The Galaxy Xcover 3 is the latest in Samsung’s range of affordable rugged smartphones. This mid-range Android smartphone boasts superior protection and is designed for relatively easy multi-tasking. Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 offers military grade ruggedness with protection against dust, salt, water, and even falls of certain heights.
At a thickness of 9.95 millimetres, Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 could be described as slim to an extent. The weight is equally reasonable at 154 grams. Physical control keys such as home, multi-tasking and back buttons are retained below the screen of the smartphone, making it easy to use in different conditions.
There is also an Xcover key that users can tap on to activate a LED flash or double tap to launch the camera.
Display and Camera
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 sports a 4.5-inch capacitive touchscreen with a resolution of 480 x 800 pixels. The primary camera is a 5 megapixels sensor with flash with support for underwater shooting. For your selfie and video calling needs, there is also a 2 megapixels front-facing camera.
This rugged smartphone is powered by a 1.2GHz quad-core processor – the architecture of which have not revealed. There is RAM of 1.5GB and internal storage capacity of 8GB. If you will need extra space for storing your songs and videos, Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 has a microSD slot that can be used to add extra memory.
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 runs on Android 4.4 (KitKat) operating system out of the box, with this being upgradeable to the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop. Performance is supported by a non-removable 2200mAh battery.
The Xcover range is known for its superior protection; the latest in the series is not different in this regard. Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 retains MIL-STD 810G protection, meaning it is well protected against dust, salt, water, humidity and solar radiation, amongst others.
If the device falls from a height of up to 1.2 metres, you only need to pick it up and get going without issues. Protection is taken to the next level – as reflected by the smartphone’s IP67 certification. The Galaxy Xcover 3 can be kept in fresh water of up to a depth of one meter for 30 minutes without any problem.
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 supports 3G and 4G LTE connectivity as well as Wi-Fi.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 is not yet available in Nigeria. We currently have no data on pricing and availability. When available, Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 Price in Nigeria is expected to range between N25,000 to N35,000 at launch.
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3:
- Platform: Android 4.4.2 (KitKat), upgradeable to Lollipop
- Processor: 1.2GHz quad-core Processor
- GPU: –
- Memory: 1.5 GB RAM
- Colours: Gray
- Dimension: 132.9 x 70.1 x 10 mm
- Weight: 154 g
- SIM Type: SIM
- SIM Count: –
- Display: 4..5-inch Touch Display, 480 x 800 pixels (207ppi)
- Display Protection: –
- Rear Camera: 5 MP Camera, 1080p HD Video
- Rear Camera Features: Geo-tagging, Autofocus, LED Flash
- Front Camera: 2MP Camera
- Built-in Storage: 8GB Storage
- Memory Card Support: Up to 32GB
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes, up to 48kbps
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, microUSB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol:
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- Pedometer: No
- Gyroscope: No
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Water Resistant: Yes (water resistant up to 1 meter and 30 minutes, IP67)
- Dust Resistant: Yes (IP67)
- Rugged: Yes, MIL-STD-810G certified – salt, dust, humidity, rain, vibration, solar radiation, transport and thermal shock resistant
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No (download at store)
- Battery: 2200 mAh Li-ion Battery