Honda, with the redesigned 2015 Honda Fit, seems to be looking to continue the vehicle’s tradition of enduring popularity as a leading subcompact car, and help make it one of the staples of their vehicular line up.
The Fit is a vehicle manufactured by Japanese car manufacturer Honda. The vehicle is classified as a subcompact car and was introduced about a decade and a half ago in the year 2001.
This makes it relatively new in the Honda family of cars, although the vehicle has already begun making its mark in the world of automobiles through its stylish, compact design as well as its sporty and efficient drive.
The 2015 Honda Fit is available in four different trim levels, with the features included in the vehicle depending on which of these four trims you choose to purchase. These trim levels are, ranging from lowest end to highest and most premium end in this order, LX, EX, EX-L and EX-L with Navi.
The lowest trim level, the LX, comes with 15 inch alloy wheels, and all three higher-end models come with 16 inch alloy wheels.
The car’s design is very snazzy. The curves ensure a good, aerodynamic overall design and the car’s compact look will definitely win a certain niche of the mass consumer market over.
The design of the 2015 Honda Fit also seems to promise more efficient handling, although from the outset it certainly aimed at in-city driving. This car looks like it is best for perhaps a family of four, and would be perfect for a couple or a bachelor or spinster.
The most striking, enjoyable and overall useful feature of the 2015 Honda Fit is its excellent “magic seat”. The term magic seat refers to the rear seat which can be lain completely flat or moved in any way you choose in order to accommodate all manner of cargo.
This magic seat makes up for the fact that the third generation of the Honda Fit does not seem to have a lot of cargo space. However, the 53 cubic feet it does have is well beyond anything that any competitors of this vehicle made by rival car manufacturers have managed to provide this year.
A new addition to the interior of this vehicle is the six speed transmission. All previous models of the Honda Fit had five speed transmission, so this is a nice touch by Honda.
Additionally, Honda has made some improvements under the hood as well. The new engine is still a 1.5 liter four cylinder, but Honda has made certain improvements such as the addition of direct injection technology which has helped make the engine slightly more efficient and powerful.
Honda has also put a lot of effort into providing a much more premium looking interior for the vehicle this time around. The interior of the 2015 Honda Fit is composed of a much higher quality material than last time around, and the seats, which are made of leather, have a heating function which is an excellent touch.
They have also improved the touchscreen, although the touch controls are fidgety and not very intuitive, making them quite frustrating to use.
The 2015 model of the Honda Fit comes with all of the now standard safety features that come installed in the vast majority of cars. These features include anti lock front disc and rear drum brakes, as well as full front and side curtain airbags, with anti lock front disc and rear drum brakes rounding off the standard safety features.
A new addition to the safety features is a commonly introduced safety feature in cars this year. This feature is called blind spot monitoring. It basically involves a camera monitoring the blind spot of the vehicle and displaying it on the seven inch screen. Blind spot monitoring is automatically activated when the right turn signal is turned on.
The braking of the vehicle is not up to scratch, however. The vehicle took five feet longer than average to come to a complete stop from 60 miles per hour.
Government crash tests gave the vehicle a perfect five out of a possible five stars in its frontal and side impact crash testing. The 2015 Honda Fit got mixed results from the the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in the United States.
The bumper of the new model was criticized for providing just barely adequate protection from small overlap frontal collision, and was given the second worst score of “marginal”. However, Honda upgraded the bumper, and made it standard on all of its vehicles, this new bumper got a slightly better rating of “acceptable.”
The 2015 model of the Honda fit takes advantage of its small size by providing a composed, stable drive. The steering is a lot more stable which makes the vehicle a lot easier to keep in lane, and Honda’s noise reduction technology has helped make the car extremely quiet even at very high speeds which helps make for a very pleasant and enjoyable driving experience.
The car also delivers phenomenal fuel economy, providing you with between 35 to 38 miles per gallon depending on which trim you choose.
Overall, the 2015 Honda Fit is one of the most versatile cars you are likely to find in its category, providing surprisingly spacious seating, outstanding fuel economy and brisk, lively drive thanks to the slight improvements made to the vehicles engine.
The new interior design is also excellent, giving the car a much more highend and luxurious feel, and in the process leaving very little to be desired.
Overall, the third generation model of the Honda Fit is one of the better subcompact cars out there, with the only real drawback being a frustrating and difficult to use touchscreen, which doesn’t take away from the overall experience of driving this excellent car.
