Sumec Firman Generators SPG Series 1.3KVA to 6.0KVA
Sumec Firman SPG series are a range of value for money petrol powered generators. Sumec Firman SPG generators are affordable, reliable, and easy to use and are increasingly becoming popular in Nigeria. Sumec Firman generators are the best value for money generators in the Nigerian market today.
Take the stress from refueling your generator with battery powered Siphon pumps
In this page, we will review Sumec Firman SPG series of power generators that can handle domestic and small commercial applications. This review will focus on Sumec Firman SPG 1800, Sumec Firman SPG 2500, Sumec Firman SPG 3000, Sumec Firman SPG 3800, Sumec Firman SPG 4500, Sumec Firman SPG 5000, Sumec Firman SPG 6500, and Sumec Firman SPG 8500. If you are planning to buy a generator for your home or small business, one of these Sumec Firman generators should be on your list.
We will now go through the highlights or key features of the SPG range of Sumec Firman generators.
All members of the Sumec Firman SPG series feature a one cylinder, four stroke petrol engines. The engines vary in capacity depending on rated output power.
Here are engines offered on Sumec Firman generators under review:
- Sumec Firman SPG 1800 (SPE 160 163cc, 5.5hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 1800E1 (SPE 160E 163cc, 5.5hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 1800E2 (SPE 160E 163cc, 5.5hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 2500 (SPE 160 163cc, 5.5hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 2500E1 (SPE 160E 163cc, 5.5hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 2500E2 (SPE 160E 163cc, 5.5hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 3000 (SPE 200 196cc, 6.5hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 3000E1 (SPE 200E 196cc, 6.5hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 3000E2 (SPE 200E 196cc, 6.5hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 3800 (SPE 270 270cc, 9hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 3800E1 (SPE 270E 270cc, 9hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 3800E2 (SPE 270E 270cc, 9hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 4500 (SPE 270E 270cc, 9hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 4500E1 (SPE 270E 270cc, 9hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 4500E2 (SPE 270E 270cc, 9hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 5000 (SPE 340 337cc, 11hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 5000E1 (SPE 340E 337cc, 11hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 5000E2 (SPE 340E 337cc, 11hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 6500 (SPE 390 389cc, 13hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 6500E1 (SPE 390E 389cc, 13hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 6500E2 (SPE 390E 389cc, 13hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 8500 (SPE 440 163cc, 15hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 8500E1 (SPE 440E 163cc, 15hp)
- Sumec Firman SPG 8500E2 (SPE 440E 163cc, 15hp)
Each model comes in three variants the E1 and E2 variants feature the E suffix engines which comes dual-start: recoil start (rope and grip) and electric start (key start). The basic or entry level variant in each model features the basic engine offering only recoil start (rope and grip). All these generators feature Transistor Controlled Ignition TCI system.
Key start models take out the hassle from starting your generator, just use the key, and turn clockwise. The Electric starting models come with 12v battery.
The engine system of the Sumec Firman SPG series generators is equipped with an oil alert system. The oil alert system continuously monitors the oil level in your generator’s crankcase, automatically shutting down the engine if oil level falls below safe limits. This can save your generator from serious engine damage, but always ensure oil is within safe limit before starting a generator.
Sumec Firman generators sold in Nigeria are single phase 220v, 50Hz generators. In some countries Sumec Firman generators may also be available in 60Hz for 110v. All generators under review also come with 12V DC output for battery charging. The DC output can handle up to 8.3A. Three phase models come in either 380v or 400v.
Power ratings of Sumec Firman generators depend on voltage frequency, with 60Hz having higher power output rating than the 50Hz for the same nameplate. For example while Sumec Firman SPG 3000 50Hz generattor is rated 2.5KVA, the 60Hz variant is rated 2.8KVA. In Nigeria, only 50Hz generators are available as public power supply is 50Hz.
