Oppo A78 5G is a Oppo’s latest addition to it’s budget and affordable smartphone category. It comes with a 6.56 inches display, 50MP dual-camera setup, MediaTek’s Dimensity 700 SoC, and a 5,000mAh battery with a 33W charging setup. This mid-range device is a 5G phone with 8GB of RAM with 128GB of storage.
Where to Buy Oppo A78 5G
Jumia Nigeria – See Offers | Jumia Kenya – See Offers
Oppo A78 5G Key Specs and Features
- 6.56 inches IPS LCD Display, 720 x 1612 pixels (~269 ppi density), ~84.0% screen-to-body ratio
- Android 12, ColorOS 13
- Mediatek MT6833 Dimensity 700 (7 nm) Octa Core Processor
- 4GB, 8GB RAM
- 50 MP (wide) + 2 MP (depth) Dual Rear Camera
- 8 MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (side mounted)
- 128GB Built-in Storage
- 4G LTE Support
- 5G Support
- 33W Fast Charging Capacity
- 5000 mAh Non removable Li-Po Battery
For an affordable phone, the Oppo A78 has an incredible design. It has a polycarbonate build and glass front display. The screen is covered with a 2.5D curved glass that seamlessly blends into the phone. The display has slim surrounding bezels but a slightly thicker chin.
The Oppo A78 5G also has a waterdrop notch at the top of the display that host the front facing camera. This device measures 163.8 x 75.1 x 8 mm in dimension and weigh 188 g, which make it comfortable for grip.
Flip the device over and you get a smooth rear panel with glossy finish. The smartphone has Oppo branding at the bottom left corner, and two circular camera bumps at the top left corner. This device has flat edges which improves grip and ergonomics.
Additionally, Oppo A78 5G has a power button that doubled as the fingerprint scanner on the left. On the right, sits the SIM tray and the volume rockers, while at the bottom, the device has a speaker grille, a 3.5mm port, and a USB Type-C port.
The Oppo A78 features a 6.56-inch Full HD+ IPS LCD display with a resolution of 720 x 1612 pixels and an 20:9 aspect ratio. This display has a pixel density of approximately 296 pixels per inch, which provides sharp and clear visuals. Furthermore, the A78 5G has 90Hz refresh rate, which makes the screen more responsive and smoother.
The screen has a typical brightness of 480 nits, and 600 nits maximum brightness level in high-brightness mode (HBM) with a contrast ratio of 1000:1, which makes it bright and vibrant even in outdoor conditions. The colors on the display are accurate and natural-looking, and the viewing angles are good with minimal color distortion.
Additionally, the Oppo A78 display features a 2.5D glass that provides a smooth and seamless touch experience. The display also has a Panda glass protection, which makes it resistant to scratches and accidental drops.
Oppo A78 features a dual-lens camera system on the back. The camera system includes a 50-megapixel primary sensor with an f/1.8 aperture and a 2-megapixel depth sensor with an f/2.4 aperture.
The primary sensor uses pixel binning technology that helps improve image quality by combining multiple pixels into a larger “superpixel.” This can help to reduce image noise, improve low-light performance, and enhance overall sharpness and detail.
Additionally, Oppo A78’s camera system also includes features such as phase detection autofocus (PDAF), high dynamic range (HDR), and a dual-LED flash. It is capable of recording video in up to 1080p at 30 frames per second. On the front of the phone, there is a single 8-megapixel selfie camera with an f/2.0 aperture.
Hardware and Software
In the performance department, the A78 5G has the MediaTek Dimensity 700 5G chipset, which is designed to provide good performance and 5G connectivity in mid-range devices. It shares this processor with affordable 5G smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G, the Umidigi A13 Pro Max 5G, and the Umidigi A13 Pro 5G.
It features an octa-core processor with two Cortex-A76 cores clocked at up to 2.2GHz and six Cortex-A55 cores clocked at up to 2.0GHz. The chipset is paired with Mali-G57 MC2 GPU, which should provide decent graphics performance.
Furthermore, this device has two RAM variants – 4GB RAM + 64GB storage and 8GB RAM + 128GB storage. Both variants use LPDDR4x RAM and UFS 2.1 storage. The storage can be expanded up to 1TB using a dedicated microSD card slot.
The Oppo A78 5G is also equipped with a 5000mAh battery, which should provide good battery life. It supports 33W fast charging, which should allow the phone to be charged quickly.
Additionally, this Oppo smartphone runs on the Android 11 operating system with Oppo’s custom skin, ColorOS 13. The ColorOS 13 is an intuitive and user-friendly interface that offers a range of features to enhance the user experience.
For connectivity, Oppo A78 5G also has a 3.5mm headphone jack and a USB Type-C port. The android phone supports dual-SIM cards and 5G connectivity, which should allow it to take advantage of faster mobile data speeds. It also supports Bluetooth 5.3, Wi-Fi 6 ( 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac), and GPS/ GALILEO/ GLONASS/ BDS/ QZSS.
Oppo A78 5G Price and Availability
Oppo A78 5G price starts at $ 250 / £ 205 / €230 / ₹18,999. The Oppo A78 5G price ranges from about ₦110,000 to ₦130,000 in Nigeria.
The A78 5G was announced in January 2023 and was available for purchase starting in January 2023.
Oppo A78 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Oppo A78 5G:
- Platform: Android 12, ColorOS 13
- Processor: Mediatek MT6833 Dimensity 700 (7 nm) Octa Core Processor (2.2 GHz dual-core Cortex-A76 and 2.0 GHz hexa-core Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G57 MC2
- Memory: 4GB, 8GB RAM
- Colours: Glowing Black, Glowing Purple
- Dimension: 163.8 x 75.1 x 8 mm
- Weight: 188 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.56 inches IPS LCD Display, 720 x 1612 pixels (~269 ppi density), 90Hz Refresh Rate, 480 nits (typ), 600 nits (HBM) Brightness, 20:9 Aspect Ratio, ~84.0% screen-to-body ratio
- Screen Protection: Yes (Panda Glass)
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50 MP (wide), f/1.8, PDAF + 2 MP (depth), f/2.4 Dual Camera
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, HDR, Panorama, [email protected]
- Front Camera: 8 MP (wide), f/2.0 Camera, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card Support: microSDXC
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 38, 39, 40, 41, 66
- 5G: 5G Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 77, 78 SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.3, A2DP, LE, aptX
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes USB Type-C 2.0, OTG
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: GPS, GALILEO, GLONASS, BDS, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (side mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 5000 mAh Non removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 33W Fast Charging Capacity, recharge zero to 52% in 30 minutes, recharge zero to 100% in 67 minutes