Pricing and availability
The 2015 Honda Fit is not yet available in Nigeria. When officially available, you can buy at Honda Dealer outlets near you. 2015 Honda Fit price in Nigeria is expected to range from N3,000,000 to 5,000,000 NGN.
2015 Honda Fit Specs
Here are a few specs of the 2015 Honda Fit Subcompact Car:
- Beam Headlights: Halogen Headlights, EX and EX-L offers an Integrated Fog Light
- Power Mirrors: Yes, EX-L trims also adds signal turn indicators
- Power Moonroof: Yes (except for LX trims)
- Power Liftgates: Not Necessary
- Steel Wheels: Yes, 15-inches Wheels (LX trims only)
- Alloy Wheels: Yes, 16-inch Wheels (EX and EX-L trims)
- HSEA Glass: –
- Rear spoiler: Yes
- Chrome-tipped exhaust: –
- Grille: Yes
- Air Conditioning: Yes, with Air Filtration
- Media Player: Yes, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback
- Speakers: 4 Speaker System (LX trims), 6 Speaker System (EX and EX-L trims)
- Audio Jack: Yes
- USB Port: Yes, with iPod connectivity
- Voice Recognition: Available as an optional package for the Fit EX-L
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Display: Yes, 5-inch LCD Display (LX trims only), 7-inch Touchscreen for Entertainment
- Backup Camera: Yes
- Satelite Radio: Yes (EX-L with the optional Navigation Package)
- Run Apps: –
- Remote Keyless Entry System: Yes, EX and EX-L also adds Smart Entry
- Fabric Seats: Yes (LX and EX)
- Leather Seats: Yes (EX-L)
- 60/40 split fold-down: Yes (Magic Seat)
- Cruise Control: Yes
- Steering Wheel: Yes, Power Steering (Tilt/Telescopic)
- Power Doors: Yes
- Modes: Yes, Econ Mode, But Sport Model available on CVT
- Power Windows: Yes
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA): Yes
- Traction Control (TRAC): Yes
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS): Yes
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD): Yes
- Brake Assist (BA): Yes
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS): No
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW): No
- Airbags: Yes
- Seatbelts: Yes, 3-point seatbelt for all seats and LATCH for kids
- Side-impact door beams: –
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS): Yes
- Engine Immobilizer: Yes
- Anti-theft System with alarm: Yes
- Engine Type: 1.5-Litre 4-Cylinder, 16-Valve DOHC i-VTEC Engine
- Engine Power: 130 hp @ 6600 rpm
- Engine Torque: 114 lb.-ft. @ 4600 rpm
- Ignition System: Direct Ignition System
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual (LX and EX trims), Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with dual-mode Paddle shifters for EX-L trims
- Drivetrain: Front Wheel Drive
- Brakes: Front Disc Brakes and Rear Drum Brakes
- Mileage estimates (mpg city/highway/combined): 33/41/36 mpg (CVT) 29/37/32 mpg (6-Speed Manual)
- Emmission Rating: Yes, Ultra Low Emission Vehicle III (ULEV-125)
- Width: 67.0 Inches
- Length: 160.0 Inches
- Height: 60.0 Inches
- Wheelbase: 99.6 Inches
- Ground Clearance: –
- Shoulder Room (Front/Rear): 54.8 / 52.6 Inches
- Hip Room (Front/Rear): 51.5 / 45.1 Inches
- Leg Room (Front/Rear): 41.4 / 39.3 Inches
- Head Room (Front/Rear): 39.5 / 37.5 Inches
Weight & Capacity
- Curb Weight: 1140 to 1198 kg
- Cargo Room (rear seat up/down): 0.470 / 1.492 cubic-metre
- Fuel Tank: 40.1 Litres
- Seating Capacity: 5
- Towing Capacity: –
The above features and specs are based on the US models of the 2015 Honda Fit and may not be exactly the same as models and trims available in your country.
Read Overviews of Honda cars:
- 2015 Honda Crosstour
- 2015 Honda Accord
- 2015 Honda CR-V
- 2015 Honda Civic
- 2010 Honda Accord
- 2010 Honda Civic
- Honda Pilot 2010
- 2009 Honda Accord
- Honda Pilot 2010 SUV Overview
- Honda CR-V 2009
- Honda City 2009 Compact Cars Reviews
- Honda Pilot 2008 SUV Reviews
- Honda Civic Cars Reviews
- Honda CR-V 2008 SUV Reviews
- Honda Vehicle Dealers & Prices