On the surface, the Umidigi Bison GT2 5G seems like just a 5G variant of the Umidigi Bison GT2, but it is much more. It is more like a supercharged GT2 with a more powerful and more efficient processor. Umidigi Bison GT2 5G alongside the Bison GT2 Pro 5G are the first set of smartphones from Umidigi to offer 5G connectivity.
Where to Buy UmiDigi GT2 5G
Umidigi Bison GT2 5G swaps out the Mediatek Helio G95 in the GT2 for a more powerful and more efficient Mediatek Dimensity 900. This means it should offer a better overall performance. For this reason the Bison GT2 5G should also be a better gaming phone.
Wondering what the differences between the Umidigi Bison GT2 5G and Bison GT2 Pro 5G? The GT2 5G is built on an AG Matte fiberglass finish and has 128GB built-in storage while the GT2 Pro has an Industrial rubber finish and 256GB built-in storage. This is basically it.
Umidigi GT2 5G Key Specs and Features
- 6.50-inch IPS Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels (405 ppi), 90 Hz Refresh Rate, 20:9 Aspect Ratio
- Android 11 or Android 12 via OTA
- Mediatek Dimensity 900 (6nm) Octa-Core Processor
- 8GB LPDDR4X RAM
- 64 MP + 8 MP + 5 MP Triple Rear Camera
- 24 MP Front Camera
- Underwater Camera
- 128GB Built-in Storage
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side Mounted)
- Push to Talk (PTT)
- Face Unlock
- NFC Support
- Google Pay Support
- Two Customizable Buttons
- Built-in FM Antenna
- Infrared Thermometer
- Liquid Cooling System
- Rugged Build: IP68, IP69K, MIL-STD-810G
- High Precision Bosch Altimeter and Barometer
- 4G LTE Support
- 5G Support
- Wi-Fi 6 and Dual-band Wi-Fi
- 18W Fast Charging Capacity
- 6150 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Umidigi Bison GT2 5G is premium rugged smartphone designed to support harsh environments with military grade toughness. It is built on an AG Matte fiberglass finish that is reinforced in the corners.
The body is watertight and airtight resulting in IP68, IP69K, and MIL-STD-810G certification. This Umidigi Bison Rugged smartphone can withstand falls of up to 1.8 meters.
With an IP68 rating the smartphone can survive up to 30 minutes in up to 1.5 meters of water making underwater photography possible. This rating also means it can withstand dust and sand.
With IP69K rating the Umidigi Bison GT2 5G can also withstand steam at up to 100 bars (1450 psi) or water pressure and water temperatures of up to 80 ℃.
Umidigi Bison GT2 5G has a 6.5-inch display with 1080 x 2400 pixels resolution and 20:9 aspect ratio. The display is great for watching movies and browsing the web. It also supports 90Hz refresh rate and up to 180Hz touch sampling rate making it also great for gaming.
Add this to the massive battery and a powerful and efficient processor and you have in your hands one of the best rugged phones for gaming.
Umidigi Bison GT2 5G features a triple camera setup on the back. You get a 64 megapixels wide angle lens with an aperture of f/1.8 and 81° FOV, a 5 megapixels macro camera with f/2.2 aperture and 88° FOV, and an 8 megapixels ultrawide camera with a 117° field of view and f/2.2 aperture.
This is a good camera for capturing all those memorable occasion even in 4K. Note that while this camera is a lot the same as the Bison GT2 and Bison GT2 Pro, both can only do full HD video recording, only the cameras on this 5G variants supports 4K ultra HD video recording
The camera also offer improved performance in low light and night photography. You also get panorama shots, face recognition, HDR and dual-LED flash.
In the front, you get an AI enhanced 24 megapixels camera with f/2.0 aperture for taking selfies and for Face Unlock.
