The Huawei P40 Pro sheds more light on Huawei’s ability to manufacture smartphones with exceptionally great cameras, well-designed chassis, and top-notch hardware performance. However, the absence of Google services is likely to make purchase decisions a big NO for some consumers. Other members of the series include the Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro+, Huawei P40 Lite, and Huawei P40 Lite 5G.
Where to Buy Huawei P40 Pro
Huawei P40 Pro Key Specs & Features
- 6.58-inch OLED Display, 1200 x 2640 Pixels (441 PPI)
- Android 10.0 (AOSP + HMS); EMUI 10.1
- HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G (7 nm+) Processor
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage, Micro-SD Support Up to 256GB
- 50MP + 12MP + 40MP + TOF Quad Rear Camera
- 32MP + TOF Dual Front Camera
- Fingerprint Reader (Under Display)
- 40W Fast Charge
- Non-Removable Li-Po 4200 mAh Battery
Design and Display
The Huawei P40 Pro features a new chassis design, a bit far off from what we saw on the Huawei P30 Pro. This design is geared towards giving enthusiasts a new feel aesthetically.
Its build comprises of materials that place it in the flagship spot. You have got glass on the rear, glass upfront and an aluminum frame. It also has an IP68 rating for dust and water resistance. Huawei claims it can be dunked in 1.5m of water up to 30 mins.
On the rear, it sports a squared camera bump that houses four cameras and a camera flash. Below this camera bump is the Huawei moniker, which indicates its a Huawei smartphone.
Upfront we have a 6.58-inch OLED display showcasing Huawei efforts to eliminate the side bezels. It leaves with a curved display giving you an infinity pool vibe.
This display is home to appears to be one of the biggest camera cut-outs on any smartphone. This camera cut-out is home to dual front-facing cameras.
Year in year out, the cameras on Huawei flagship devices has remained one of their biggest and most discussed features. The reason behind this fact isn’t far fetched.
Huawei has continuously shown the world that its a top player in the smartphone photography game. They have so far created one of the best cameras on a mobile phone.
The Huawei P40 Pro continues the trend, offering camera hardware that is an upgrade over its predecessor. It features a quad-camera system on the rear and a dual-camera system for selfies.
Its rear camera system comprises a 50MP primary camera, a 12MP telephoto camera, a 40MP ultrawide camera and a time of flight sensor which helps in getting depth information.
The rear camera system may not completely match that of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, but it’s a worthy contender. With this camera setup, you can shoot photos with 50x zoom, photos in Panorama and HDR photos.
For video record, it has support for 4k video up to 60fps, 1080p video up to 960fps and 720p video up to 7680fps, which means you are up for some super slow-mo video recording.
For selfies, the Huawei P40 Pro makes use of a dual-camera setup housing a 32MP primary camera and an IR TOF 3D camera for depth information and biometrics.
Hardware and Software
The Huawei P40 Pro and last year’s Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G share spec sheet that appears to be a bit similar. The highlight is the fact that both smartphones run the Hi-Silicon 990 Processor.
Bear in mind that the Hi-Silicon Kirin 990 5G processor is more of a Snapdragon 855 contender, you would have to wait for the Mate 40 Pro to get a processor that matches the 2020 Snapdragon 865 Processor.
Other features powering the performance of this smartphone are 8GB of RAM, storage options beginning from 128GB and maxing at 512GB. It supports Micro-SD storage expansion up to 256GB, which in my opinion is mediocre and less befitting for a flagship device.
You also get a non-removable 4200 mAh Li-Po battery. To ensure fast charge, this Android phone supports 40W wired fast charge, 27W wireless fast charge, and 27W fast reverse wireless charge.
On the software side, the Huawei P40 Pro runs EMUI 10.1 on top of the Android 10.0 operating system. Please bear in mind that despite running an Android operating system, you won’t be having Google service. Google Play Store, Google Play services and others are absent here.
The Huawei P40 Pro features a 3.5mm headphone jack, a USB Type C port (3.1), dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.1 and NFC.
Internet connectivity on the Huawei P40 Pro is capped at sub-6GHz 5G. This means you will be able to stream and download with 5G speeds when you are in an area with 5G reception.
Huawei P40 Pro Price and Availability
Huawei P40 Pro price starts at around $785 at leading online stores. The smartphone costs around 415,000 Naira in Nigeria.
The smartphone was announced on March 26 and is expected to go on sale April 7.
Huawei P40 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei P40 Pro:
- Platform: Android 10.0 (AOSP + HMS); EMUI 10
- Processor: Octa-core 2×2.86 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×2.36 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.95 GHz Cortex-A55 ( HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP16
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Silver Frost, Blush Gold, Deep Sea Blue, Ice White, Black
- Dimension: 158.2 x 72.6 x 9 mm
- Weight: 209 g
- SIM Type: Single SIM (Nano-SIM/eSIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- SIM Count: Dual
- Display: 6.58-inch OLED Display, 1200 x 2640 Pixels, 441 PPI
- Screen Protection: Yes
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50MP (wide) f/1.9 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/3.4 + 40MP (Ultrawide) f/1.8 + TOF 3D, (Depth)
- Rear Camera Features: Leica optics, LED flash, panorama, HDR, 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps, 720@7680fps, 1080p@960fps, HDR; gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 32MP (wide) f/2.2 + IR TOF 3D (Depth/Biometrics Sensor) HDR, 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB / 512GB (UFS 3.0)
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 256GB
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 6(900), 7(2600), 8(900), 9(1800), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100) – ELS-N04
- 5G: 5G band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 28(700), 38(2600), 41(2500), 66(1700), 77(3700), 78(3500), 79(4700); SA/NSA – ELS-N04
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Dual-Band, Wi-Fi Direct, Hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, 5.1, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, Type-C (USB 3.1)
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (Under Display)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: Yes, 27W
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes, IP68
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: Non-Removable Li-Po 4200 mAh battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 40W Fast Charge Mechanism