Samsung Galaxy S22 5G is the latest iteration of Samsung’s flagship S series and succeeds the Galaxy S21 for the 2022 model year. It is the entry level and most affordable model of the 2022 Galaxy S series. The Galaxy S22 is not radically different from its predecessor, but offers improvements that makes it a solid option if you are looking for a premium Galaxy smartphone.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy S22 5G
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G features a more brilliant display with latest software and hardware to boot. If there is any reservation about the smartphone, it is in the battery department. The built-in 3700 mAh battery seems like a downgrade when we consider that the 2021 model featured a 4000 mAh battery.
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G Key Specs and Features
- 6.1-inch, Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 1080 x 2340 Pixels (401 ppi), 1300 nits
- Adaptive Refresh Rate (48 Hz to 120 Hz)
- Android 12, One UI 4.1
- 8GB RAM
- Octa-core Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (USA) / Octa-core Exynos 2200 (Global)
- 128GB / 256GB Built-in Storage
- 50MP + 10MP + 12MP Triple Rear Camera
- 10MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Under Display, Ultrasonic)
- 25W Fast Charging
- 15W Wireless Charging
- 4.5W Reverse Wireless Charging
- Water and Dust Proof (IP68 certification)
- 3700 mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
The Design and Display
The design is essentially the same as the S21 and its siblings like the Galaxy S21 Plus, Galaxy S21 Ultra, and Galaxy S21 FE. An all screen front with an O-cutout for the selfie camera. The back has not changed with the three rear cameras vertically lined-up on the bump on top left.
However, while the Galaxy S21 features contrasting colours on the back with the bump housing the camera having a different colour from the rest of the back, the Galaxy S22 5G has one colour on the back.
While the S22 looks very similar to the S21, the build material has been upgraded from polycarbonate to metal and glass for better durability.
The Samsung Galaxy S22 5G features a Corning Gorilla Glass Victus Plus on the back with an aluminium frame. Colour options include Phantom Black, White, Pink Gold, Green, Graphite, Sky Blue, Violet, Cream.
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G features a smaller display, shrinking from 6.2-inch to 6.1-inch of the S21. The Dynamic AMOLED 2X display features a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, HDR10+, Always on display, and an impressive brightness of up to 1300 nits.
The display features adaptive refresh rate that goes all the way from 48 Hz when on Always on Display mode to 120Hz. This helps in battery management.
All these makes the display very impressive for watching movies and browsing the web and with the power it boasts of gaming will also be great. The display is also covered with Corning Gorilla Glass Victus Plus.
If you want a bigger screen, the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G could be a great option.
With IP68 rating the smartphone dust and water resistant and can survive up to 1.5 metres for up to 30 minutes.
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G offers a major improvement on the main camera with a bigger sensor. You get an overall better photography experience. Low light performance has also greatly improved.
The telephoto camera has been downgraded from 64 megapixels to 10 megapixels, but with the swapping out of the hybrid zoom for 3X optical zoom, you get sharper photos when you zoom. It supports up to 30X space zoom.
The third rear camera has not changed much. It is still a 12 megapixel 120˚ ultrawide angle camera.
Samsung Galaxy S22 is a good camera phone. It features phase detection autofocus (PDAF) as well as Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS).
In the video department, you can record 8k videos at up to 24 fps, 4k videos at up to 60 fps, Full HD videos at up to 240 fps, and HD videos at up to 960 fps.
The front camera also remains a 10 megapixels camera. It support dual video calls and record 4k videos at up to 60 frames per second (fps).
Hardware and Software
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G is powered by a top of the line processor. However, the processor you get depends on your country. The US versions are powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, while in other parts of the world the android phone is powered by Samsung’s Exynos 2200 chipset.
Performance is similar irrespective of the chipset. The chipset is paired with 8GB RAM to deliver a solid performance. We expect the device to deliver as a gaming phone.
You get an option of 128GB or 256GB built-in storage with no memory card slot.
Battery seems to be one of the letdowns of the Galaxy S22. A downgrade of the battery from 4000 mAh to 3700 mAh does not bode well for battery stamina. The smartphone supports fast charging and fast wireless charging.
Samsung Galaxy S22 runs on Android 12 with Samsung’s One UI 4.1 interface. This features a UI that is more refined.
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G sports a USB Type-C Port (USB 3.2) for fast charging and wired communications. Bluetooth 5.2 with LE and A2DP as well as NFC is provided for wireless connectivity.
The smartphone supports 5G connectivity for superfast downloads, uploads, and streaming. You also get Wi-Fi 6 and dual-band Wi-Fi.
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G price starts at $799 for the 8GB / 128GB variant and $849 for the 8GB / 256GB variant. The Galaxy S22 5G costs 460,000 Naira in Nigeria, 111,000 KES in Kenya, and 5,790 GHS in Ghana.
The 5G phone was announced on February 9, 2022, and was available for purchase from February 22, 2022.
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G
- Platform: Android 12, One UI 4.1
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (4 nm) Octa-core Processor (3.0 GHz Cortex-X2 & 2.40 GHz tri-core Cortex-710 & 1.70 GHz quad-core Cortex-A510) – USA / China – Exynos 2200 (4 nm) Octa-core Processor (2.8 GHz Cortex-X2 & 2.50 GHz tri-core Cortex-A710 & 1.8 GHz quad-core Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Xclipse 920 (International), Adreno 730 (USA/China)
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Phantom Black, White, Pink Gold, Green, Graphite, Sky Blue, Violet, Cream
- Dimension: 146 x 70.6 x 7.6 mm
- Weight: 167 g / 168 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single-SIM or Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.1-Inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 1080 x 2340 Pixels (424 ppi), ~87.4% Screen-to-body Ratio, 120Hz Adaptive Refresh Rate (48Hz to 120Hz), HDR10+, up to 1300 nits brightness, 19.5:9 aspect ratio
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50MP (Primary, wide) f/1.8, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS + 10MP (Telephoto) f/2.4, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom, 30x Space Zoom + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2, 120˚ FOV, Super Steady Video
- Rear Camera Features: [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, [email protected], HDR10+, stereo sound recording, gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 10MP wide Camera, f/2.2, Dual video call, Auto-HDR, Dual Pixel PDAF, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 66 (International model)
- 5G: 5G bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 75, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 (International model), SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave for USA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 2 Gbps (download)
- 5G: Yes, up to 5 Gbps (download)
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB Type-C (USB 3.2), USB on the Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Under display, ultrasonic)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Google Assistant, Bixby
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes, Qi / PMA Wireless Charging (15W Capacity) + 4.5W Reverse wireless charging
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68 – up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 3700 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 25W Fast Charging Capacity, Power Delivery 3.0, 15W Fast Wireless Charging