The 2015 Honda CR-V introduces some interesting changes to the CR-V nameplate. It still comes in front wheel drive or all wheel drive models, but the four cylinder engine now offers direct injection with continuously variable transmission (CVT).
The CR-V is a compact SUV manufactured by Japanese car manufacturer Honda, the smallest SUV in Honda’s lineup, and was first introduced 20 years ago in 1995. The vehicle is considered an entry level SUV due to its compact size.
CR-V stands for Compact Recreational Vehicle, the car is considered a safe, spacious and comfortable vehicle that is generally meant for family use, as it is large enough to accommodate several children, or for use in situations where several people need to travel at once.
The exterior of the 2015 model of the Honda CR-V possesses some subtle, elegant curves, but the car looks a bit like an inflated hatchback. That is the charm of the car though, in a way, as it is after all meant to be a compact SUV. I just wonder what the revamped look of this vehicle is, as it doesn’t look very nice at all.
The lowest level trim of the vehicle, called LX, possesses 16 inch alloy wheels, whereas all the higher level trims possess 17 inch wheels up until the very highest trim which is called the CR-V Touring.
The 2015 Honda CR-V Touring possesses 18 inch wheels as well as some impressive projector beam headlights. The car features keyless entry and ignition as well as a sunroof and privacy glass at the rear.
However, this is still the Honda CR-V, it is still the comfortable old jacket that you will always choose to wear just because you’re used to it and you know it inside and it. It looks the same, and that’s a good thing because nobody really wanted that bit to change.
The lowest level trim, the Honda CR-V LX, comes with a lot of features that belie its low status. The steering wheel is fully adjustable, both tilt wise and telescopically, and the driver’s seat is fully height adjustable as well.
It seems as though Honda really has the needs of its drivers well in mind. This trim level also features a four speaker sound system with CD player included, as well as an auxiliary audio jack and USB audio interface as well. A rear view camera rounds off the features that are included in this trim level.
The next trim level, called the Honda CR-V EX, ups the ante by providing a six speaker sound system as well as heated front seats which can really come in handy during cold climate, especially if you, like me, and don’t like hot air from a heater blowing in your face.
Keyless entry and ignition is available from this trim level upwards, as well as a 7 inch touch screen that can come in handy in a lot of situations. The next two trim levels of the 2015 Honda CR-V possess seven speaker sound systems, as well as auto dimming rear view mirrors, and the Touring, which is the absolute premium trim, also possesses memory settings for the driver’s seat.
These are some pretty impressive features, and it really feels as if Honda has worked hard to make the car a comfortable vehicle for the whole family.
The 2015 model of the Honda CR-V comes with all of the basic safety features such as anti lock brakes, traction control and front and side curtain airbags. The vehicle also possesses a rear view camera as well as a blind spot camera, although the latter is not available in the lowest level trim, the LX.
Apart from these features, the 2015 Honda CR-V Touring trim also possesses some more premium safety features such as a lane departure warning system and an automatic braking system that has been put in place in order to reduce the severity of the damage caused if a collision does incur.
The safety features in this vehicle are phenomenal and are really top of the line, especially if you consider the features included in the Touring.
Government crash tests seem to agree with my opinion, as the 2015 model of the Honda CR-V has received four out of a possible five stars in the frontal impact safety test, as well as an excellent five out of five stars for the side impact test.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated all of the features the highest rating they provide, “good”. The mitigation and crash prevention systems present in the touring were rated by this same institute to be “superior”, which means that this car is a good bet if you’re looking for a vehicle that’s safe.
If we start with fuel economy, the 2015 model of the Honda CR-V has some good stats. The front wheel drive versions of the car can get you an average of around 29 miles per gallon, and the all wheel drive is right behind it with 28 miles per gallon.
Additionally, Honda has upgraded the suspension of the vehicle since last year which has turned it into a much smoother ride, and one that is virtually silent as well thanks to the updated vehicle insulation.
The engine leaves something to be desired, however, and Honda really should’ve made available a more powerful V6 engine at least in the highest level trim of the 2015 Honda CR-V.
Overall, the 2015 model of the Honda CR-V is a solid vehicle, and a reliable purchase to be sure. If you can afford the Touring, it will definitely provide you with enough features to justify its price, and the myriad extra safety features you will get to enjoy really make this a deal breaker.
If you opt for the lower level trims of the 2015 Honda CR-V, you are still going to be getting a solid, fuel efficient, spacious car that will provide you with a great way to drive your family around, and will provide you with an enjoyable driving experience in the process as well, with all the comforts a modern vehicle has to offer.
