The Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold may not be Xiaom’s first foray into foldables, however its the first Xiaomi Foldable smartphone to actually make its way to the market. The fact that it hit the market after some top brands have pushed their own foldables shows Xiaomi had a lot to learn from. This goes to say the Mi Mix fold should be a product of Xiaomi’s observation and obligation towards making an apt foldable smartphone.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold
Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold Key Specs & Features
- Unfolded: 8.01 inches, Foldable AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1860 x 2480 Pixels (387 PPI)
- Cover: 6.52 inches AMOLED Touch Screen 840 x 2520 Pixels, 90Hz Refresh Rate, Dolby Vision
- Android 10, MIUI 12
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 (5nm) Processor
- 12GB / 16GB RAM
- 256GB / 512GB built-in storage
- 108MP + 8MP + 13MP Tri Rear Camera.
- 20MP Front Camera
- 5G Support
- Fingerprint sensor (Side-Mounted)
- 67W fast charging
- 5020mAh non-removable Li-Po battery
Design and Display
Taking a look at the Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold should immediately bring to mind the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G that’s if you are conversant with it’s design.
The Samsung Galaxy Fold series has so far being a top player in the fold smartphone market, being the most adopted. So its really no surprise Xiaomi took the same route as Huawei did with the Mate X2.
Bearing a reminiscence of the Galaxy Z Fold 2 folding system, the Huawei Mate X2 leaves us with a cover display which can be used for a lot of quick tasks and also large screen inside which can be accessed by unfolding the device.
The enclosed in the fold is an 8.01 inches foldable AMOLED display. The highlights of this display includes a resolution of 1860 x 2480 and a density of 387 PPI.
The outer (cover) display is a 6.52 inches AMOLED display is 6.52 inches in size and its highlights include a 840 x 2520 Pixels and a 90Hz refresh rate.
Moving onto the chassis build, we have options for either aluminium or cremaic frame, glass on the cover display and plastic on the unfolded display. This build combo is pretty much in-line with what we have seen on recently released foldable smartphones.
A Distinguished Camera System
Xiaomi finally releasing a foldable smartphone is one thing to be excited about and the cameras featured is another. Xiaomi made efforts to offering one of the most advanced camera system on any smartphone, foldables inclusive.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold camera system is powered by Xiaomi’s creation, the Surge C1 chip, which lets the it runs 3A algorithms – Auto Focus, Auto Exposure and Auto White Balance function in a power efficient manner.
The highlights of the Xiaomi Mi Mix fold camera system is the world’s first liquid lens technology on its 8MP telephoto / macro camera. Having this liquid lens in place allows the macro camera to focus on objects as close as 3cm. It also lets it focus on distant objects for zoom shots.
Inside the liquid lens is a flexible film filled with transparent liquid. This liquid lens has the ability ti change shape like the lens in the hear which is facilitated by a precision motor. There is also provision for extreme temperature as the camera can function in temperature raging from -40ºC to 60ºC.
Zoom capability of the this macro / telephoto camera ranges from 3x optical zoom to 30x digital zoom.
So much info for just one camera. However the goodies doesn’t end there. Also onboard is a 108MP primary camera rocking the Samsung HMX sensor, this camera has an aperture of f/1.8. Lastly, we have a 13MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.3 and a
For selfies, enthusiasts will have to make do with the 20MP camera instilled in the punch hole camera on the top left corner of the cover display.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix fold falls in the high-end performance category as expected, which is thanks to its top rate hardware performance components.
Onboard we have an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor, an Adreno 660 processor, option for either 12GB / 16GB RAM, 256GB / 512GB built-in storage options, a non-removable 5020mAh Li-Po battery and a 67W fast charge system.
On the software side, we have a MIUI 12 user-interface running on the Android 10 operating system.
Still on the software, Xiaomi generously added a PC mode feature, which can be likend to the Dex feature on high-end Samsung smartphones. The PC mode is activated by swiping three fingers together.
Enthusiasts will be served with a desktop-style UI with multiple windowed app when once the PC mode is activated.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold features a low-energy Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, Infrared port, we also have a USB type-C port.
Please note that there is no headphone jack here, which means you will need to get either a USB type-c headphone or wireless headphones.
Internet connectivity is capped at 5G, which means enthusiasts in areas with 5G reception can utilize 5G connections for downloads, uploads and streaming.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold Price and Availability
The Xiaomi Mi Mix fold price starts at $1,521 for the base 12GB / 256GB variant which translates to about 580,261 Naira in Nigeria, 165,637 KSH in Kenya and 8,799 GHC in Ghana.
Enthusiasts who desire the 12GB / 512GB varaint will have to pay $1,674, while those who desire the top of the 512GB / 16GB varaint with ceramics will have to pay $1,977.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix fold was announced in March 2021 and is expected to be released in April 2021.
Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold:
- Platform: Android 10, MIUI 12
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm) (Octa-core 1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Memory: 12GB / 16GB
- Colours: Black, Ceramic
- Dimension: Unfolded: 173.3 x 133.4 x 7.6 mm – Folded: 173.3 x 69.8 x 17.2 mm
- Weight: 317 g (Glass) – 332 g (Ceramic)
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: Unfolded – (8.01 inches Foldable AMOLED, 1860 x 2480 Pixels, ~85.9% screen-to-body ratio, ~387 PPI) – Folded ( 6.52 inches AMOLED, 840 x 2520 Pixels, 90Hz Refresh Rate)
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: Yes
- Rear Camera: 108MP (Primary) f/1.8 + 8MP (Telephoto/Macro) + 13MP (Ultrawide) f/2.3, 123˚ FOV
- Rear Camera Features: Dual LED flash, HDR, PDAF, Panorama, [email protected]/30fps, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60fps, gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 20MP, HDR, panorama, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 256 / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: CDMA 800
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
- 5G: 1, 3, 28, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB Type-C
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers (4 speakers)
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Tri-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 5020 mAh Li-Po
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 67W Capacity