen Intel Core i7 Processor
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M with 2GB GDDR5 Memory
- Memory: 8GB or 16GB RAM
- Colours: Silver
- Dimension: 312.3 x 232.1 x 13.0 – 22.8 mm
- Weight: 1.647 kg
Display & Keyboard
- Display: 13.5-inch PixelSense Touchscreen Display, 3000 x 2000 pixels (267ppi)
- Keyboard: Chiclet style Keyboard (Detachable)
- Pointing Device: Glass Touchpad (up to 5 points)
- Built-in Storage: 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB Solid State Drive
- Optical Storage: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
Ports & Connectivity
- Webcam: Yes, 8MP rear camera with autofocus, and 5MP front camera (Both offer 1080p HD Video)
- USB 3.0: Yes, 2 ports
- USB 2.0: No
- HDMI: –
- DisplayPort: Yes (Mini Display Port)
- VGA: No
- Ethernet (RJ-45): No
- SD Slot: Yes, 1 slot
- Mic/Headphone: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 801.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.0
- Mobile Broadband: No
- Surface Connect
- Front-facing stereo speakers with Dolby audio
- Dual microphones, front and rear-facing
- Surface Pen
- TPM chip for Enterprise Security
- Ambient Light Sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer
- Battery: –
- Use Time: up to 16 hours video playback