The Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro falls in place as the successor to the Xiaomi Black Shark 3 Pro and also a more premium sibling of the Black Shark 4. As a successor, it offers a more capable processor, faster-charging mechanism, improved gaming ergonomics, and more, which are all wrapped in a redesigned chassis, that can pass as a regular design.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro
Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro Key Specs & Features
- 6.67 inches Super AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2400 Pixels, 20:9 Aspect Ratio (~395 PPI)
- Android 11, Joy UI 12.5
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 (5 nm)
- 8GB RAM / 12GB / 16GB RAM
- 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 64MP + 8MP + 5MP Triple Rear Camera
- 20MP Front Camera
- 5G Support
- Physical Pop-up Gaming Triggers
- Fingerprint Scanner (side-mounted)
- Fast Charging (120W Capacity)
- 4500 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Xiaomi black shark 4 pro bears the same design as seen on the vanilla shark 4. Both smartphones bear the new design that doesn’t actually give them off as gaming smartphones at first sight.
Taking a look at the Black shark 3 from the previous generation reveals the absence of gaming cues, which leaves us with a more subtle design.
Moving to examine the rear, shows the main difference. Here we observe the absence of the sections and the bright colour accents as seen on the shark 3. Here we have a smooth surface with the shark branding and emblem. There is also a colour variant that bears a very conspicuous X pattern with the shark logo in the middle.
Moving up front, find a 6.67 inches Super AMOLED display bearing a punch-hole camera in the top center position. The highlights of this display include a resolution of 1080 x 2400 Pixels, a density of approximately 395 PPI, and a 144Hz refresh rate, as seen on the vanilla Black shark 4 pro.
Black Shark 4 Pro features shoulder buttons that can be mapped to the game controls, give you more screen estate. Xiaomi announced improved the shoulder buttons by featuring a magnetic power lift tech, which makes the buttons more tactile. Aside from the shoulder buttons, we also have a pressure-sensitive display.
In addition to the shoulder buttons, we also have a pressure-sensitive display that I really liked in the Black Shark 2. With the shoulder buttons and a screen like this, you can re-map the controls of a mobile game to suit your style.
On paper, the Xiaomi Black shark 4 pro bears the same camera setup as its predecessor, however, these cameras are more capable than the ones on the vanilla black shark 4.
The rear camera setup bears a 64MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, an 8MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2, and a 120˚ field of view. Lastly, we have a 5MP macro camera with an aperture of f/2.4. This camera is capable of recording videos up to 4k @ 60fps.
Up on the front setup, is a single 20MP camera with an aperture of f/2.0. This camera is capable of recording videos up to 1080p @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
Moving onto the performance table, we have the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor, which as at the time this article was written, was the top-of-the-line processor. The Asus Rog 5 ultimate also runs on this processor.
Also onbaord is an Adreno 660 GPU, 8GB / 256GB, 12GB / 256GB and 16GB / 512GB RAM and storage options. What’s more, we have a non-removable 4500mAh Li-Po battery and a 120W fast charge mechanism.
On the software side, we have got the Joy UI 12.5 user interface running on the Android 11 operating system.
The Xiaomi BlackShark 4 Pro features a 3.5mm headphone jack, a USB Type-C 2.0 port, NFC support, low-energy Bluetooth 5.2, and WiFi.
Internet connectivity here is capped at 5G, which means enthusiasts can utilize 5G connectivity for downloads, uploads, and streaming.
Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro Price and Availability
The price of the Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro starts at around $611 for the 8GB / 128GB variant, which translates to about 232,180 Naira in Nigeria, 67,088 KSH in Kenya, and 3,532 GHC in Ghana.
Enthusiasts who desire to purchase the 12GB / 256GB variant will have to pay $690, while enthusiasts who desire the top-of-the-line 16GB / 512GB variant will have to pay $810.
The Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro comes in three colour variants and includes Black, Dark Blue, and Silver. An announcement was made on the 23rd of March 2021 and the launch date is set for March 30th, 2021.
Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro:
- Platform: Android 11, Joy UI 12.5
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8250-AC Snapdragon 888 (5 nm) (Octa-core 1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Memory: 8GB / 12GB / 16GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Dark Blue, Silver
- Dimension: 163.8 x 76.4 x 9.9 mm
- Weight: 220 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.67 inches Super AMOLED, 1080 x 2400 Pixels, ~395 PPI, HDR10+, 144Hz Refresh Rate, 1300 nits (peak)
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64MP (Primary) f/1.8 + 8MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2, 120˚ FOV + 5MP (Macro) f/2.4
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, Panorama, PDAF, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, [email protected]
- Front Camera: 20MP Camera, f/2.0, HDR, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G WCDMA: 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G: 1, 3, 8, 28, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: non-removable 4500mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes (120W Capacity)