Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro is a more premium variant of the 2019 Redmi Note series. Xiaomi went the way of major flagships this year by also releasing multiple units for a top of the line model instead of one. That is why we got a smaller Redmi Note 8 and this big brother right now.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro
Of course, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro is the true flagship of the bunch. If that is true, what makes it special at all? How about we find out?
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro Key Specs and Features
- 6.53 inch IPS infinity-V Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 10
- Octa-core Mediatek Helio G90T (12nm), Mali-G76MC4
- 64GB 6 GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM
- 64MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP Quad Camera
- 20MP Selfie Camera
- microSD, up to 256 GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- 4000 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Pro version has a larger screen than the standard variant at 6.53 inches, and more of the bezels are chopped off too, giving us about 85% of screen on the front panel.
The back of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro is also made of glass which is protected with the same Corning Gorilla Glass 5 technology as the front.
If that is not enough to give the premium feel, the lustre screen wrapped around a simple waterdrop notch will supply the rest of the effects.
Inside the notch on the front is an impressive selfie camera and a speakerphone grill.
On the back, there is a noticeable difference in how the camera cut out are placed here – with Xiaomi opting for a centre placement even though they retained the horizontal approach.
Of course, we still get quad cameras here – and they are even better than what the smaller brother brings.
We would have preferred to have an in-display fingerprint sensor, but the rear placement will just do for this year for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro.
Fortunately, Xiaomi didn’t think to remove the 3.5mm jack on the base of the unit so we can still keep rocking our headphones. With a USB Type C reversible connector to match, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro lives up to its status of being the bigger bro.
Front or back, the cameras on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro are just as impressive.
A good place to start will be the amazing setup on the back which has a 64 megapixels snapper for wide image capturing, and as the main lens too.
That is followed by an 8 megapixels snapper which handles ultrawide shooting, a 2 megapixels sensor designated to be a macro camera and the final 2 megapixels sensor for depth sensing.
Selfie lovers will not be disappointed by the 20MP snapper that the smartphone offers them either. With the ability to record in HDR, and up to 1080p @ 30fps, the selfie camera holds its own well too.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
The last thing we would have expected was a chipset designed under the 12nm process, but that is just what we have here – in the form of the Mediatek Helio G90T chipset.
This octa-core SoC will run with the Mali-G76MC4 graphics card under the hood for the optimum performance.
All that chipset’s power will be supported by either 6GB or 8GB of RAM. Just like the smaller brother for this unit, the 6GB RAM option will be available across both of the 64GB and 128GB storage options, but the larger RAM option will only come with 128GB.
Internal storage space should not be much of a dealbreaker since the Xiaomi redmi Note 8 Pro will support no less than 256GB via an external microSD card slot.
Leaving storage for a minute, the device launched with the MIUI 10 out of the box, and that is based on the Android 9 Pie from last year.
We do expect the Android phone will be placed on the priority update list for Redmi devices going to Android 10 when the time comes for that to happen.
All the specs we have been listing will be supported by a 4500mAh battery with 18W fast battery charging technology on board. Lest we forget, interested users of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro can pick it up in either of Black, Blue, Red or White.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro Price and Availability
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro price starts at $199. In India price should be around 14,990 INR and in Nigeria it should cost around 100,000 Naira. For Black Friday Jumia will be offering this smartphone for 87,990 Naira.
Although the phone has been announced, the Redmi Note 8 Pro has launch in markets. It is expected to launch in China and India for a start before making it to other regions of the world. Of course, this also means that there is no official pricing data for the units yet.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro:
- Platform: Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 10
- Processor: Octa-core Mediatek Helio G90T (12nm), 2.05GHz dual-core Cortex A76 and 1.95GHz hexa-core Cortex A55
- GPU: Mali-G76MC4
- Memory: 6 GB RAM or 8GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Red, Blue, White
- Dimension: 161.3 x 76.4 x 8.8 mm
- Weight: 199 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Hybrid Dual SIM
- Display: 6.53 inch IPS infinity V Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 aspect ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP Quad Camera, [email protected], [email protected]/60fps/120fps, [email protected] Videos
- Rear Camera Features: PDAF, Dual-LED Flash, HDR, Panorama
- Front Camera: 20MP Camera, HDR, [email protected] Video
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 256 GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: No
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control:
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes, with dedicated mic
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4500 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 18W (Quick Charge 4+)
More on Xiaomi
- Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 10
- Best 5G Phones
- Xiaomi Redmi 9
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 9
- Best 4G Phones
- Xiaomi Mi Note 10
- Xiaomi Mi 10T 5G
- Cheap Android Phones
- Best Android Phones
- Xiaomi Redmi 9A
- Xiaomi Phones
- How to Buy a Smartphone
- Xiaomi Poco M3
- Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro
- Compare Prices of Mobile Phones
- Best Gaming Phones
- Xiaomi Mi 11
- Xiaomi Redmi 9C