Hardware and Software
Umidigi Bison GT2 5G runs Android 12 on a Mediatek Dimensity 900 (6nm) Octa-Core chipset. This is the same chipset in smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy M53, the Infinix Zero 5G, and Tecno Pova 5G. The chipset is built on a dual-cluster architecture with a dual-core Cortex-A78 processor clocked at 2.4GHz and hexa-core Cortex-A55 clocked at 2.0GHz.
Note that the smartphone may also come with Android 11 out of the box. However, in this case Android 12 will be available via OTA.
The smartphone offers 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB UFS 2.1 built-in storage. This combined the processor should offer enough performance to make this android phone good for gaming.
If you need more storage, the SIM2 slot is a hybrid slot that also doubles as a micrSD slot. The slot supports up to 512GB of additional storage via a memory card.
With a 6150 mAh battery built-in and an efficient processor, you expect a good battery stamina from this smartphone. It also features a fast charger with an 18W charging capacity.
You also get useful outdoor tools like high precision Bosch Almeter and Barometer as well as other useful tools like Compass, Pedometer, Magnifier, Plumb bob, Protractor, Noise Test, Gradienter, etc.
The android phone has a built-in FM antenna. You do not need to plug in a headphone to the 3.5mm jack to listen to FM radio, which is more convenient. You get a 3.5mm headphone jack, a USB Type-C port, NFC, and Bluetooth 5.0.
It supports 4G LTE with dual 4G VoLTE and dual-Wi-Fi including Wi-Fi 6. It also support 5G connectivity on both SIM slots.
Umidigi Bison GT2 5G Price and Availability
Umidigi Bison GT2 5G price starts around $238.99 at leading online stores like AliExpress. The Bison GT2 5G is expected to cost about 195,000 Naira in Nigeria, 3,500 GHC in Ghana and 54,500 KES in Kenya.
The smartphone is currently available for purchase on leading retail stores like AliExpress and Jumia. It was launched in December, 2021.
Umidigi Bison GT2 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Umidigi Bison GT2 5G:
- Platform: Android 11 or Android 12
- Processor: Mediatek Dimensity 900 (6nm) Octa-Core Chipset (2.4GHz dual-core Cortex-A78 and 2.0GHz hexa-core Cortex-A55)
- GPU: ARM Mali-G68 MC4
- Memory: 8GB LPDDR4X RAM
- Colours: Storm Grey
- Dimension: 172.2 x 83.9 x 12.9 mm
- Weight: 280 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.50-inch IPS Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels (405 ppi), 90Hz Refresh Rate, 180Hz Touch Sampling Rate, 20:9 Aspect Ratio, ∼70.6% screen-to-body ratio
- Screen Protection: Yes
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64 MP (wide-angle), f/1.8, PDAF, 81° FoV + 8 MP (ultra-wide angle), f/2.2 117° FoV + 5 MP (macro) F/2.4, 2.5cm, 88° FoV
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus, HDR, Touch Focus, Night mode, Dual-LED Flash, Real-time Filters, Face detection, 1080p Full HD Videos, 2160p 4K Ultra HD Videos
- Front Camera: 24 MP Camera, f/2.2, 1080p Full HD Videos
- Built-in Storage: 128GB UFS 2.1
- Memory Card Support: up to 512 GB microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 900 1800 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 900 1700 1900 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: 850 1900 2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: LTE-FDD Bands B1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 25 / 26 / 28A / 28B / B66, LTE-TDD Bands B34 / 38 / 39 / 40 / 41
- 5G: 5G Bands NR: N1 / 2 / 3 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 20 / 25 / 28 / 38 / 40 / 41 / 66 / 77 / 78 / 79
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Wi-Fi 6, Wi-Fi Direct, Dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.2
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type C (USB 2.0), USB on the Go, OTG
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes, POP3, IMAP4, SMTP
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes (With Built-in Antenna, no need to connect headphone)
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, dual-band GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: Yes
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Side Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes (Google Pay)
- Water Resistant: Yes, IP68, IP69K, MIL-STD-810G
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 6150 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 18W Fast Charging Capacity