Generators are very essential in Nigeria because of epileptic power supply. To ensure your generator lasts longer than a year or two there are a few thing you should do and others you should not do. Here is a few tips on how to and how not to operate your electric generating set.
Power Generator – Dos
Do the following to your power generator for its longevity:
- Fill your generator crankcase with recommended engine oil
- Start generator using manufacturer’s laid down procedure
- Stop your generator according to manufacturer instruction
- Always keep your generator dry
- Read and follow your generator user manual
- Maintain your generator as prescribed by your user manual, Generator Maintenance Tips
- Refuel in a well ventilated area with the engine stopped
- Record the serial number of your generator for future reference
- Use your generator serial number when buying parts
- Allow your gen set to operate at no load for about 1 to 5 minutes for the first start up each day before connecting the load
You may also be interested in Generator Price by brand.
Power Generator – Don’ts
Here are things you should avoid doing to your generator
- Do not operate your gen set at less than 5% its tank capacity
- Do not operate your gen set in an enclosure with poor ventilation
- Keep flammable materials away from your generator
- Do not connect your gen set without an transfer switch properly installed
- Do not operate gen set with engine oil below the gauge level.
- Do not use your key starter for more than 5 seconds at a time
- Do not overload your gen set
- Do not start your generator with the load connected
- Do not stop your generator with load connected except in emergency situations. Disconnect load first
- Do not operate a generator continuously for longer than the generator is meant to last. For example, some generators are built for 5 hours of continuous usage. Consult the user manual of details of how long it can operate continuously.