Samsung has released a more affordable member of the Galaxy S20 series, dubbed the Samsung Galaxy 20 FE. It is a worthy substitute for users whose budget do not fall within the high price range of the other members in the series. What’s more, It comes in line as the second fan edition smartphone released by Samsung after the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 FE.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE Key Specs & Features
- 6.5-inch, Super AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 120Hz Refresh Rate, 1080 x 2400 Pixels (407 PPI)
- Android 10, One UI 2.5
- 6GB RAM
- Octa-core Exynos 990 Processor (7 nm+)
- 128GB/ 256GB Built-in Storage, With SD-Card Support up to 1TB
- 12MP + 8MP + 12MP Triple Rear Camera and 32MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (under Display)
- 25W Fast Charging (Wired)
- Wireless Charging
- Water and Dust Proof (IP68 certification)
- 4500mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
The Design and Display
Perusing the design of the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE is going to warrant some comparisons with the Samsung Galaxy Note 20. This is facilitated by the resemblance between both smartphones in terms of design.
The main disparity in the design and the design feature that may make differentiating both smartphones easy is the S-pen cavity, which is accustomed to smartphones in the note series.
The rear panel of this device bears a plastic cover, which makes it the second smartphone in Samsung’s flagship lineup released this year that feature plastic in its build. Well, it’s all about cutting costs.
On this rear plastic covering are a camera module housing triple cameras and an LED flash. On the bottom, is the Samsung branding, which indicates its a Samsung smartphone.
Upfront is a 6.5-inch display which is about 0.3 inches bigger than what we got on the Samsung Galaxy S20. Thankfully, this display is based on an AMOLED panel. This display bears a resolution of 1080 x 2400, a density of 407 PPI, and a 120Hz refresh rate.
This display has Gorilla Glass 3 protection, which is a less premium rendition of the Gorilla Glass 6 on the more premium siblings in the series, like the Samsung Galaxy 20 Plus 5G.
Water and Dust Resistance
The fact that the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE is was intended to be the cheapest smartphone in the series didn’t really deter Samsung from featuring protection from water and dust damage. As a matter of fact, have got an IP68 rating here, which dictates water and dust resistance.
The color option available on this device is pretty much very generous, which sort of sets my mind back to the Samsung Galaxy S10e which also had six color variants.
Enthusiasts who desire this smartphone will have the option of six colors which include Cloud Lavender, Cloud Mint, Cloud Navy, Cloud White, Cloud Red, Cloud Orange.
The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE drops some of the camera features of its more premium siblings and picks up some new ones. This fact gives it some leverage.
The rear camera department drops the 64MP telephoto camera on the Galaxy S20 and opts for an 8MP camera instead. The other members of the rear camera department which include a 12MP ultrawide camera and a 12MP primary camera are pretty much the same as on the Galaxy S20.
The absence of a camera sensor as big as 33MP on the rear means enthusiasts will be incapable of attempting an 8k video record. However, they can settle for 4k, 1080p video recording.
The selfie camera made a jump from being a 10MP on the Samsung Galaxy S20 and S20 Plus, to being a 32MP here, which literally means enthusiasts should be expecting a richer image from the front-facing camera. This front-facing camera is also capable of 1080p and 4k video
Hardware and Software
On performance, Samsung bears an Exynos 990 processor, which is in accordance with what we got on the S20 for the international version. However, be aware that the 5G variant of the S20 FE rocks a Snapdragon 865 processor.
Other facilitators of performance here, include an Adreno 650 GPU, 6GB of RAM, 128GB of internal storage, and a non-removable 4500 mAh battery.
Enthusiasts also have the luxury of a 30W fast charging mechanism, as well as 15W wireless charging.
On the software side, the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE runs the One UI 2.5 interface on top of the Android 10 operating system.
The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE features a USB Type C (USB 3.2) port, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, and NFC.
Internet connectivity here is capped at 4G LTE, which means enthusiasts won’t have the luxury of 5G for download, streaming, and uploads. However, there is a Galaxy S20 FE 5G for high speed internet.
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE price starts at around $600 at leading global online stores. The smartphone costs around 260,000 Naira in Nigeria, 9,300 EGP in Egypt, 64,000 KHs in Kenya.
The martphone was announced on September 23rd, 2020, and is expected to go on sale as of October 2nd, 2020.
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE:
- Platform: Android 10, One UI 2.5
- Processor: Octa-core Exynos 990 (7 nm+)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Colours: Cloud Lavender, Cloud Mint, Cloud Navy, Cloud White, Cloud Red, Cloud Orange
- Dimension: 159.8 x 74.5 x 8.4 mm
- Weight: 190 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.5-inch Super AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 2400 Pixels, 20:9 Ratio, 407 PPI Density
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (wide) f/1.8, 26mm + 8MP (Telephoto) f/2.0, 73mm + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2, 123˚, 13mm
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, auto-HDR, panorama,
- Front Camera: 32 MP Camera, f/2.0, 26mm (wide), HDR, 4K, 1080p
- Built-in Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes (up to 1TB)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: B1(2100), B2(1900), B4(AWS), B5(850), B8(900)
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B12(700), B13(700), B17(700), B18(800), B19(800), B20(800), B25(1900), B26(850), B28(700), B32(1500), B66(AWS-3), B38(2600), B39(1900), B40(2300), B41(2500)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE:
- 5G: –
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, DFF, DSF, APE
- Video Player: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with Stereo Speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo
- Maps: Yes (Google Maps)
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: –
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes (Bixby, Google Assistant)
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-removable 4000mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 30W (Wired) +15W (Wireless)