The Huawei Mate 40 Pro Plus, may not be the most premium in its series, but it does fit in the position of a more premium sibling to the Huawei Mate 4 Pro. In my view, it was designed for enthusiats who desire a more robust camera hardware, as a large majority of its features are reminiscent of what we have mate 40 Pro.
Where to Buy Huawei Mate 40 Pro+
Huawei Mate 40 Pro Plus Key Specs and Features
- 6.76 inch OLED Display, 1344 x 2772 Pixels (456 PPI), 90Hz Refresh Rate, HDR10
- Android 10; EMUI 11, no Google Play Services
- Octa-core Kirin 9000 5G (5nm)
- 12GB RAM
- 50MP + 12MP + +8MP + 20MP + TOF 3D, (depth) Rear Cameras
- 13MP + TOF 3D Front cameras
- IP68 Dust / Water Resistant
- 66W Fast Charging Capacity
- Fast Wireless Charging 50W
- Reverse Wireless Charging 5W
- 4400 mAh Li-Po Non-Removable Battery
Design and Display
The Mate 40 series bears a similar smartphone design, that trickles down to all its members except the Huawei Mate 40 RS Porsche which is the most premium member of the series.
The fact unraveled in the above paragraph shows that the Huawei Mate 40 Pro plus bears a very similar design coming from the less premium Mate 40 Pro. They are simply identical.
However, please note that we have got a lesser number of color variants on here, the options are Ceramic White and Ceramic Black. As opposed to its less premium sibling, which comes in Mystic Silver, White, Black, Green, and Yellow.
Perusing the chassis reveals the same space ring camera module design as seen on the other mate 40 series members. However, this camera module adds an extra camera, more on that later.
Upfront, we have the same 6.76-inch display coming from the Mate 40 Pro. This display has a resolution of 1344 x 2772 Pixels, a density of 456 PPI, and a 90Hz refresh rate, which comes in as a less premium rendition, in comparison with the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus 5G which has a 120Hz refresh rate.
The build combo on here comprises of glass upfront, glass on the rear, and an Aluminium frame. We also have an IP68 rating for water and dust resistance.
As hinted in the introductory paragraph, the cameras are pretty much the main reason you would want to purchase the Huawei Mate 40 Pro plus in lieu of the regular Mate 40 Pro.
Huawei made some key upgrades, which is most evident in the rear camera department. We have extra cameras, which means we have more sensors facilitating more features.
The cameras on the rear comprise a 50MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.9, a 12MP telephoto camera with 3x optical zoom, an 8MP periscope telephoto camera with an aperture of f/4.4, and 10x optical zoom.
The other members of its rear camera setup include a 20MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/1.4 and a TOF 3D camera for depth sensing. Video record on this camera goes as high as 4k @ 60fps. Amongst the other video record mode is 720p video recording @ 3840fps.
Upfront, we have a 13MP camera with an aperture of f/2.4 and a TOF 3D (Time of flight) camera for depth and Biometrics. This camera is also capable of recording 4k videos @ 60fps, enthusiats can also record 1080p videos up to 240fps.
Hardware and Software
As far as performance hardware is concerned, the upgrades as we move from the Mate 40 Pro to the Mate 40 Pro aren’t very substantial.
The main upgrade here is the RAM, which went from being 8GB on the regular Mate 40 Pro, to be 12GB on the Pro plus. This should bring some improvements to the performance table.
The other performance facilitators include the 5nm Hi-Silicon Kirin 9000 5G processor, a Mali-G78 MP24 GPU, and a non-removable 4400mAh battery.
On the software side, we have got the EMUI 11 interface running on the Android 10 operating system. Please note that due to the US trade ban on Huawei, enthusiasts won’t get Google services on the Mate 40 pro plus.
For connectivity, the Huawei Mate 40 Pro Plus rocks a USB Type-C port, NFC, Bluetooth 5.2, and Dual-band WiFI.
Internet connectivity on the Huawei Mate 40 Pro Plus is maxed at 5G, which means enthusiasts can utilize 5G internet connectivity for downloads, uploads, and streaming.
Huawei Mate 40 Pro Price and Availability
The price of the Huawei Mate 40 Pro Plus is around $1,654, which translates to about 630,174 Naira in Nigeria, 180,035 KSH in Kenya, and 9,643 GHC in Ghana.’
The Huawei Mate 40 Pro Plus was announced on October 22, 2020, and is expected to go on sale as of November 1st, 2020.
Huawei Mate 40 Pro Plus Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei Mate 40 Pro Plus:
- Platform: Android 10, EMUI 11, no Google Play Services
- Processor: Kirin 9000 5G (5nm) (1×3.13 GHz Cortex-A77 & 3×2.54 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4×2.05 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G78 MP24
- Memory: 12GB
- Colours: Ceramic White, Ceramic Black
- Dimension: 162.9 x 75.5 x 8.8 mm
- Weight: 212 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.76-inches 1344 x 2772 Pixels, 456 PPI, OLED, HDR10, 90Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50MP (Primary) f/1.9 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/3.4, 5x optical zoom Optical Zoom + 8MP (Periscope Telephoto)f/4.4 + 20MP (Ultrawide) f/1.8 + TOF 3D, (depth)
- Rear Camera Features: Leica optics, LED flash, Panorama, HDR, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/240/480fps, [email protected], [email protected]
- Front Camera: 13MP (Ultrawide) f/2.4, TOF 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor)
- Built-in Storage: 256GB
- Memory Card Support: Up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G WCDMA: –
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G: 1, 3, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78, 79, 80, 84 SA/NSA/Sub6
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- Maps: –
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Under Display)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes up to 50W + 5W Reverse Wireless Charging
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4400mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 66W Capacity (Wired Charging) + 50W Capacity (Wireless Charging)