Huawei Mate 40 Pro is a more premium variant of the Huawei Mate 40. Huawei has over the past years shown un-ending zeal to keep manufacturing top-notch high-end flagship smartphones despite its lingering US trade-ban. The Successor to the Huawei Mate 30 Pro dubbed the Huawei Mate 40 Pro, is the latest high-end flagship to come out from Huawei’s stables. The highlights of this device include a 5nm processor, a 66W fast charge capacity, and lots more.
Where to Buy Huawei Mate 40 Pro
Jumia Nigeria – See Offers | Jumia Kenya – See Offers | Jumia Ghana – See Offers
Huawei Mate 40 Pro Key Specs and Features
- 6.76 inch OLED Display, 1344 x 2772 Pixels (456 ppi), 90Hz Refresh Rate, HDR10
- Android 10; EMUI 11, no Google Play Services
- Octa-core Kirin 9000 5G (5nm)
- 8GB RAM
- 256GB / 512GB
- 50MP + 12MP + 20MP Triple Rear Camera
- 13MP + TOF 3D Front cameras
- 5G / 4G Connectivity
- IP68 Dust / Water Resistant
- 66W Fast Charging Capacity
- Fast wireless charging 50W
- Reverse wireless charging 5W
- 4400 mAh Li-Po Non-Removable Battery
Design and Display
The Huawei Mate 40 Pro design passes as a replica of the less premium Huawei Mate 40 design, with minute differences. This design also passes being more aesthetically appealing, when compared to last year’s model.
On its build, we have glass on the rear, glass up front, and aluminum on the frame. The chassis bears an IP68 rating for water and dust resistance, which means it enthusiasts have a chance of rescuing their device in cases where it meets water or dust.
Perusing the chassis setup, we discover a 6.76-inch OLED display up front. This display has a resolution of 1344 x 2772 Pixels, a density of 456 PPI, 90Hz refresh rate.
Having a 90Hz refresh rate paired with great processing power can somehow be seen as underutilization, especially when you compare the Mate 40 Pro with smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra 5G which can be placed in the same category.
Taking a more conscious look at the display, we discover it dislodged the notch we had on the Mate 30 Pro and opts for a camera cut-out instead.
The curved edges on both sides of the display as seen on last year’s model were retained, alongside the super-thin bezels, which sums up to polarizing waterfall design.
On the rear, you will find one of the most iconic camera module designs ever seen on a Huawei smartphone. This camera module is designed with two circles, the inner one bears the Leica branding, while the outer ones bear four cameras and an LED flash.
An enthusiast who has a history with iPods can easily describe this camera module design as the iPods dial, however, Huawei likens this design to a space ring, which is inspired by the photo of the first black hole.
The Mate 40 Pro offers pretty much the same color variants as the less premium Mate 40. These color variants include Mystic Silver, White, Black, Green, and Yellow.
Huawei’s continuous collaboration with Leica optics has been nothing but pushing smartphone photography to the limits, make the innovations on Huwaei smartphone cameras to be one of the most anticipated each year.
Huawei didn’t relent this year, as they packed the Mate 40 Pro, with a set of cameras that is tagged as one of the most capable of mobile phones released this year.
The rear camera setup bears a 50MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.9, a 12MP periscope / telephoto camera with an aperture of f/3.4, and a 20MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/1.8.
Comparing this setup to what we have on the standard Mat 40, we notice the telephoto and ultrawide cameras were beefed up, making for a more robust setup.
Upfront we have a 13MP primary camera with an aperture of f/2.4 just like we had on the Mate 40. However, the addition of a TOF 3D (Time of flight sensor) here sets it apart from the Mate 40.
The big news on the performance hardware is the 5nm Hi-Silicon Kirin 9000 5G processor. It pairs with the iPhone 12 as one of the first smartphones to bear a 5nm processor.
The there hardware performance facilitators on the Huawei Mate 40 Pro include 8GB of RAM, storage options of 256GB, and 512GB. This data shows that it drops the 128GB variant on the standard Mate 40.
We also get a non-removable 4400mAh Li-Po battery, which is by 400mAh bigger than that of the standard Mate 40. Boosting battery charge speed is a 66W fast charge mechanism, which falls in the same neighborhood as the 65W fast charge on the OnePlus 8T.
If you still have hopes that Huawei’s US trade-ban is going to get lifted, then this year probably isn’t your year. The trade-ban lingers. As such the Mate 40 pro software is void of Google services.
However, enthusiats who purchase this device will get the EMUI 11 user interface running on the Android 10 operating system.
For connectivity, the Huawei Mate 40 Pro rocks a USB Type-C port, NFC, Bluetooth 5.2, and Dual-band WiFI.
Internet connectivity on the Huawei Mate 40 Pro is maxed at 5G, which means enthusiasts can utilize 5G internet connectivity for downloads, uploads, and streaming.
Huawei Mate 40 Pro Price and Availability
The price of the Huawei Mate 40 Pro starts at around $1,418 for the base 8GB /256GB variant, which translates to about 540,258 Naira in Nigeria, 154,347 KSH in Kenya, and 8,267 GHC in Ghana.
The Huawei Mate 40 Pro was announced on October 22, 2020, and is expected to go on sale as of November 1st, 2020.
Huawei Mate 40 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei Mate 40 Pro:
- Platform: Android 10, EMUI 11, no Google Play Services
- Processor: Kirin 9000 5G (5nm) (1×3.13 GHz Cortex-A77 & 3×2.54 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4×2.05 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G78 MP22
- Memory: 8GB
- Colours: Mystic Silver, White, Black, Green, Yellow
- Dimension: 162.9 x 75.5 x 9.1 mm
- Weight: 212 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.76-inches 1344 x 2772 Pixels, 456 PPI, OLED, HDR10, 90Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50MP (Primary) f/1.9 + 12MP (Periscope Telephoto) f/3.4, 5x optical zoom Optical Zoom + 20MP (Ultrawide) f/1.8
- Rear Camera Features: Leica optics, LED flash, Panorama, HDR, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/240/480fps, [email protected], [email protected]
- Front Camera: 13MP (Ultrawide) f/2.4, TOF 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor)
- Built-in Storage: 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: Up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G WCDMA: –
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
- 5G: 1, 3, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78, 79, 80, 84 SA/NSA/Sub6
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- Maps: –
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Under Display)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: Yes up to 50W
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4400mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 66W Capacity (Wired Charging) + 50W Capacity (Wireless Charging)