The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G which happens to be Samsung’s third iteration in its Galaxy Fold series, is nothing short of a substantial effort towards perfection, as it packs some imperative features that would have given the Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G a better placing. The Galaxy Z Fold 3 is the predecessor of the Galaxy Z Fold 4 5G.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G
Jumia Nigeria – See Offers | Jumia Kenya – See Offers | Amazon US – See Offers
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G Key Specs and Features
- 7.6-inch, Dynamic AMOLED 2X Capacitive Touchscreen, 1768 x 2208 Pixels, 374 ppi (Unfolded Display)
- 6.2 inches Dynamic AMOLED 2X Cover Display, 832 x 2268 Pixels, 387 PPI (Cover Display)
- Android 11, One UI 3.5
- 12GB RAM
- Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm)
- 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP Triple Rear Camera
- 16MP (Unfolded) Front Camera
- 10MP Cover Camera
- 5G Support
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side-Mounted)
- IPX8 Rating
- 25W Fast Charging Capacity (wired)
- 11W Fast Wireless Charging Capacity
- 4.5W Reverse Wireless Charging
- 4,400 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Having a different rendition in folding mechanism isn’t a thing here, as the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G retains the book unfolding mechanism we saw in the past, which in my opinion still remains very safe and practical. The fact that we have the same mechanism on the Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold shows Xiaomi also agrees with this fact.
With the book unfolding mechanism still in place, enthusiasts are once again served with a cover display as well as an inside display only revealed when the tablet is unfolded.
Samsung didn’t really make any change in the sizes of both displays, as they are basically the same as seen on its predecessor. However, we have got a slightly richer display and an adaptive 120Hz refresh rate on the both cover and inside the display, unlike the fold 2 that only had the high refresh rate in its inside display.
On the cover, we have a 6.2 inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X display, 832 x 2268 Pixels, a density of 387 PPI.
Unfolding the Samsung galaxy Z fold 3 5G reveals a 7.6-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X display, with a resolution of 1768 x 2208 Pixels and a density of 374 PPI.
An Under Display Camera
Having cameras under display the way we have fingerprint sensors, has pretty much been in the works for quite some time.
OEMs like Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo, Realme, and ZTE have come forward with devices bearing this tech. ZTE has even made the Axon 20 5G which has an under-display camera available for purchase.
The fact discussed in the preceding paragraphs shows Samsung isn’t really a pioneer in this field. However, the fact that Samsung is a trendsetter, indicates that having the under-display camera on the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G means we should be seeing more and more OEMs adopting this technology.
Samsung cleverly placed this under-display camera in the unfolding display, which will give you more screen estate.
The Galaxy fold to me has always felt like what the Galaxy note should have been, owing to its prowess with more screen estate. Having the note discontinued and giving the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G the S-Pen support shows Samsung might just have the same thought.
Unlike rendition which felt more natural on the Galaxy Note, the Z Fold 3 doesn’t have a cavity to store the S-Pen. In fact, the S-pen is an added accessory you can purchase for your unit.
Prolly feature models of the Galaxy Fold will have a stowaway for the S-Pen, in view of making usage more seamless.
An Improved Build
Fragility has been an issue with the folds since its first edition, which has also prompted Samsung to make changes that improve durability.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G may not be a tank-like rugged smartphone, but it does add an extra measure to make it less fragile when compared to its predecessor.
This year, Samsung has introduced an IPX8 water rating to the Galaxy fold. This rating indicates the Fold 3 is capable of withstanding water coming from all sides, which means you sort of have one less thing to worry about when using your unit.
Using the on-paper specs as a reference shows the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G cameras aren’t really a very substantial upgrade over what we had on the Fold 2. A lot of the cameras are actually a reminisce.
The rear camera comprises a 12MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, a 12MP telephoto camera with an aperture of f/2.4, and a 12MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2 and a 123˚ field of view. Putting all these cameras together shows we have a rear camera setup reminisced from the Fold 2.
In the selfie department, we have a 10MP punch-hole camera with an aperture of f/2.2, which is the same as seen on for former. While the camera inside the fold takes things up a notch by not just offer more pixels at 16MP but also being an under-display camera as discussed earlier. This camera has an aperture of f/1.8.
Hardware and Software
Having a high-performance smartphone isn’t really as exciting as it uses to be in my opinion, is pretty much very easy to predict specs these days. The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G seems to be wrapped in this web.
We have top-notch specs as expected. The chief of the performance facilitators is its Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor which is a more powerful processor when compared to the Snapdragon 865+ processor on the Z fold 2.
This android phone runs on the same chipset as the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3, the Galaxy S21 FE 5G, and the OnePlus 9RT 5G.
Also on the performance train, the Adreno 660 GPU, 12GB RAM, option for either 256GB or 512GB internal storage, and a non-removable 4400mAh battery which is slightly smaller than the 4500mAh battery on the former.
What’s more, we have 25W fast wired charging, 11W wireless charging, and 4.5 reversed wireless charging.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G features Dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 5.1, and NFC. It also features a USB Type-C port for charging and data transfer.
Internet connectivity is capped at 5G on Fold 3. This means enthusiasts will have the luxury of 5G internet speed, provided they are in an area with 5G reception.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G price starts at around $1,399 at leading online stores. The Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G costs around 800,000 Naira in Nigeria, 225,000 KES in Kenya, 10,821 GHC in Ghana, while enthusiasts in the market for the top-spec, will have to shell out $1,899.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G was announced on August 11th, 2021, and is expected to go on sale on August 27th, 2021.
You may also be interested in the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G:
- Platform: Android 11, One UI 3.5
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm) (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Memory: 12GB RAM
- Colours: Phantom Black, Phantom Silver, Phantom Green
- Dimension: Folded: 158.2 x 67.1 x 16.0mm – Unfolded: 158.2 x 128.1 x 6.4mm
- Weight: 271 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: Unfolded: 7.6 inches QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 1768 x 2208 Pixels, 374 PPI, 120Hz Adaptive Refresh Rate – 6.2 inches Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 832 x 2268 Pixels, 387 PPI, 120Hz Adaptive Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: Gorilla Glass Victus
- Foldable Display: –
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Primary) f/1.8, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS + 12MP (Telephoto)f/2.4 + 12MP (Ultrawide) 123˚
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, Panorama, [email protected], [email protected]/240fps (gyro-EIS), [email protected] (gyro-EIS), HDR10+
- Front Camera: 16MP (Unfolded – Under Display) – 10MP (Cover) f/2.2
- Built-in Storage: 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: 2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 48, 66, 71
- 5G: 2, 5, 25, 41, 66, 71, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 3.2
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: –
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: Yes (Extra accessory)
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: 11W Fast Charging + 4.5W Reverse Wireless Charging
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes (IPX8)
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4400 mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 25W Fast Charging Capacity