Generators are very essential in Nigeria because of epileptic power supply. To ensure your generator lasts longer than a year or two there are a few thing you should do and others you should not do. Here is a few tips on how to and how not to operate your electric generating set.
Where to Buy Power Generators
Jumia Nigeria – See Offers
Power Generator – Dos
Do the following to your power generator for its longevity:
- Fill your generator crankcase with recommended engine oil
- Start generator using manufacturer’s laid down procedure
- Stop your generator according to manufacturer instruction
- Always keep your generator dry
- Read and follow your generator user manual
- Maintain your generator as prescribed by your user manual, Generator Maintenance Tips
- Refuel in a well ventilated area with the engine stopped
- Record the serial number of your generator for future reference
- Use your generator serial number when buying parts
- Allow your gen set to operate at no load for about 1 to 5 minutes for the first start up each day before connecting the load
You may also be interested in Generator Price by brand.
Power Generator – Don’ts
Here are things you should avoid doing to your generator
- Do not operate your gen set at less than 5% its tank capacity
- Do not operate your gen set in an enclosure with poor ventilation
- Keep flammable materials away from your generator
- Do not connect your gen set without an transfer switch properly installed
- Do not operate gen set with engine oil below the gauge level.
- Do not use your key starter for more than 5 seconds at a time
- Do not overload your gen set
- Do not start your generator with the load connected
- Do not stop your generator with load connected except in emergency situations. Disconnect load first
- Do not operate a generator continuously for longer than the generator is meant to last. For example, some generators are built for 5 hours of continuous usage. Consult the user manual of details of how long it can operate continuously.
Related Generator Topics
Paschal Okafor is NaijaTechGuide Team Lead. The article Dos and Don’ts of a Generator was written by . The article was last modified: February 4th, 2022
NaijaTechGuide may receive financial compensation for products/services purchased through affiliate links on this site. See full Affiliate Disclosure Here