Here is the rated power output of Sumec Firman 50Hz and 60Hz generators:
- Sumec Firman SPG 1800 /E1/E2 (50Hz: 1.3KVA, 60Hz: 1.5KVA)
- Sumec Firman SPG 2500 /E1/E2 (50Hz: 2.0KVA, 60Hz: 2.2KVA)
- Sumec Firman SPG 3000 /E1/E2 (50Hz: 2.5KVA, 60Hz: 2.8KVA)
- Sumec Firman SPG 3800 /E1/E2 (50Hz: 2.8KVA, 60Hz: 3.1KVA)
- Sumec Firman SPG 4500 /E1/E2 (50Hz: 3.3KVA, 60Hz: 3.6KVA)
- Sumec Firman SPG 5000 /E1/E2 (50Hz: 4.0KVA, 60Hz: 4.5KVA)
- Sumec Firman SPG 6500 /E1/E2 (50Hz: 5.0KVA, 60Hz: 5.5KVA)
- Sumec Firman SPG 8500 /E1/E2 (50Hz: 6.0KVA, 60Hz: 6.6KVA)
Generators ideally should be operated below 50% of rated power. Although a generator can operate above rated power, it is not advisable to do so for long. Do not operate a generator above rated power for more than 15 minutes. Never operate a generator above maximum power.
If you want to buy Sumec Firman generators, ask the dealer to show you the generator rating on the panel. The maximum and rated power will be printed on the panel. Base your generator on rated power (not maximum power). Ensure you are buying the correct rating.
Other features of the Sumec Firman generators include:
Automatic Voltage Regulation, AVR
Sumec Firman generators feature Automatic Voltage Regulation, which ensures that voltage output and frequency are stable thereby preventing voltage fluctuation, which can cause problems for your gadgets. All Sumec Firman Generators starting come with AVR built-in.
Fuel and Tank Capacity
Sumec Firman SPG series generators require unleaded gasoline. The manufacturer recommends unleaded gasoline with a pump octane rating of 86 or higher. Do not bother about the technicalities, just go to a filling station and buy petrol. Do not buy from the road side or from a filling station you do not trust. Also ensure that gasoline is not contaminated with dirt, water, or engine oil. Do not mix petrol and engine oil together. Ensure that the fuel tank, Jerry can, and funnel are free of any contamination.
Sumec Firman SPG 1800, SPG 2500, and SPG 3000 come with 15 litre fuel tank, while other models under review feature 25 litre fuel tank.
Engine oil & oil capacity
Sumec Firman SPG series generators run on 4-stroke automotive detergent engine oil. The manufacturer recommends engine oil with engine oil classification API service of SE, SF or higher. SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general use. Fill the crankcase with the recommended engine oil before starting the engine. Always check the engine oil level before starting the engine. Sumec Firman SPG 1800, SPG 2500, and SPG 3000 come with 0.6 litre oil capacity, while other models under review feature 1.1 litre oil capacity.
Sumec Firman generators feature AC and DC circuit breakers. The generators have circuit breakers for AC and DC outputs that continuously monitor loading conditions and automatically trips if there is a short circuit or an overload. If this occurs reduce the load before attempting to start your generator again.
Low oil warning system
Sumec Firman SPG generators are equipped with a low oil warning system. The low oil warning system continuously monitors the oil level in your generator’s crankcase, automatically shutting down the engine if oil level falls below safe limits. This can save your generator from serious engine damage, but always ensure oil is within safe limit before starting a generator.
Even more features
- Electric Starter with key (E1 and E2 models)
- Fuel meter
- Volt meter
- Float Carburator
- Brush type Alternator
- Portability Kit with handle and wheels (E2 models only)
- Engine model: SPE 200E – 6.5hp 196cc engine
- Battery: 12v, 7.5Ah
- Power factor: 1
- Pilot Lamp indicates that your Sumec Firman generator is working properly
- Fuel sediment cup: The fuel sediment cup prevents dirt and/or water from flowing from the fuel tank to the carburettor
The E1 prefix models come with key starter and rope and grip, while E2 prefix models adds portability kits including wheels and handles. Models with no prefix lacks key starter, and wheels.
Generator Related Topics
- Power Generators an Intro
- Elemax Generators Overview: 2.2KVA to 5.6KVA
- Sumec Firman Generators Review: SPG 3000
- Take the stress from refueling your generator with Siphon pumps
- Tiger generators
- Elemax generators
- Distributors/dealers of generators
- Prices of Generators
- Sakr accredited distributor GE
- Generators Maintenance
- Sakr for Perkins GE and so on
- Starting a generator
- Generators Buy Guide
- Dos & Don’ts of a genset