Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G is more or less like a bigger variant of the Galaxy S22 5G. It features a bigger display, compared to the S22, that is also more brilliant with impressive brightness. However, the display and battery are smaller compared to the Galaxy S21 Plus 5G. Samsung Galaxy S22+ offers a premium build with the latest software and hardware.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G
The 5G smartphone features a similar design compared to its predecessor. However, the downgrading of the battery from 4800 mAh to 4500 mAh is a major snag. Samsung hopes the adaptive refresh rate and more efficient hardware can make up for it, but one still wonders.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G Key Specs and Features
- 6.6-inch, Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 1080 x 2340 Pixels (393 ppi), 1750 nits
- Adaptive Refresh Rate (48 Hz to 120 Hz)
- Android 12, One UI 4.1
- 8GB RAM
- Octa-core Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (USA) / Octa-core Exynos 2200 (Global)
- 128GB / 256GB Built-in Storage
- 50MP + 10MP + 12MP Triple Rear Camera
- 10MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Under Display, Ultrasonic)
- 45W Fast Charging
- 15W Wireless Charging
- 4.5W Reverse Wireless Charging
- Water and Dust Proof (IP68 certification)
- 4500 mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
The Design and Display
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G features an aluminium frame with Corning Gorilla Glass Victus Plus protection on the front and back. The smartphone comes in eight different colour options: Phantom Black, White, Pink Gold, Green, Graphite, Sky Blue, Violet, Cream.
The design is very similar to the S22, the S21 Plus, and the rest of the S21 series like the Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21 Ultra, and Galaxy S21 FE. You get an all screen front with an infinity O-cutout in the top centre position for the selfie camera. On the back, you still have the bump on the top left housing the vertically positioned set of three cameras.
The android phone is IP68 certified with dust and water resistance capability. It can survive up to 1.5 metres for up to 30 minutes.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G features a slightly smaller display compared to the S21+. The display is reduced from 6.7-inch to 6.6-inch. The Dynamic AMOLED 2X display features a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, HDR10+, and Always on display. For a bigger screen, see the Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G.
While the display on the Galaxy S22 features an impressive 1300 nits brightness, the Galaxy S22+ boasts of an even more impressive brightness with 1750 nits, ensuring that you comfortably use the Samsung smartphone even in direct sunlight.
The OLED display ensures vivid colours and deeper blacks. This makes this a great mobile phone for watching movies and browsing the web.
The display features adaptive refresh rate that goes all the way from 48 Hz when on Always on Display mode or reading text to 120Hz. This display uses just about the right refresh rate required for the best result. This helps in battery management.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus features exactly the same camera as the Galaxy S22. You get three cameras on the back. The main camera sports a 50 megapixels sensor with a bigger sensor that lets in more light and offers better low light photography.
It also features a 10 megapixels telephoto sensor with 3X optical zoom and a 12 megapixels ultrawide angle camera.
The camera can record 8k videos at up to 24 fps, 4k videos at up to 60 fps, Full HD videos at up to 240 fps, and HD videos at up to 960 fps. You also get phase detection autofocus (PDAF) and Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS).
The front camera features a 10 megapixels sensor and supports dual video calls and record 4k videos at up to 60 frames per second (fps).
Hardware and Software
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus is powered by Qualcomm’s top of the line chipset for android devices, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 in the United States. For the rest of the world the smartphone sports Samsung’s Exynos 2200 chipset.
Both chipsets promises to deliver similar performances and a both built on 4 nm technology.
While the Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 offers a single-core Cortex-X2 clocked at 3GHz, a triple-core Cortex-A710 clocked at 2.4GHz, and a quad-core Cortex-A510 clocked at up to 1.7GHz, the Samsung Exynos 2200 offers an octa-core processor with a single-core Cortex-X2 clocked at 2.8GHz, a triple-core Cortex-A710 clocked at 2.5GHz, and a quad-core Cortex-A510 clocked at 1.8GHz.
Like in the S22, the Galaxy S22+ sports an 8GB RAM with the option of either 128GB or 256GB built-in storage. There is no memory card slot provided. This is one of the best gaming phones available today.
Also like in the S22, battery seems to be a let down with Samsung sacrificing battery capacity for a more compact design. A drop from 4800 mAh to 4500 mAh is quite significant, but the Galaxy S22+ should still be able to handle a full day before needing charge.
With fast charging supported, you would not have to wait for too long to get the juice back. The smartphone supports up to 45W charging capacity, USB Power Delivery 3.0, 15W wireless charging, and 4.5W reverse wireless charging.
While the charging cable is provided in the box, the charger is not provided. So, if you do not have a compatible charger already, you would have to buy one.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus runs on Android 12 and One UI 4.1 interface out of the box. The mobile phone also supports Samsung Dex for a desktop computing experience.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G sports a USB Type-C Port (USB 3.2) for fast charging and wired communications. Bluetooth 5.2 with LE and A2DP as well as NFC is provided for wireless connectivity.
The smartphone supports 5G connectivity for superfast downloads, uploads, and streaming. You also get Wi-Fi 6 and dual-band Wi-Fi.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G price starts at $999 for the 8GB / 128GB variant and $1,049 for the 8GB / 256GB variant. The Galaxy S22 Plus 5G costs 510,000 Naira in Nigeria, 155,000 KES in Kenya, and 5,900 GHS in Ghana.
The 5G phone was announced on February 9, 2022, and was available for purchase from February 22, 2022.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus 5G
- Platform: Android 12, One UI 4.1
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (4 nm) Octa-core Processor (3.0 GHz Cortex-X2 & 2.40 GHz tri-core Cortex-710 & 1.70 GHz quad-core Cortex-A510) – USA / China – Exynos 2200 (4 nm) Octa-core Processor (2.8 GHz Cortex-X2 & 2.50 GHz tri-core Cortex-A710 & 1.8 GHz quad-core Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Xclipse 920 (International), Adreno 730 (USA/China)
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Phantom Black, White, Pink Gold, Green, Graphite, Sky Blue, Violet, Cream
- Dimension: 157.4 x 75.8 x 7.6 mm
- Weight: 195 g / 196 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single-SIM or Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.6-Inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 1080 x 2340 Pixels (393 ppi), ~88.3% Screen-to-body Ratio, 120Hz Adaptive Refresh Rate (48Hz to 120Hz), HDR10+, up to 1750 nits brightness, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, Always on Display
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50MP (Primary, wide) f/1.8, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS + 10MP (Telephoto) f/2.4, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom, 30x Space Zoom + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2, 120˚ FOV, Super Steady Video
- Rear Camera Features: [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, [email protected], HDR10+, stereo sound recording, gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 10MP wide Camera, f/2.2, Dual video call, Auto-HDR, Dual Pixel PDAF, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 66 (International model)
- 5G: 5G bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 75, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 (International model), SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave for USA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 2 Gbps (download)
- 5G: Yes, up to 5+ Gbps (download)
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB Type-C (USB 3.2), USB on the Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Under display, ultrasonic)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Google Assistant, Bixby
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes, Qi / PMA Wireless Charging (15W Capacity) + 4.5W Reverse wireless charging
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68 – up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 4500 mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 45W Fast Charging Capacity, Power Delivery 3.0, 15W Fast Wireless Charging