The iPhone 13 Pro succeeds the iPhone 12 Pro, with a package consisting of a faster processor, a bigger storage option, improved cameras, and a bigger battery, all wrapped in a very familiar chassis.
Where to Buy iPhone 13 Pro
Comparing it to its less premium sibling the iPhone 13, shows we have a higher refresh rate display, bigger battery, more capable camera system, and bigger storage. More on them later in the body of the article.
iPhone 13 Pro Key Specs and Features
- 6.1 inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, 1170 x 2532 Pixels, 460 PPI, 120 Hz Refresh Rate
- Apple A15 Bionic (5nm)
- iOS 15
- 4GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP Triple Rear Cameras
- 12MP Front Camera
- IP68 Splash, Water & Dust Resistance
- MagSafe wireless charging 15W
- Qi magnetic fast wireless charging (7.5W Capacity)
- Fast Wired Charging (20W)
Design and Display
Trying to spot the difference that exists between the iPhone 13 Pro’s design and iPhone 12 Pro, will have you taking hard stares. This is due to a very obvious fact.
Just like the other iPhone 13 models and their predecessors, the 13 Pro’s design isn’t far fetched from 12 Pro, as their designs are very similar.
Taking off with what’s on the rear, you will find the same ceramic shield glass on which you will find the same camera bump design housing three cameras, an LED flash and a LiDar sensor.
The names of the color options available for the rear panel are different on paper when compared to the 12 Pro, however, they are very similar. The options available here includes Graphite, Gold, Silver, Sierra Blue, as opposed to Silver, Graphite, Gold, Pacific Blue on the 12 Pro.
Moving on, we have the same stainless steel edges and upfront we have a 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR display with a resolution of 1170 x 2532 Pixels and a density of approx 460 PPI. However, the iPhone 13 Pro takes things up a notch, with it’s 20 percent smaller notch and its adaptive 120Hz refresh rate, in place of the 60Hz refresh rate on the former.
The fact that the 120Hz rate is variable means you won’t be get the 120Hz smoothness all the time. Apple built the iPhone 13 to automatically turn off the 10Hz refresh rate on apps like an Ebook reader that won’t utilize it, in a bid to increase battery life.
The iPhone 13 Pro’s cameras feature upgrades over the iPhone 12 Pro, however it’s going to require you investing a substantial measure of your time to notice the difference.
On the rear, have a triple camera system coupled with an LED flash and a LIDAR sensor for depth in a similar manner to what we saw on the iPhone 12 Pro.
However, apple claims to have improved the 12MP telephoto camera which is now set at 77mm as opposed to being 52mm on the former.
The 12MP primary camera also moved from having 1.4µm to being 1.9µm on the iPhone 13 Pro and lastly we have the 13MP ultrawide camera with a 120˚ field of view. Video recording on the rear is capped at 4k @ 60fps.
Aside from the hardware upgrades, Apple also introduced some improvements in the camera software, leaving us with photography profiles and cinematic mode mode.
Photography profiles allow you to set a certain shade of colour for all photos taken. It can be seen as automatically apply a preset on all your photos as they are taken, instead of having to edit them afterwards.
Cinematic mode on the other hand attempts to imitate the shift in focus we see on high-end digital cameras. Subjects in the video get blurred out when they are tapped out of focus.
On the selfie side, we have yet another 12MP shooter. This camera can shoot videos up to 4k @ 60fps also.
Hardware and Software
Apple did bump up performance this year. The chief of the upgrades is the all-new A15 bionic cheap. It displaces the A14 on last year’s model.
What’s more, apple included a 1TB storage option this year, along side the other traditional storage variants that include 128GB, 256GB and 512GB.
The battery was also another place apple made an upgrade, Apple claims the battery on the iPhone 13 Pro is 11% higher than what was served on the iPhone 12 Pro. This translates to an extra 1 and half hour battery life.
Moving on the software side, we have the IOS 15, which brings forth a redesigned Safari browser, a richer weather app, improved maps, live text, and more.
The iPhone 13 Pro features a Lightning port (USB 2.0), low-energy Bluetooth 5.0, and near field connection (NFC).
Internet connectivity here is capped at 5G, which means enthusiasts can utilize 5G connectivity on this device for downloads, uploads, and downloads.
iPhone 13 Pro Price and Availability
iPhone 13 Pro price starts at around $999 for the 128GB variant. The iPhone 13 Pro costs around 690,000 in Naira, 6,034 GHC in Ghana, 28,999 EGP in Egypt and 110,320 KHS in Kenya.
While the 256GB is around $1,099, the 512GB variant around $1,299 and the maxed out 1TB variant for about $1,499
The iPhone 13 was announced on the 14th of September 2021 and sales are expected to begin on the 24th of September 2021.
iPhone 13 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the iPhone 13 Pro:
- Platform: iOS 15
- Processor: Apple A15 Bionic (5 nm) (Hexa-core 2×3.22 GHz Avalanche + 4xX.X GHz Blizzard)
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Colours: Graphite, Gold, Silver, Sierra Blue
- Dimension: 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.7 mm
- Weight: 174 g
- SIM Type: Dual-SIM
- SIM Count: Nano-SIM
- Display: 6.1-inch OLED Super Retina XDR Display, 2532‑by‑1170-Pixel, ~460 PPI
- Screen Protection: Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Primary) f/1.5, PDAF, Sensor-Shift OIS + 12MP (Telephoto) PDAF, OIS, 3x Optical Zoom + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/1.8, 120˚ FOV
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama), 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, 10‑bit HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 60fps), ProRes, Cinematic Mode, Stereo Sound rec
- Front Camera: 12 MP Camera, f/2.2, SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor), HDR, 4K@24/25/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: 2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 46, 48, 66, 71, A2482, A2631, A2633, A2634, A2635,
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 29, 30, 38, 40, 41, 48, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79 Sub6/mmWave – A2483, SA/NSA/Sub6 – A2638, A2639, SA/NSA/Sub6 – A2636
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Lightning, USB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes (Face ID)
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes (Siri)
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes (7.5W)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes (IP68)
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: –
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes (20W)