The Umidigi Bison is Umidigi’s first foray into rugged smartphones. It is a provision for enthusiasts who desire a smartphone that can survive harsh conditions. Highlights of this smartphone include a shockproof chassis with water and dust resistance, a solid battery life, an 18W fast charge, Push to Talk, Underwater Camera, and lots more.
UmiDigi Bison Key Specs & Features
- 6.3-inch FHD+ Display, 1080 x 2340 Pixels (409 ppi)
- Stock Android 10
- 6GB RAM
- Octa-core MediaTek Helio P60
- 128GB Built-in Storage, up to 256GB Memory Card
- 48MP + 16MP + 5MP + 5MP Quad Rear Camera
- 24MP Front Camera
- IP68 / IP69k (Water / Dust Resistance)
- Customizable Buttons
- PTT (Push-to-talk)
- 4G LTE, Dual-band VoLTE
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side Mounted)
- 5000 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Umidigi Bison chassis was designed to offer top-notch protection against harsh conditions. However, it doesn’t deter its aesthetics. In my opinion, it features one of the best looking designs on rugged smartphones.
The fact that the Bison is marketed as a rugged smartphone gives hints that we should be expecting rating numbers for water and dust rating. It proves that its no slouch, as it features an IP68 rating for water and dust resistance. This rating indicates that it can survive in 1.5m of water up to 30 minutes.
Still on its capabilities that back its title of being a rugged smartphone. It also has an IP69k rating, which indicates its capability to withstand high water pressure of 100 bar and high water temperature of 80 ℃.
Finally, the bison promises drop protection from a height of 1.5m. Which in my opinion covers the most common accidents with mobile phones.
In summary, enthusiasts who purchase this smartphone have little or less to bother about when it comes to fragility. The fact that it doesn’t feature a fragile chassis, coupled with the IP68 and IP69k rating means it’s not gonna surrender to petty accidents.
The display on the Umidigi Bison is a 6.3-inch FHD display with a screen resolution of 2340 x 1080 Pixels. This display has features Gorilla glass protection, which helps improve sturdiness.
The Umidigi Bison packs in a set of capable camera, with numerous features that make mobile photography enjoyable under the right conditions. You have got a camera set up that show the superiority of the likes of the Doogee S88 pro.
On the rear, we have got quad cameras which comprise of a 48MP primary with an aperture of f/1.79, a 16MP ultrawide camera with a 120°, a 5MP depth camera, and a 5MP macro capable of taking shots of objects as close as 2cm. Video modes available here include 1080p, 720p and 480p video recording at 30fps.
Selfies on the Umidigi Bison is manned by a single 24MP camera with an aperture of f/2.0.
Hardware and Software
The performance facilitators on the Umidigi Bison include an Octa-core Mediatek Helio P60 Processor, 6GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128GB UFS 2.1 flash storage for internal storage, with SD-card support up to 256GB and a non-removable 5000mAh battery. It also offers an 18W fast charge.
To keep things cool and ensure everything runs smoothly for gaming and other tasks, the Umidigi Bison features a 4-layer liquid cooling system.
In summary, enthusiasts who purchase this smartphone will be settling for a capable device that promises to run a lot of tasks with little lags.
On the software side, the Umidigi Bison runs stock Android 10 operating system. This means enthusiasts won’t have to bother about bloatware.
The Umidigi Bison features a USB type-c port, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC support, and WiFi connectivity.
Internet connectivity is capped at 4G, which means enthusiasts won’t have access to 5G speed on this device.
Umidigi Bison Price and Availability
Umidigi Bison price starts at around $169 at leading global online stores like AliExpress. The Bison smartphone costs around 76,500 Naira in Nigeria, 22,300 KSH in Kenya, and 1,100 GHC in Ghana.
The Umidigi Bison is currently available for sale and can be purchased from leading online retail stores like Aliexpress.
Umidigi Bison Specs
Here are a few specs of the Umidigi Bison:
- Platform: Stock Android 10
- Processor: Octa-core MediaTek Helio P60 (2.0GHz quad-core Cortex-A73 & 2.0GHz quad-core Cortex-A53)
- GPU: ARM Mali G72 MP3
- Memory: 6GB LPDDR4X RAM
- Colours: Cyber Yellow, Lava Red
- Dimension: 162.5 x 79.9 x 12.8 mm
- Weight: 250g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.3-inch FHD+ 2340 x 1080 Pixels (409 ppi), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 92.7% screen to body ratio
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (Primary) f/1.79 + 16MP (Ultrawide) 120° + 5MP (Depth Camera) + 5MP (Macro Camera) 2.5cm Macro Distance
- Rear Camera Features: Steady handheld night photography, Slow motion video, AI scenes detection, Macro mode, Portrait mode, Panorama mode, HDR, AI Beautify, Ultra wide-angle edge distortion correction, Dual LED flash, Face recognition, Real-time filters 1080p, 720p, 480p video recording, 30fps
- Front Camera: 24MP Camera, Sony ultra-clear front camera, F/2.0, AI Beautify, Face Recognition, Selfie countdown
- Built-in Storage: 128GB UFS 2.1 Flash Storage
- Memory Card Support: Yes, (Up to 256GB)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: B2 /B3 /B5 /B8
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: B1 /2 /4 /5 /6 /8 /19
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: B1 /2 /3 /4 /5 /7 /8 /12 /13 /17 /18 /19 /20 /26 /28A /28B /66
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, Dual-band 4G VoLTE
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.2, Bluetooth HID
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type C
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: Yes
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Google
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes (IP69K)
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 5000 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 18W Fast Charging Capacity