Pricing and availability
The 2015 Honda CR-V is not yet available in Nigeria, though a few sellers have it. When officially available, you can buy at Honda Dealer outlets near you. 2015 Honda CR-V price in Nigeria is expected to range from N4.5,000,000 to 10,000,000 NGN.
2015 Honda CR-V Specs
Here are a few specs of the 2015 Honda CR-V Compact SUV:
- Beam Headlights: Halogen Headlights, Touring trim offers Projector Beam Headlights, integrated fog lights (except LX trim)
- Power Mirrors: Yes (with folding feature), CR-V Touring adds turn signal indicators
- Power Moonroof: Yes (except for LX trims)
- Power Liftgates: Yes
- Steel Wheels: 16-inches Wheel (LX trims only)
- Alloy Wheels: Yes, 17-inch Wheel (EX and EX-L trims), 18-inch Wheel (CR-V Touring trims)
- HSEA Glass: –
- Rear spoiler: –
- Chrome-tipped exhaust: –
- Grille: –
- Air Conditioning: Yes, but CR-V EX-L and Touring trims offer dual zone Automatic Climate Control
- Media Player: Yes, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback
- Speakers: 4 Speaker System (LX), 6 Speaker System (EX), 7 Speaker System (EX-L and Touring)
- Audio Jack: Yes
- USB Port: Yes, with iPod connectivity
- Voice Recognition: Yes (only Touring trims), optional in EX-L trims
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Display: 7-inch Touchscreen (except CR-V LX)
- Backup Camera: Yes
- Satelite Radio: Yes (EX-L and Touring trims)
- Run Apps: –
- Remote Keyless Entry System: Yes, EX, EX-L and Touring Adds Smart Entry
- Fabric Seats: Yes (LX and EX)
- Leather Seats: Yes (EX-L and Touring)
- 60/40 split fold-down: Yes
- Cruise Control: Yes, CR-V Touring adds Adaptive Cruise Control
- Steering Wheel: Yes Power Steering (Tilt/Telescopic), Leather wrap for EX-L and Touring
- Power Doors: Yes
- Modes: Yes, Econ/Sport Modes
- Power Windows: Yes
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA): Yes
- Traction Control (TRAC): Yes
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS): Yes
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD): Yes
- Brake Assist (BA): Yes
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS): Yes (only in CV-R Touring trims)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW): Yes (only in CV-R Touring trims)
- Airbags: Yes
- Seatbelts: Yes, 3-point seatbelt for all seats and LATCH for kids
- Side-impact door beams: –
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS): Yes
- Engine Immobilizer: Yes
- Anti-theft System with alarm: –
- Engine Type: 2.4-Litre 4-Cylinder, 16-Valve DOHC i-VTEC Engine
- Engine Power: 185 hp @ 6400 rpm
- Engine Torque: 181 lb.-ft. @ 3900 rpm
- Ignition System: Direct Ignition System
- Transmission: 6-speed Automatic Transmission
- Drivetrain: Front Wheel Drive or All-wheel drive
- Brakes: Disc Brakes
- Mileage estimates (mpg city/highway/combined): 27/34/29 mpg (FWD) 26/33/28 mpg (AWD)
- Emmission Rating: Yes, Ultra Low Emission Vehicle II (ULEV-II)
- Width: 71.6 Inches
- Length: 179.4 Inches
- Height (2WD/AWD): 64.7/65.1 Inches
- Wheelbase: 103.1 Inches
- Ground Clearance (2WD/AWD): 6.4/6.8 Inches
- Shoulder Room (Front/Rear): 58.6 / 56.4 Inches
- Hip Room (Front/Rear): 54.5 / 53.1 Inches
- Leg Room (Front/Rear): 41.3 / 38.3 Inches
- Head Room (Front/Rear): 39.9 / 38.6 Inches
Weight & Capacity
- Curb Weight: 1523 to 1643 kg
- Cargo Room (without/with rear seat folded): –
- Fuel Tank: 57.9 Litres
- Seating Capacity: 5
- Towing Capacity: 680 kg
The above features and specs are based on the US models of the 2015 Honda CR-V and may not be exactly the same as models and trims available in your country.
Read Overviews of Honda cars:
- 2015 Honda Pilot
- 2015 Honda Crosstour
- 2015 Honda Fit
- 2015 Honda Accord
- 2015 Honda Civic
- 2010 Honda Accord
- 2010 Honda Civic
- Honda Pilot 2010
- 2009 Honda Accord
- Honda Pilot 2010 SUV Overview
- Honda CR-V 2009
- Honda City 2009 Compact Cars Reviews
- Honda Pilot 2008 SUV Reviews
- Honda Civic Cars Reviews
- Honda CR-V 2008 SUV Reviews
- Honda Vehicle Dealers & Prices